1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WorldWide Fingerprint database available to NSA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Sep 11, 2013.

1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Now that Apple has started a fingerprint recognition system on their newest devices, how long do you think it will be before NSA hacks into this database and your finger prints now become available to the NSA and whoever else NSA may provide them to?

And just think, everyone gives the info to the NSA for free! It will even include your name, address, credit card info, App store purchase info. Doesn't that sound wonderful

You can read about it here.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57602236/apple-announces-new-iphone-5s-iphone-5c-ios-7-release-date/

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Yea but it has been proven that with adequate resources and knowledge, any device capable of being contacted can be manipulated. In my just retired from job, I could easily contact and control any laptop in our company as long as it was connected to the internet and I had one prior contact with it. As soon as you connect to the internet you have just established a way for someone to plant the seed to allow additional contact and control. Do you think NSA has any fewer resources than my previous non-governmental, employer? Do you really trust NSA to not try to peek in???

I have always been very much pro-Apple but this time I think they may have gone a bit to far.

3. tachyon

tachyon Member

Pyrdek writes: "Now that Apple has started a fingerprint recognition system on their newest devices, how long do you think it will be before NSA hacks into this database and your finger prints now become available to the NSA and whoever else NSA may provide them to?"

1. There is no data base. The print is kept locally.

2. Finger prints??? The app uses a partial thumbprint.

3. You don't have to use it, it is optional.

4. Ever in the military, they have a complete set of fingerprints, ever get security clearance, they have your fingerprints, doctor? they have your finger prints. Pharmacist, Nurse, Stock Broker, Laywer, judge, Concealed Carry Permit? Teacher in many states? It is estimated that the current finger print data base has about 70 million entries. The FBI’s Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS) claims to have prints for more than 70 million subjects in its criminal master file and more than 34 million “civil prints.” This data includes hair color, age, ethnicity etc.

5. Thumb prints: Have a drivers license in Texas? California? Georgia? Colorado? they all have your thumb print already.

6. The scanner is not an optical scanner. It is a capacitance scanner. The biometrics are stored and then sent through a cryptographic hash algorithm then stored. The NSA has better things to do than to hack in to peoples phones, break a hash and download a partial thumbprint. They would also need a lot of subscriber information to make it plausibly useful.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

1. No data base? What do you think is used to keep all the App store data (apple ID name and PW, credit card info, shipping address) Once you have been identified your database info is there.

2. Last I knew, a thumb is considered one of the five fingers. Seven points would be adequate to ID a print from any finger, including the thumb.

3. Yes. and many will accept the option. Then it becomes thier problem OIF THEY KNOW what is taking place.

4. Yes, there are a lot of fingerprint databases but how many of them can pin down where you are instantly (within a few yards or feet even)in a few thousandths of a second if you have GPS enabled?

5. Again, they do not allow your location to be determined unless you are already stopped by someone who has both you and your license.

6. They have already been caught getting into people's telephone conversations, which incidentally are already digitally encrypted. They have also been found to be able to break virtually all the encryption codes used in internet communications. Thus encoding is no longer a barrier to decrypting the data. Does it matter if your print is detected optically or capacitively? The data still identified you. Integrate that datum with the colossal amount of data they already have and the noose just gets tighter.

5. tachyon

tachyon Member

1. The partial thumb print is stored locally. It is encrypted and is not a part of the App store data base, provider database or any data base. Someone would have to link the thumb print data with the subscriber data base to make it useful.

4. I don't need your thumb print to locate you if you have GPS enabled (assisted GPS is the more correct moniker as it also uses information other than satellite GPS). With your cell phone subscriber data or App store data someone with access to the network can locate you. No thumb print required. This is true of any smart phone. Why go to all the trouble of hacking your thumb print if I already have your subscriber data.

Bottom line is that most people don't care. They will accept the convenience and don't care about any potential privacy issue. With the facial recognition technology, security cameras everywhere, cell phone monitoring capability and massive data mining, an organization like the NSA can know just about anything they want. It is our responsibility to educate congress and work with organizations like the GNU foundation to pass and _enforce_ laws ensuring our privacy.

6. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

The NSA is already hacking people's phones. In the WSJ today, they have looked into 18,000 phone calls since 2006. The NSA has plenty to do by checking into our phone calls. They are just a bunch of loose cannons, who have streched the search warrant laws to their own gain, to spy on us. They haven't realized that we pay their salaries. I can't believe that those 18,000 phone calls were terrorist related. They have strange fetish, and I hope they read this.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

1. You don't think that they already have the Apple data base? even before this latest addition? AND you don't think that they can access your phone whenever it is turned on and in range of a cell tower or wi-fi access point? How do you think your phone can connect to let you know you have a call? That contact starts from the providers system. You don't think that NSA can break encryption? All of those have already been admitted to.

4. If you have GPS you can find the phone but not tell who may be carrying it. When you have the phone and the print, you now know where the phone is AND whose thumb is on it right now.

Here is a link that lets you know one, already commercial program, that lets you bug a cell phone. I kind of suspect that NSA just might have a lot more sophisticated abilities.

Bug a Phone