1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Would $5.00 gas curtail YOUR trapshooting??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Uncle Sam, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Just wondering.....I mean the American media is talking 5 buck gas by Memorial Day, right when a lot of trapshooting just gets into full swing. I remember $4.00 gas in the summer of 2008 and it hurt big time but soon fizzled out and went back down. I can't imagine it helping trapshooting, but, what say YOU? Will it make a difference in your schedule?...........Uncle Sam, Pa.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I paid 3.78 to fill up this afternoon, and as the gas was pumping, I was mentally calculating the cost to get to a shoot 12-14hrs away, and even in a car that gets 30mpg, it would not be an affordable proposition ($300 in gas round trip for me to get to Sparta/St Louis @ $5/gallon).

I typically make 3-4 out of state shoots a year, am only really planning on one and maybe two this year, and if gas goes to $5/gallon, those might be out of the picture as well.

Will also be reevaluating even some of the local shoots that are an hour or so away, and deciding if they are really worth it for me or not if gas gets in the $5/$6 range.

I have 4 really nice shoots that are 30 minutes or less from my house, if gas hits $5 or higher, there's a good possibility that those will be the only ones I do this summer.

Its not that I can't afford to do it, but is the expenditure of $ really worth it for what I get out of it.

3. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

When gas was over 4.00 a gal I shut down. No long trips anywhere. I go to work, get food from the supermarket and thats about it. Our economy will never recover if gas prices continue to stay where they are at. Just my though.

Jason in PA.
    recently unemployed.
    part time worker, full time student for now.

4. In plain view

In plain view Member

Living here in So. Cal will force me to hit the brakes. Gas this am at a station I use was $439.9 for 87 grade. Going higher each day. Just cancelled a 5 case order of shells today and now I have to re-evaluate my planned trip to the Nevada State Shoot. Looks like Kingsberg is going to be dead in the water as well. When gas hits $5.00 a gallon, I'm shutting down. Simple as that. Bob in Los Angeles

5. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have to drive to Michigan to pick up my new drift boat next week and I already hate the fact that it might be $4 a gallon by then. 1200 mile round trip in my pickup will be costly......

6. dougp

dougp TS Member

our gas up here in Canada is 1.25 per litre . approximately 4.5 litres makes a gallon so you do the math our dollar is trading even with the US greenback , wished I was only paying 3.70 per gallon.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Will it?????? Already has, and not only shooting, @$3.69 today, 25 maybe 50 miles that's my limit, my vehicle only gets low 20s mpg and that's hwy driving. Wife (of 50 years currently in remission & doing well) cancer check-ups are MANDATORY and at 850 miles 1 way (twice a year) plus all other related expenses kinda puts a crimp in the discretionary fund budget, especially @ age 71 and on SS. Not complaining just THANKING GOD she is still with me. Ross Puls

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Trucking buddy of ours sent a phone camera picture of a fill up,,,,,it showed $811.00,,,,,he said he doesn't have to pay for it, but his company will be raising their delivery fees,,,,,guess that means that EVERYTHING will be going up,,,,,it will KNOCK down the recovery that obama says is happening......

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Quote: "our gas up here in Canada is 1.25 per litre . approximately 4.5 litres makes a gallon so you do the math our dollar is trading even with the US greenback , wished I was only paying 3.70 per gallon."

I think your figures are off a little bit. Since a liter is larger than a quart, then there would be FEWER than 4 liters in a gallon. Therefore, about 3.5 liters per gallon would be about right.

Easystreet

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

$4 curtail $5......END....

GS

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nahhh I dount it. I will just have to cut way back on the things that are not real important like eating.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

3.785 liters = 1 gallon.

$1.25 X 3.785 = $4.73

13. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I wouldn't be happy about it but it probably wouldn't affect my shooting that much. I can get from my house in NY to the PSSA Homegrounds (330 miles round trip) for $45 in gas if gas was to hit $5.

The difference in gas being at $3.80 and $5 would only be about $12. I can knock $12 off the cost of the trip by hitting the dollar menu!

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Obamaflation.

15. dougp

dougp TS Member

just to clear up the litre conversion , here in Canada we have an imperial gallon ( 5 quarts) which actually is 4.54 litres to make a gallon the US gallon is 3.75 litres . So my gas today cost me 5.67 a gallon .If I filled up in the USA , at 4.73 gallon based on the US gallon I would save about 19.00 a tank . As I,m going to Florida soon that saves me a couple hundred bucks , Anyway you slice it , we all pay to much for gas .

16. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

It's just another piece of the puzzle.........

cripple the remaining working folks even more ; cause even more of them to default on their bills ; create even more dependency upon the "Gubmint" for your basic needs ; more umemployment and social welfare recipients.......

EGG-zactly what the current administration is counting upon in November.

I hear a TON of bitching about Obama here. But - I gotta' think that the majority of TS.com participants must have voted for him, and probably will again. After all.....he needs another four years to fix what Bush screwed up, right ? That will be the bell the Dems ring in the upcoming campaign. Trust me.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Car pool? HMB

18. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Fuel prices up.....ammo prices up....target prices up....could be a brutal year on our sport. I hope not...........Uncle Sam

19. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

3.78 liters per gallon,not 4.5.....................just sayin'

D.P.Reynolds

20. Fox River Sporting

Fox River Sporting TS Member

$5.00 gas would curtail/impact just about everything, directly or indirectly.

tjw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.