1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Trapshooting Book...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pocatello, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

You've got that right!

A couple of years ago I delivered my copy to Brian in Oregon, with the stipulation that he could pay me whatever he thought it was worth to him. I have not heard from him since, so I guess I could infer from that "Not Much!"

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pure drivel in book form.

Bob Schultz

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I agree it's just awful. I've never much noticed the typos and grammatical errors that have offended so many; it's the intellectual content and quality of the discussions which make me want to throw the books across the room.

Neil

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I have seen only one book on trap shooting that I could get thru the first chapter of with out putting the book back on the shelf and leaving the store to PUKE!

I bought the one, Score Better at Trap, by Fred Missildine.

I keep looking to see if any other writers can be as good, so far all others I have seen fall in to the less then one chapter and hurry away to puke.

Al

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The book by Russel is not one I would recommend for either reading enjoyment or knowledge.

Pat Ireland

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trapshooting Secrets is a wonderful book. Especially the part on shooting trap using "x-ray vision". It is truly sad that most trapshooters do not realize what a master piece this book truly is. HMB

7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I'm with you HMB, I think Russell's books are pretty good. I just got them and only skimmed thru so far. The reason I got them was reading his info off his web site, he goes into much deeper explanations about different techniques.
    Sure, maybe his diagrams and some of the writing is a little weak-but I tell you what I've seen a lot less help in a lot of books and videos out there.
    I remember one writer saying that when in a shootoff you may want to miss a few right away just to shake the other shooter up...real good advice!
    And to me, when a video shows you 80% of nothing but a lot of camera-on-the gun shots-it does nothing but for the beginner, and maybe not a lot for them either. For the most part, each shooter's swing speed may vary, so what looks good on a camera shot over the barrel may not mean a "hoot" to Joe Blow tryin to learn something.
    Russell goes into some stuff that alot of shooters have never even considered.So, I take my hat off to Russell. Puablo

8. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Whooosh!

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

x2
    Unless.........................?

10. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Had the pages been blank, Russell's book would have been more interesting and informative. My opinion, of course.

Blue

11. m70win

m70win Member

The title says it all. If he told all the secrets they wouldn't be secrets any more. Would they?

Tim

12. biff

biff Active Member

I doubt whether Pat, Neil, or Bob has read Russel's books. I highly recommend that all three of them take the time to actually sit down and read both books through from cover to cover and then come back on TS.Com and share all this information. I think each will be able to give a different slant to those storehouses of information. I hope others on here will agree with me as I want to see "how they really feel". Throw a book across the room? Dreadful! Biff

13. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Biff,

Not only did I read them, I BOUGHT both of them (I could not believe that a person could write two books equally bad!). I tried using them for liners in the bird cage but the canary died of boredom. The poop from the bird was better information that in the book!

Bob

14. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

OH, WELL...

15. Neil Winston

16. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

A good new thread topic would be to ask how many trapshooters use a stance like this.

17. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

A better new thread topic would be to ask how many contributors to this forum have written their own book on the subject...better or otherwise!

Morgan

18. Neil Winston

gqtguy, there must be a lot of them at least when they start shooting, but then they begin to drift away, leading them into "severe inconsistency." As the text explains:

"Tip #1 Return to the traditional trapshooting stance. Both feet pointed at a 90 degree right angle to the traphouse. I bet your feet are no longer in this tried and true position."

Well, he wins that bet almost every time, I'm sure.

Neil

19. Neil Winston

C. Morgan, I've never made Twinkies either, but I know how they taste.

Neil

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Who would want to pick a coach or read advise from someone that can't shoot for sh*%t!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.