1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would An OVAL Choke be an advantage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by E. Beaver, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Most of my misses are due to improper lead. I don't seem to miss many due to elevation lead.

Has anyone tried an ovalized choke to spread the pattern out more in a horizontal fashon.

I'm thinking one could grind in an oval or snimply reshape it in a vise. My guess is that a .005 change would make a difference.

Anyone out here try anyting like this?

Charlie

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I doubt that .005" would accomplish anything worth the effort. I've compared the patterns from a Briley extended Mod (.020" constriction) with a IMod (.025" constriction) and could not see a meaningful difference by just looking.<center>
    [​IMG]
    The SEALS used a machined duckbill to spread a load (it wasn't a big hit in combat)<br><br><br><br>
    [​IMG]
    and a few field guns of the 60's and 70's offered chokes using the same concept (not very useful past 30 yards)</center><br><br>

I can see any advantage that might be gained for hard angles being lost for straights and quarter angles. There are only so many pellets to distribute.

Mike K

3. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Looking, again, at Dr. A.C. Jones, it seems the shape of the exit would be irrelevant to the final shape of the flight path of the pellets. Jones reports on a test whereby a shotgun is aimed at a target with half of the blast stopped in flight by a wall. The remaining half of the pellets still exhibited a mostly circular, random pattern at 35 yards. One would expect that there would be a distinct delineation that represented the interference of the wall. Sure, there were fewer pellets, but they expanded as expected into a random, circular pattern.

I would deduce that a similar effect would be observed if the choke part of the barrel was oblong, round, square, or whatever shape. Regardless of how the pellets leave the muzzle, they seem to form into a circular pattern at the POI.

Here's another question, based on the Jones description. If both barrels of a SxS were fired simultaneously, would the resulting pattern be circular or oblong?

Larry

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>Here's another question, based on the Jones description. If both barrels of a SxS were fired simultaneously, would the resulting pattern be circular or oblong?</i>

That is pretty simple ... it depends on where the barrels are regulated. Most game-guns are regulated at 28-30 yds, so you have overlap there, and (much) shorter/longer you have lazy-8s.

Wildfowl guns and trap guns ... 35-37yds.

Bob

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Vertical or Horizontal ?

GB
    DLS

6. johnpe

johnpe Member

Quite a few years ago - probably 40 or 50 - a company, I think it was Armalite, developed a choke that could be purchased on their aluminum shotgun with a 2:1 or a 4:1 aspect ratio. It didn't go over very big in the real world.

Johnpe

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Too many people think of shot patterns in terms of what they see on the paper, A flat disk with pellets dispersed in a circle. The reality is a blimp shaped cloud or sausage like cluster flying to the target area. If you cut off the top or bottom, etc the rest will still disperse like Larry says.

HM

8. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

The mention of armalite instigated a search in that area and I came up with an interesting article in Guns&Ammo re ArmaLite. No mention of chokes but a good read nontheless.

Charlie

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

<EM>"The SEALS used a machined duckbill to spread a load (it wasn't a big hit in combat)"</EM>

Actually that is intended to be used as a breaching device.....NOT to enlarge a pattern.

10. pweld

pweld TS Member

The older I get the less memory that I have but I thought Herb Orr tried something like an elongated pattern back in the 70's. I know I had him put a super 16 in my BT and it did wonders for me.

Paul Welden

11. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

What about those guys who always miss the straight-away from post 3?

:) GAP

12. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

"The SEALS used a machined duckbill to spread a load (it wasn't a big hit in combat)"

<I>"Actually that is intended to be used as a breaching device.....NOT to enlarge a pattern."</I>

<br><br><br>221...I don't see breaching mentioned at all; I DO see a couple references to "spreading"...<br><center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Mike K

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    HK installed such a choke on some of their contract guns for Israel. They were designed to made a narrow horizontal, wide vertical pattern out of an HK512 shotgun. Reported purpose was for use in narrow aisles as found in buses and airplanes. To alter the pattern the gun was turned 90 degrees.

14. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Ralph Sargeant of Lakeland, Florida "invented" a similar choke for oval patterns. I believe he got it patented. It was finally marketed under the name "Gator-Choke" I believe. It did not sell well and quickly faded from the scene. Mike

15. 682LINY

682LINY Member

not a lot of breaching work on a grass hut,,, with that said , what is written is not all ways right,, and what is seen is not always understood

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The choke in my TMX has a normal round bottom below the half way area and an oval in the top half. Wilkinson said he did not do it. But the concentric rings do not lie. Shoots good Ollie

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Maybe it would be easier to make OVAL shot......LOL

18. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Seems like you could just put your barrel in a vice and smash it a bit and see how it works... seems simple enough..

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

We miss in feet not inches.

There is not any short cuts in learning to center targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

oval choke

oval shaped shotgun choke