1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

World War 1 artillary shell

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rem25, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem25

Rem25 TS Member

I am trying to find information on a WW1 shell that a relative of mine has.It has 37-85 marked on the base along with PD.Ps 214.9.16. After that it has what appears to be a picture of an exploding bomb.The casing itself is copper colored and has the word "Alsace" inscribed in it with a date of 1919. On the other side of the casing it has what appears to be a flower itched into it. If anybody can shed light on this, I would appreciate it.I have been checking various websites but can not quite nail it down. Thanks

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I think the Springfield arsenal used the icon of a bomb with fins on it.

3. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

It sounds like the shell case you have is for a Canon d'Infanterie de 37 modèle 1916 TRP, a French 37mm cannon used in WWI and WWII by French and American Forces. Alsace is a small town in France. May have been a manufacturing plant that made the shell.

Chad

4. Rem25

Rem25 TS Member

Thanks to you who replied about this. This will give us alot more insight than what we started with. Thanks again & have a Happy New Year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.