1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Dealer Service Ever

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I bought this Baikal 20 ga single shot a couple years ago from Dave's Guns in Spokane Wa.(Nine Mile Falls)for the kids at our club to shoot.I shortened it and put a Clyde Slyde type recoil reducer on it for the smaller kids.Problem was occasionally the gun would discharge when you closed it,I took it back to the dealer who sent it off to be fixed under warranty.After 6 or 7 months I kinda gave up on getting it back but after about 14 months the dealer called and said they sent it back,I made a couple attempts to pick it up but either know one knew anything about it or they were closed and I kinda forgot about it.Last week one of the kids needed something to shoot and got me to thinking about it so I drove up today to inquire about it much to my surprise it was on the shelf for sale,I told the guy at the counter the story and that it was my gun and he got the owner who told me pretty much it had been there for so long I guess he decided to sell it.He reluctantly gave it back with no box or choke tubes but said it had been so long he would have to transfer it back to me and charged me $40,when I got it home we found that it had not even been repaired and could still discharge when you close it if the cocking lever was not fully depressed, Unbelievable .Jerry

2. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Jerry you have a PM. Guys lets see if we can help these kids get a gun to shoot. I will donate a Slick Slide recoil system if we can get a gun to put it on.
    Carey

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bad service, but...next time maybe buy a brand of gun you won't "kinda forget about?"

20 ga. 1100s are nice for kids.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You may want to contact the ATF on that one, esp since he charged you to transfer your own gun back to you.

5. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

WOW !! That is what I call BAD SERVICE !! Im just glad it wasn't me and my temper in that gun shop.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A gunsmith can file and reset the sears to eliminate the close firing issue.

7. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

That say's it all about the FFL dealer. thanks Ronnie

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Good service is becoming harder and harder to find, regardless of the product. I attribute that to many things but one of the main ones is the shortage of American craftsmen we have today. The kids coming out of Vo-Tech school have a choice - spend $10,000 or more on tools and take up a trade or drive a truck or operate a computer and make a payment on a nicer car instead of tools. I know in the auto repair industry, you have had to grow your own technicians for 15 years or so. Hiring "experienced" ones usually brings you little more than a lot of bad habits or their former service manager and employer would have done whatever it took to retain them.

Last fall, I had an extractor failure while firing a new Remington Model 700 rifle for the first time. The nearest Remington warranty repair station is a gun shop near Reading, Pennsylvania owned by a Michael Fix. Mr. Fix (yes, that's his real name), who desperately needs a personality transplant, refused to tell me how long he would need my rifle for that 10-minute repair and would only tell me, "I'll call you when it's ready."

Two months later, I was arranging the purchase of an 870 Super Slug through my Remington media contact and she asked if there was anything else she could do for me. I told her about my rifle and explained that if I was a young man who had just purchased his first rifle with plans to use it in the upcoming hunting season and experienced that kind of cold, slow service from a factory authorized repair center, my future firearm purchases probably would not be Remingtons. She agreed and said she would have the supervisor of repair centers speak with Mr. Fix. Two days later, he called and was REALLY frosty with me when I picked up the rifle.

Mr. Fix obviously is well aware of the fact that people with his skills are a dying breed and that we gun owners don't have as many outlets for good service that we once did.

Ed

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I bet the guy was really overworked???????????????? Same thing happened to me years ago with a new 870 Trap. Problems (action bars) the first time out. Took the ride to Reading with it (anxious to shoot my new gun), had to wait an unreasonable time also. Should of just sent it back to the factory. Fix has issues but there are many others just like him. Most of these fly by night gunsmiths don't approach their work like it's a job. Heard alot of horror stories from guys who bought lower end O/U's. Be careful and somethings you can fix yourself.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ed, I've often marveled how "Gun Tests" always find winners, while my experience has been that some guns are pretty good, some less good, and some basically awful.

What am I to make of your your text: "I was arranging the purchase of an 870 Super Slug through my Remington media contact?" Wouldn't a gun tester be at least a little disinclined to bite the hand that is feeding him? And what does this do the validity of gun "tests?"

I've already decoded, of course - the days of critically-defensible testing as exemplified by Lou Byk and Larry Sterrett are long gone - but I'm interested in your point of view, being on the inside as you are..

Neil

11. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Worst problem here is that the gun is crap and always will be. You might get it to work for a while, but it WILL NEVER BE SAFE. As a past dealer, you make $20 on the sale and spend $40 trying to get it to work. Guns for kids is not the place to economize. Buy that 1100 and enjoy shooting.

12. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I personally believe for trap guns, the gunsmith should specialize in trap guns (maybe skeet too) and be a shooter. This way they understand our sport.

However, the url above is a link to the PA Gunsmiting school and maybe that would help folks locate some smiths educated in and degreed in the trade for all types of weapons. A few graduates are listed.

Nothing beats a good reference though, and ts.com is a good source to find good referrals.

js

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Lobo, that was my point all along. Baikal is a crap gun. Even if you find a gunsmith with the personality of Andy Griffith, Will Rogers, and Mother Teresa all rolled into one, I still think that once the purchasing decision was made, it's all downhill from there.

I'm frankly surprised somebody put that much money into one, and is still determined to place it in the hands of a child after the bad experiences it's produced so far.

If you're hell-bent and dead-set on using this gun, I'm sure there are people out there who will take your money and try to appease you. But the "best" gunsmith is probably one who will tell you straight up, you bought a piece of crap - better cut your losses.

You made an f'ed up purchase decision, followed it up with expensive aftermarket alterations, and yet are significantly farther behind than you would have been if you bought an H&R Topper to begin with. Your dedication to the youth is admirable, but I don't think there's any satisfaction in your future, headed down this path.

