1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would changing stocks on like guns change POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I have 2 mod 12 pigeon grades. One which I had been shooting had adjustable comb and pad installed by Country Gentleman. This guns was and is in excellent condition but I had another highly engraved Mod 12 that I decided I wanted to start shooting. It is a prize for me and within a year or so I will take the gun to Wrights and have them make it like new. I took the adjustable stock off of the one and put it on the engraved gun. Should this have changed how I shoot the mod 12 since I was using same stock and the adjustments were not changed. I shot the one that I took the stock off very well. High 80s to mid 90s. Now however, since I have swapped and shooting the different mod 12 I am shooting the worst ever. I would have thought they would shoot identically. If they are supposed to then I am in a real funk!!!

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

there are no 2 stocks a like. even changing a recoil pad can affect your poi. suggest hang 2 of the model 12's on the wall, and shoot the one you shoot best with. having more than one gun to shoot will screw you up big time.
    steve balistreri

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to the patterning board and see if the two guns have the same POI using the same stock on both guns. HMB

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Even two shotguns of the same make and model are not likely to be "identical" and will very likely shoot to somewhat (in some cases I have seen greatly)different points of impact, depending on many factors. Thus simply swapping out stocks will not necessarily work in moving the POI of one to the other. Each gun is a rule unto itself, and will require adjustments to shoot to the POI you want. A stock that works well on one will thus not necessarily work just the same on another gun.

Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.