1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Worn chambers from steel head hulls.....??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cbxchris, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Some time back I recall a thread where the topic was chambers worn by the use of steel headed hulls. Is this in fact a true fact? I seem to recall chambers can be repaired with the use of a sleeve inserted in the chamber area. I assume this is true also? Any particular gun affected more by this than others and is there a fired round count where this problem arises if it does in fact happen. Just trying to clear up nagging questions a few have. Thanks Chris

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've never had a chamber worn from using steel head hulls. I've seen breech faces worn a bit from steel primers, but never had trouble with a chamber being worn. The only time they seem to be troublesome is when the chamber is too tight, too rough, or the steel head has not been sized (reduced) enough when reloading them. I had two inexpensive shotguns that needed to have the chambers polished for the case heads. They were problematic with both steel and brass headed hulls. A quick polishing of that part of the chamber and the problem went away. I've shot many thousands of steel headed hulls and never had a problem with wear. I've never personally seen a gun worn by steel headed hulls either, nor have I heard of any at the local clubs I go to. I've seen and heard of trouble ejecting them, but never an issue with wear. They can also be troublesome if they are not resized properly when reloading them. I size mine to .804" - .805". I use a Mec with an adjustable collet and that was the size Mec had specified to adjust it to.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have shot a boatload of hulls with steel case heads. No issue. I will continue to do so.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

No wear; no functional problems. The steel bases are seriously soft stuff.

MK

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I bought a used unsingle barrel long ago for my K80. I don't know if steel case heads were the cause, but the chamber was worn oversize. Eventually, I had Briley sleeve the chamber. They use a stainless insert and charge $275. 2-3 week turnaround, beautiful work.

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Far more chambers have been RUINED by well intentioned but inept owners "just polishing","cleaning up" Etc. the chamber than by all the steel based hulls fired since the ammo companies started using them.

--- Chip King ---

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I try to use brass hulls only---You can buy them cheap--.03 to .04 cents---
    I respect my guns too much to put any steel hulls in them---JMO---MYSTIC---

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I like to think my opinion is the same as MYSTIC. My target guns are only Brownings and Berettas but I opt to use brass hulls. I feel they are easier to reload and they keep better size. I've purposly didn't resize shells only to find they chamber perfectly in my BT-99 and Citori Trap. This was just an experiment. I do resize my shell whether they need it or not.

I have shot shell that were steel base, I thought they were brass. I wasn't mislead just I assumed the were brass only to find out they were a brass wash.

I've only seen shells stick in low grade Remingtons guns using cheap promotional shells. Easy fix with steel wool and Crocus Cloth.

9. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

I asked a good gunsmith to open the chamber on my 90T so I could shoot steel based hulls (it wouldn't extract new hulls). He stated that he could only open it up to SAAMI specs and no further. He also told me he had seen hi-grade guns with the chamber oversized from shooting steel. I don't shoot steel hulls. HarryC

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

There is a reason shotgun case heads are made of brass and brass is used for the cases of centerfire and rimfire ammo. Brass has the best combination of softness, elasticity, and strength for the job. The only reason some ammo uses steel is because it is cheaper and for military use when brass was scarce, but many military guns are built to use it and who cares if they wear out.

Steel has to cause more wear, common sense tells you that, it may or may not be enough to make a measurable difference in the life of your gun. I try to treat my guns the best I can and spending an extra couple of bucks for brass cased ammo is one way of doing that.

11. missed some

missed some TS Member

so you guys are saying steel based hulls are harder than my chamber? I gotta call b.s. Been shooting 45 years and shot everything under the sun, and haven't seen a chamber worn out from hulls. Hope you catch your limit. mark crist

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Briley sleeves quite a few barrels. I've seen a few K-80 barrels with 1/2" oversized rings at the chamber. I don't believe this problem occured as often before the advent of steel headed shells. I may contact Krieghoff soon and get their take on this problem. I'm sure Briley has a pretty good idea what creates this situation. Why speculate-ask the people who know!!

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I shoot Pguns and have never had a steel based shell stick in the chamber. I shoot both steel and brass based hulls interchangeably. My Ljutic, 90T and Kgun buddies have had problems with the steel based hulls sticking.

I'm in no way saying anything bad about any brand of shotgun. I just wondered why the difference.

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

I always wondered about that myself. I know that in metallic cartridge a MATCH chamber is better because it insures that the cartridge is in perfect alignment and sometimes perfect contact with the rifleing at the moment of firing for max accuracy. BUT a shot gun shoves a bunch of pellets resting on a piece of crushed plastic through a folded gate down a smooth tube (usually)SO there is no reason for a shotgun to have a tight (less than SAAMI) chamber no matter what you paid for it.

--- Chip King ---

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've also seen where the cheap Universal Winchester have stuck for guys. They switch over to an AA or STS shell. Sticking problem solved. If the damn shell didn't stick going into the chamber it shouldn't stick on the way out.

It just a matter of the memory difference of the two dis-similar metals. It's obvious the steel stay expanded. This condition is common in hand guns. Some of the cheap Wolf and Chink ammos doesn't extract/feed for crap with my Ruger 380, my Beretta 92 9mm and Colt 45 will eat anything.

16. missed some

missed some TS Member

but sticking and wearing out a chamber are different,you will never convince me that a shell base is harder than the steel in my barrel. and if it is wearing it out, eventually after 3 or 4 million sticks, wont the barrel be worn enough that it won't stick......... haha, once again, hope you catch your limit

17. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Just to ad to the debate here, my company makes powdered metal parts, which requires high pressure pressing (40 TSI), and LOTs of wear (like millions of parts). We have found 80/20 brass to be more abrasive the steel. We have actually worn out carbide dies with brass (2.5 to 3 million parts). In contrast, steel or plain iron in carbide is good for 5-7.5 million parts.

Why this is the case I do not know.

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A simple question - what would casue the "wear"? On any break action gun the un-fired shell is placed in the chamber and the action is closed. There is no abrasion or any other motion of the shell against the chamber to cause wear and the simple action of pressure by a steel-headed shell against the chamber walls could not cause any more wear than that of a bress-headed shell.

I think many shooters have an over-active imagination, need something to worry about, or have too much time on their hands.

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

birdogs has the answer. The only possible point of wear is when the head of the shell slides along the breach face and that is not going to be any worse than a brass headed shell because the steel head is usually cadmium plated.

Jim Skeel

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is cadmium harder than steel? HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.