1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would a double powder charge blow up your gun?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dale58, Dec 29, 2015.

1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

If you somehow got a double powder charge in a reload, would it be enough to blow up your gun?

2. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

It might, depending on the gun. But have you ever tried, on purpose, to put a double charge of powder in a hull.? My hunch is if you tried, you would notice something was wrong on the wad insertion (lots more pressure than usual) and would have shot spilling out after the shot drop. It's real hard to put a double powder charge and the rest of the components in a hull and get it to crimp.

Claypoppy, WesleyB, llukesh and 1 other person thanked this.
  3. grizquad

grizquad Active Member

I agree with Nebs, depending on powder and gun. But you would probably notice the shot spilling out and the wad sticking out not allowing the crimp process if it got that far without you seeing it. Steve

dale58 thanked this.
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

A lot of tests have been done with shot shells and large powder charges and shown that the answer is actually "no". However, nothing's a certainty when it comes to playing with gun powder. I wouldn't try it.
    Some powders are much easier to double than others but likely as stated it would be obvious.

I assume you are speaking of shot shells. Metallic on the other hand, can be double charged much easier with certain calibers and powders. Metallic over charges would be more likely to come apart with their higher pressures.

golfman and dale58 thanked this.
  5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I agree with all that has been said, except it is possible to double charge a shot shell and not notice. For example, duplicating a Nitro 27 load using TiteGroup, a double charge could easily pass undetected in you were using a Fig-8 wad instead of a TGT-12. Even so, I don't think it would blow up the gun unless there was an obstruction in the bore.

SAAMI proof loads are in the 20,000psi range. Tom Roster did a series of tests on Remington 870 barrels. He started with 20,000psi loads and went all the way up to 50,000 and nothing happened. The barrel did not even bulge. However, when he went up to 55,000psi he got spectacular failures with banana peeling forward of the chambers.

Steve W and dale58 thanked this.
  6. mac1

mac1 Active Member

37 grains of Red Dot and a trimed wad to make it close won't do it in an Ithaca. I tried just to see.

Mac

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

37 grains of red dot in my 1100 sent me back a pad two different times. Reloads from a pw 800b. Wads we're giving trouble and forgot lever up or down for next stroke. You couldn't tell by looking at the shell. I thought my gun broke in half the way it kicked.

8. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I never said it was impossible to double charge a reload, I just said it was hard to do. It becomes much easier when one is not paying close enough attention to what one is doing. Sounds like mac1 went out of his way to modify his components to make it fit. 2500HD was not paying close enough attention. And 2500HD, after that first double charge, I would have stopped right there and gone and weighed the rest of those loads looking for ones that were too heavy by the amount of the powder charge. I suspect the handle was harder to pull when those double charged hulls were at the wad seating station and the crimp station. You must have really compressed the wad. Thank God you weren't harmed.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

34 grains of 700X in a nitro hull didn't do my 1100 in. I had it happen twice before I figured out what was happening. An extra return spring on my MEC 650 stopped it.

10. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

a double charge the wad is sticking up a 1/4 of an inch over the case mouth, even a charge and a half, is over the crimp line, I cant see how you could load it

11. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

It won`t fit.

12. fhelbig

fhelbig Member

I have pieces of a model 37 Ithaca that was my brothers that blew up skeet shooting station #4 have no idea what happened, broke first bird blew up on second bird. No one hurt just a scratch.

13. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

No offense Nebs but I was paying close attention. when I was having trouble with the wad not entering the hull squarely your focus tends to focus on the problem spot. I had shot spillage several times fighting that reloader. I never had so much trouble with a reloader as I did with that pw. Others love them. I hate em.

14. grntitan

Of what powder? Not every powder has the same consistency. You can not generalize all types of shotgun powders.

15. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

No offense taken. But you did say, and I quote:

"Wads we're giving trouble and forgot lever up or down for next stroke."

This suggests to the causal reader you were not paying close enough attention to what you were doing.

Could too much powder be the cause of the shot spillage?

16. grntitan

I decided to see if it's possible using my normal components. I took pictures but obviously you have to trust that I did what I'm insinuating.

19.0 grains of Green Dot
    image.jpeg

Doubled to 38.0 grains of Green Dot
    image.jpeg

Remington STS hull and a Downrange Fig 8 wad
    image.jpeg

1-1/8oz of #8 shot
    image.jpeg

All components in
    image.jpeg

Loaded on my MEC 600jr
    image.jpeg

The finished double charged shotshell
    image.jpeg

The finished shell is domed significantly at the top but easily went into the chamber of my trap gun. I did have to use an extra amount of force to get it to crimp but as you can see, even with the fluffy Green Dot powder, it is quite possible for a double charge shotshell to happen. Keep in mind, this was on my single stage MEC. Using this single stage loader, I would have easily noticed something not right as the shot was at the top of the hull. Had this been on my Pacific progressive loader, I may not have noticed it.

Note: For all you nanny panties, the shell was loaded with a spent primer and then dismantled afterwards.

Geoman15, Neil Winston, FWP and 5 others thanked this.
  17. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I'll see what I can produce with my 366.

18. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

If you were using some Winchester ball powder, you might not notice much of a difference since it takes about half as much space as something like red dot. But the normal powders like red dot, green dot, clays, 700x, universal clays, international clays, promo, etc. they all take roughly the same amount of space.

19. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Had it happen once on a P/W Platinum - told me it was time to rebuild the machine (Thank you Whiz White!).

Went from 16.5 grains of Promo to 33 grains - under 7/8 ounce of lead in a AA hull. Brain fart on my part - I was throwing double charges of shot and was making a mess - didn't carry over that double shot probably meant double powder... Ended up weighing about 250 shells - found two others that were over charged.

DT-10 went 'bang' and the target broke - felt more like a handicap load or hunting load - no ill effect on the gun.

20. grntitan

I could have done it on my 366, but I didn't want to risk the mess if a few pellets over flowed. Plus I have mine set up and loading. I would have had to pull all the shells in progress.

Search tags for this page

charge and a half of powder

shot shell double charge