1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WOT: Blackpowder rifle hunting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FIB, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

Hi guys, I know this is way off topic but I thought some of you might use muzzle loaders for deer season. My 14 YO son is wanting to get into muzzle loading and I must admit I have been somewhat intrigued by it. I have been looking at the Traditions Persuit LX at my local Gander store and for the money it looks like a nice rifle. I like the fact that it is break action and it appears it would be relatively easy to clean. What are your experiences or recommendations for a starter BP rifle?? I would like to keep the price of the rifle < $ 300.00 TIA....Randy

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I did a fair amount of smoke pole hunting a few years ago but never with a modern black powder gun, always with primitive weapons with flintlock and percussion ignitions. I found that the inexpensive guns were full of soft metal parts that wore out quickly and barrels that were crudely made to say the least. Black powder shooting requires attention to detail in the assembly of each shot to that there is consistency from round to round. Some of the people I hunted with were discouraged at their results because they couldn't grasp that concept.

Morgan

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The best performing (sub 2" groups at 200 yds) muzzle loader that I've ever been around is the T/C Omega. I bought one and shot 2 1/2" group with it after breaking in the barrel. My father was so impressed that he wanted to shoot it. He strung 4 shots in just over 1 1/2"(The old man is a better shot than I) This was done with 150 gr.of Pyrodex and a 240 gr Hornaday sabot. The scope isn't a fancy one, just a 3-9X40 Bushnell Banner. My dad benched his Knight and I bought him one just like mine.

On a side note,i f I were to re-scope the gun. I would get one of the Nikon's that is made specifically for the Omega.

ec90t

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I also have an Omega - the laminated thumbhole stock model. Using 150 grains of Pyrodex and a Hornady 250-grain sabot bullet, it prints three-shot 100-yard groups around an inch or inch-and-a-half, which I accept. If I cleaned the barrel between shots, I know it would do even better.

I have Leupold 3x-9x scope on it the has the same BDC reticle as the Nikon Omega. It is a limited-production item for Leupold as they currently only make them to order for a large wholesale distributor. The rifle is unbeatable, in my opinion. If you Google "muzzleloading rifles", you'll find a comparison test of those rifles and the Omega is rated very high.

Ed

5. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Spend the extra money and buy the TC Encore. So many advantages with this gun. Also put whatever barrel you want on down the road and always go with a nikon scope.
    Chris Teeters

6. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

I use the CVA Optima Pro. I just got back from shooting a black bear with mine last Thursday. I use 100 grains of pyrodex powder and power belt bullets with iron sights. I shot a couple mule deer in CO with this rifle, the last one was at 147 yards also with iron sights. My only regret is that I should have used a heavier bullet for the black bear. The best advice I can give for someone new muzzleloaders is to keep it clean.

7. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

I use a 58 cal. Flintlock, fullstock Hawken - patched round ball with FFg black powder. Built it myself and it will do all I want-------but if I were doing it again I would go with a cap lock - - the flinter is OK but it takes a lot of attention to make it go bang everytime.
    But - I have absolutly nothing against the stainless steel, synthetic stocked, scoped sighted guns using synthetic powder behind plastic saboted copper jacketed bullets and ignited with a 209 primer......there are not enough of us to fight among ourselves - so to each their own as long as we stick together as shooters.......

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When the weather is good (meaning not raining) I use blackpowder for hunting. Only I shoot blackpowder cartridges, not muzzleloaders.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i second the T/C Encore 1 gun many barrels and with the new ejector is easy to clean rick

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Brian,

You still shootin' that mankiller of yours?

ec90t

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

The T/C Encore is a great rifle for a kid. You can also get another barrel for other hunts. The primer is in closed which is a big plus. As for ammo and powder, go with the sabots and the pellets for powder. The sabots will shoot better then any other bullet and the pellets will keep your son from over loading the gun. I just use two pellets and it works great for my usage. Have fun and be safe.

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Pappa Smurf,

Did you build that full stock from a kit or was it a scratch build? I'd like to build one, but don't have the time for a scratch build project at this time.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.