We all agree - the "dealer" is a lout. But saying it isn't going to solve anything for you.

14. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Wow I'm not sure how this ended up with talking about me buying a crap gun for the kids to shoot(Next time I'll chop down a perazzi) so in my defense when I bought it they were brand new on the market and the reason I bought it over an H&R was it was hammerless it's ackward for the little shooters to pull the hammer back and keep it pointed in a safe direction,obviously I know now the gun is Crap.Jerry

15. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Maybe a Remington .410 or 28 gage 1100 would be good for duffers. Both guns will smoke targets and the recoil is virtually nil on the .410. If the small gage 1100 is too big for them, maybe they should not be on the field. A skeet field, low-7 is good for teaching kids. The targets are close, they can 'see' them and even a bad move or all sorts of weirdness can occur and they still hit the targets. We use it for the Boy Scouts merit badge - works great and everyone breaks targets. It's only the adult shooters that miss on Lo-7:^)

16. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I can't figure out what kind of thought process leads people to buy these guns. They are junk. Everyone who has ever seen one knows it, you don't even have to fire it to know that. A beat-up old 870 Express would be a helluva lot better gun, and investment.

Knowing that, the dealer probably thought he could get away with this.

EE

17. releasebob

releasebob Member

Ok I gotta chime in here because I know the poster and and anybody who would chastise him for something he does for junior shooters needs an education,if you single handedly got the school to install a trap shooting program and provide them with equipment,shells and anything else they need free of charge,provide shells,guns and pay the dues for junior shooters who can't afford them,give guns and other merchandise for the juniors to raffle off to make money for their program then feel free chastise him for being cheap,the dealer in question may not be the biggest a** on this thread.BOB

18. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

releasebob -nobody is 'chastising' anyone, but that gun is junk. The owner of the gun should contact the manufacturer and get the problem resolved. It is flat-out unsafe. There might be a manufacturing or assembly flaw that could result in getting a new gun or this one fixed. In the meantime, there are other cheap guns out there that are less of a 'reliability' or 'safety' concern. sounds like the firing pin is either broken, bent or otherwise binding up and denting the primer upon closing it - or maybe the trigger mechanism is letting off when the gun is closed. Either way, it's an accident waiting to happen. Anecdote: I taught a buddies 12 year old how to shoot skeet with a cheap 20 gage H&R breakopen singleshot and Cabelas chamber .410 inserts. He would shoot under my instruction while his dad observed and swapped out shells in those chamber tube doodads. That gun NEVER malfunctioned - but occasionally when dad shot it, the .410 pattern was so wacky that his targets flew right thru it on lo-7:^)

19. releasebob

releasebob Member

Marlon,Maybe you should read the first post sending it back to get it fixed is what the thread is all about,not how cheap the gun is.BOB

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Neil, you obviously stereotype me as a typical gun writer - in so many ways, that's something I'm not.

First of all, I have never pretended to be an expert on anything. I'm just an "average" shooter who has found some things that worked FOR ME and enjoyed some success along the way. Those experiences are what the articles I write on shooting are based upon. I don't try to tell readers what WILL work for them.

Next, I don't do gun "tests." I prefer to call them "reviews" because I don't consider a few days afield with a gun sufficient to adequately test it. Form some good ideas about it, yes. Test it, no.

I have never reviewed a gun about which I failed to state my dislikes. Mossberg sent me one of their L.C. Smith O/Us to review a few years ago. The triggers sucked - 15-pound let-offs as an average with a four-pound variance. And that's exactly the verbage I used in the article - "the triggers sucked." In fairness to the gun, I did have a gunsmith look at the lockwork and he said there was plenty of sear material there to permit making them very good triggers. I mentioned that as well but out of the box, an attorney was smiling somewhere and I said exactly that, too. Also, the finish on the buttstock was lifting; I photographed that and mentioned it as well.

Read any review I've done and you'll see negatives. The SKB 85TSS unsingle combo I reviewed belonged to a friend and I came down on it for poorly-made choke tubes, some resulting weird patterns and off-center adjustable comb hardware. In fact, the L.C. Smith is the only gun I've reviewed that was loaned to me for the purpose. Every other gun was either bought by myself or a friend, so I have no obligation to a gun maker. I'm sort of the Consumer Reports of gun reviews without their Japanese partiality.

I elected to buy this 870 Super Slug in lieu of borrowing it because I wanted one, so why fool around with the paperwork to borrow it and worry about getting it back promptly? My price is the same either way. And no, I do not buy all of my guns this way - I buy the majority of them from local or Internet dealers or private parties. If I'm going to return the favor of a gun maker's discount to me with some press, I feel that's fair. But I assume no liability for that press including nothing but kind words.

I have never hunted deer with a shotgun, so slug hunting will be a new venture for me. There are other hunters like me in the Shotgun Sports Magazine readership, so I am writing the article from the perspective of a newbe and explain exactly why I chose the gun and scope and other equipment that I did.

Will I find anything wrong with it? I haven't even fired a shot with it yet but I can already tell that the trigger will need massaged a little. It's a typical 870 shotgun trigger; it isn't ugly like those in that L.C. Smith but this is a shotgun that will be shot like a rifle, so the trigger should be like a rifle's.

I just tell people what I thought of a gun in consideration of its cost, how it broke targets or printed groups for me and/or my son and where service for it is available, for better or worse. After all, aren't those the qualities of a gun that matter most?

If you want boring charts, graphs and numeral nauseum, I'm not your guy.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.