1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst shooting day ever!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Today the sun was low and bright, casting a mess of shadows and bright orange/yellow Hughes all over the turning leaves still on the trees, watching everyone miss in disbelief. The hustle of lense changes also the change off of glasses from shooter to shooter. Man was it tough. Are best shooters where struggling to stay in the 20s. most by chance. Today is the worst I have seen it. I tried 4 different shades and non worked for me. Not one shooter had any dark grey or green, about the only color that may have worked. It was absolutely laughable!

2. monroesc

monroesc Member

Guess you needed to be in NE Ohio--We had a calcutta shoot with the top score being a 98 for a 100 handicap. A little bit chilly, but was not bad weather-wise.

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Stick around. There will be a worse day - sooner or later.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

god I hope not, might as well looked into the sun. Between the low angle of sun light hitting the browns reds and golds of the trees leaf in the back ground it was crazy. Then with the shadows the clays seemed to pulse as if they where going fast then slow,,,,blinking . arrgghhh. Nice day though crisp air clear skys. Winter is slowly coming....Massachusetts

5. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I learned a saying here on TS.com. You have not shot your worst score yet. Hang in there.

6. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The weather was good the White Flyers looked like dinner plates, my 95 didn't have a chance what with 99's shooting off for 1 and 2,

98's shooting off for 3 to 6, and 97's having at also, but a great day was had by all!

My 95 wasn't the best but it seemed to cure some ill's, a great week ended, time to get back to the wage ciruit, until next time.......

Al

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It wasn't bad. It was great for the conditions. Sounds like a beautiful fall day. A plus for living in the north, give it few weeks and the beauty will be gone.

Don

8. LCC

LCC TS Member

You have not lived long enough to shoot your worst score, misspell more words (Hughes = hues) or butcher the English language to your capability yet.

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Guess you've never shot at Western Wayne County Conservation Club where the fields face East.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Big Az Al, for no more than you've shot lately, you did great guy with several good scores for the week!

"The weather was good the White Flyers looked like dinner plates,"

Glad to hear your's looked like that! Mine all week looked like toy sized orange inverted tea cup saucers or psychedelic aspirins doin about 75 mph! I know,, cause I had my head up for a better look attum! :) Hap

11. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Mike, that goes "double" for registered doubles at 9:00AM.

Best,
    Dennis

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Don't know where you are shooting at, but they obviously don't know a damn thing about how to lay out a trap range! Who built that sucker?

13. pendennis

Hipshot, the club was laid out many years ago to optimize the usage for the rifle/pistol ranges. They are all parallel, including the 5-stand range. The oddity is that the club grounds are split between two counties, Wayne and Washtenaw. Washtenaw would not approve firearms use on the land, or liquor consumption. The only thing on the Washtenaw County side are the archery, airgun, and blackpowder rendezvous areas. The clubhouse and all the firearms ranges/fields are in Wayne County. Private land is on both sides of the ranges, so we can't turn things 90 degrees and point them north. We're also less than .5 miles from major crossroads to the north and south. Not to be trite, but that's the lay of the land. As it is, our trap ranges are buffered by a growth of trees, which traps spent shot.

Best,
    Dennis

14. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

That could also apply to a club here in California. If you are on the line before 10:00 a.m. you absolutely cannot see the targets. They are there, but you can't see them due to the sun. After 10 - no problem. Great club though.

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Sherree....."Valley of the...........???? Been there, done that, got that shirt....Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Dan, no actually Livermore, I forgot about "Valley of the..."! Ok, I stand corrected - there are 2 clubs that you can't shoot at before 10:00 a.m.!!!

Dan, how did the Toys for Tots shoot go this weekend?

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

It went very well. The weather treated us good. Not a huge turnout, but, the kids will definately have something under their trees again this year....Dan

18. pendennis

Flincher100, yes. Western Wayne County Conservation Association. The early morning shooting can be very difficult. Even shooting skeet is difficult, since the sun's glare almost obliterates the birds. However, these difficulties are more than offset by the fact that we have great members, and a warm, friendly atmosphere. Great folks.

Best,
    Dennis

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A while back I ate three Krispy Kreme donuts and went to the 25 yard line. As a diabetic, I KNOW better. I shot a sizzling SEVENTY-EIGHT! LOL

When I was in physical jeopardy from this insidious disease, I shot 16 yard scores in the 60's, with five misses from a station happening several times. The scorer would say "ZIP" in a low voice.

You have not had your worst day YET.

20. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Dennis....That really sounds like an unfortunate bunch of circumstances that can only be lived with I guess as best you can. Its already been mentioned above, but the only thing that can be done is to shoot at those times of the day when the sun will less affect the shooters.Sorry your club has to deal with something like that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.