1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WOT: Old Gas Station Signs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm looking for any information that you all can give me about some old gas stations signs that I have found prior to demoing the building. I found the Shell sign at 3101 S. Califonia Ave, Chicago, IL 20 years ago. I was told that the site was a Shell fuel distribution facility back in the '20's. The Havoline sign is 2 sided and have been told it sat at the top of an old oil can display. The Havoline sign is dated 3-34 so I'm assuming March 1934. Any additional information would be appreciated. Also does anyone have any idea the value of these signs? The are made of metal and coated with porcelin I think. The Shell sign is 100% the Havoline has a couple of small chips but I would still rate it 95-98%. Thanks in advance, Randy

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Randy, Porcelain coated signs are very valuable and very collectible. Your signs look like they are in very nice condition and therefore are quite valuable. Larry Evans

3. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Larry for the information. Do you know anything in particular about my signs?

4. FIB

FIB Member

No more info? I was counting on you guys???

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When my Dad ran his gas station he sold Havoline oil. We loved using the cans with the big red dot for targets for our .22s. He would put the empties back in the cardboard box and we'd grab a couple of cases and head for the dump. Better times back then, for sure.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have an office desk lamp in my attic my grandfather made from the white globe from atop an old Sinclair Pump...has the red brontosaurus dinosaur painted on it

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have an office desk lamp in my attic my grandfather made from the white globe from atop an old Sinclair Pump...has the red brontosaurus dinosaur painted on it

8. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Randy. You didn't happen to acquire the oil can display or better yet a display with GLASS oil bottles did you? There are a lot of companies reproducing these signs now as well as other subjects as the originals cost to much for most auto enthusiasts and specialty collectors. Visit an antique car show and take 1 sign with you. There are usually a lot of dealers/vendors at large shows and you will probably find some items just like the ones you have. I found a 50 gal gasoline barrel in a dump. These were used way back in the days when there might only be 1 or 2 cars in town and gas was sold at hardware and general stores. Hope this helps. Larry Evans

9. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Larry for your help! Regards, Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.