1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WOT-Refinishing Garage Floor

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolar12, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I am in the process of re doing my garage. Did the walls, lights, cabinet. Now I want to re do the floor. It is potmarked from winter salt. I used a leveling cement product to fill in the voids and low spots. Now I want to "grind" or sand the floor to smooth it out. I can rent a "buffer" type unit with a course sanding disk. Works ok, but slow. I saw that there is a head for the "buffer" called a hexpin floor finisher. It is a round unit with carbide tips on pegs. Looks as though it would go right through the floor. Anyone use one of these?

When that is done, I plan to use water based epoxy garage kit from Rustolium. Does it last? Tips on what to do or not to do?

Thanks, Gary

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a similar situation but my garage is already finished and is too smooth right now. The actual concrete surface was over finished and is smoother than any I have ever seen. Perfect for a basement but bad for a garage. In the spring when the frost comes out of the ground or after a rain and water drips off of the vehicles, the floor is so slippery from moisture it is downright dangerous. I think the builder failed to put any kind of a vapor barrier under it and I am afraid to coat it as I think it will lift because of the moisture problem in the spring. Any helpful hints?

Jeff

3. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

We have the epoxy on the floor of are race car shop .That is some tuff stuff it stands up to brake fluid and race fuel un real.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Menards and or Home Depot sell a epoxy floor coating for use on garage floors.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Just did my Floor last week . I used the Kit from Home-Depo and it looks very nice . I cleaned the floor will acid and wash it down very well .

It is not a one man job no way no how . You will need someone top mix epoxy and do the flakes .

ALF

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Rustolium did not hold up to fork truck traffic in my shop. It is great in the areas where we do not use fork trucks.

This may not be fair to the product. Fork trucks are hell on floors. I have seen shops hold up to them with some type of clear coating. Anyone have any ideas as to what the really good stuff is?

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I second the vote for a concrete expoxy slightly textured floor covering

8. PLUS

PLUS Member

BE SURE TO LET ANY LEVELING COMPOUND CURE WELL BEFORE YOU COAT THE FLOOR WITH ANYTHING. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING THE SOLVENT BASED TWO PART EPOXY RATHER THAN THA TWO PART WATER BASED. YOU CAN GET BOTH AT MENARDS, HOWEVER, THE COLOR SELECTION FOR THE SOLVENT BASED IS LIMITED.

9. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Back to part of the original question. Has anyone used a Hexpin floor finisher?

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

To Jeff you might try washing the floor with muriatic acid to etch it and rough up the surface some. bill

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hey Gary,

We used a floor buffer for cleaning up and prepping floors for carpet and other coverings. Many of them were concrete and needed a little smoothing. We had a plate from Pearl Abrasives that had replaceable pins. Sounds like what you are talking about. They had a few different colors, but we used the gold ones. There was a clutch in the disk. They came with or without. Get it WITH the clutch! Ours was a real heavy duty 18" unit and would torque you pretty hard if it snagged. Be careful when you first turn it on. It takes a little practice. Start out in the middle and not near a wall or anything you don't want damaged. Hold on tight and watch what you are doing. Safety goggles and a good dust mask or respirator are a must!

They make a bunch of different style plates, so exactly which one you want I can't tell you. Check with the manufacturer and see what they recommend. I think they made some other types of plates with different styles of cutters. We had a few, but I can't tell you if they were from the same manufacturer.

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Some allow you to mix a little bit of Silica sand in the epoxy to increase traction. Have not tried this yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.