1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

World of Outlaws Racing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I'm at Speedweek and last night went to my first ever World of Outlaw Sprint Racing at Volusia Raceway. For those of you who like to watch this on TV, in person is totslly different. I wore my trap ear plugs (Thanks Jerry Bryant) and clear lens shooting glasses because of the flying mud spray! I'm hooked!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I live just a few minutes from historic Williams Grove Speedway near Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. I also work there as the sprint car technical inspector. The "Inlaws," as we call them, race there six times each year and some of the cars you saw or will see in Florida are ones that race at the Grove every week. There's nothing like a 1,300-pound (with driver) car powered by a methanol-burning 900 horsepower 410 cubic-inch V8. Watch enough of them and NAPCAR will seem even more boring than it actually is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy yourself and if you're ever in southcentral Pennsylvania over a weekend, let me know. I'll give you an up-close-and-personal look at those cars and teams.

Ed

3. burtona

burtona Member

The best show in racing at the track. Not nearly as interesting on TV. But still good!

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Neat machines!! one of my former employers raced one exactly like the number 5 in the photo.

Log all week and he would race all weekend!!

Seen that machine of his in pristine shape and NOT so pristine!!! Logging was a whole lot safer at times!!!!!

5. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Welcome to the addiction! Best show in racing. Dirt rules. What's nascar?

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Their great ain't they? If you ever get a chance go to the Knoxville Nationals don't pass it up. The greatest show on earth in spite of what P T Barnum claims.

7. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Went to watch Tony Stewart race his sprint car at Brewerton Speedway, just north of Syracuse, NY last summer. They sold so many tickets there were no seats any where to be found. They opened up the infield for spectators. I got to watch the nights racing from the start finish line in the infield. Pretty cool stuff. Man those cars are fast......holy cow.

8. steele

steele TS Member

Several years ago, the Bristol track was covered with clay & the Outlaw late Models & Sprints were featured. You want to talk about fast!!!. They actually ran "No Lift" laps. ( never lifted off the throttle ). They were 2 seconds faster than a Nascar Cup car. A very good freind of mine, Chub Frank, ran in the original "Dirty Dozen" late model events. He said you stay in the gas until you see God, then lift a bit. Yes indeed, these guy got "big" stones. Butch from Pgh

9. AveragEd

Smoke comes to play at the Grove several times each year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ed

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

They will be here at Hanford in April, and in Tulare in mid March. Glad to see them back at Kings Speedway. Can't wait!

11. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Been a fan for years. Real racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I watched from the stands at the Silver Dollar Fairgrounds high banked clay oval in Chico Ca until I left at 25. I can still remember the sprint cars full throttle, never lifting, the front wheels cranked hard to the right for the left hand turns, the rear end way out to the right of the front end so that a hard right steer took them left around the turns without lifting. It was something to see and hear.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It only takes once and you're hooked. I have a real problem driving as I should after watching the races. LOL Jackie B.

14. gcessna

gcessna Member

The greatest or one of, tracks for World of outlaws is Eldora speedway in Ohio. They ran the AMA grand national event there two years in a row. The Bikes were running 105 mph. average laps on the half mile. the Outlaws run somwhere around 140 avg. and 12 sec. laps. Tony Stewart owns this track.

gary Cessna

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Eldora also has some of th best late model races also.

16. AveragEd

The team I used to be with won the King's Royal and the Knoxville Nationals in 1985 with Doug Wolfgang behind the wheel. That year, we started 114 A-mains and won 56 of them to finish the season ranked number one in the country.

Here's our 1989 car at Eldora with "Mouse," Kenny Jacobs, driving. Earl kept the track a lot wetter than Tony does.

[​IMG]

Our shop sign from back in the 1970s, when Kenny Weld drove for us.

[​IMG]

Car owner Bob Weikert and driver Kenny Weld being interviewed by Williams Grove's late promotor, Jack Gunn, after winning the 1974 Williams Grove National Open.

[​IMG]

Weikert congratulating another of his hot shoes from the '70s, Paul Pitzer. Back then, Weikert fielded cars for Weld and Pitzer.

[​IMG]

Those were the days!

Ed

17. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

I went to see the outlaws and all stars combined race,last weekend in Ocala,Fl. Shotts won the feature,imagine that. Smoke was there and held fast time for a while. We didn't get back to silver Dollar untill almost 3 AM,a good night of sprinters on dirt. I'm from east,central Indiana and went to Eldora a couple times a summer.
    My big brother and I went to Knoxville in 1962. What a trip. He was 17 & I was 16. We drove his 55 chevy and took all our hay baleing money, to live on. We bought a bunch of watermellons in Knoxville and ate nothing else for more than one whole week. My strongest memory is of an absolutely beautiful,black,full size classic sprint car from somewhere in California. It didn't go through the turns very good,but would always catch up at the end of the chute. I thought it was the most beautiful sprint car I ever saw and I checked it out really close. Turned out it was originally built for a offy and these guys had put a stock 406 ford with 3X2's in it. The front was too heavy and pushed really bad but when he got it all straightened up it pulled hard down the straight. The biggest motor that traveled from Indiana was 301. Man-O-Man,were those the days for a couple of teen age motor heads from Indiana.
    Patrick Swartz

18. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Great pictures Ed.

19. newbbs

newbbs Member

It is what it is, the GREATEST SHOW ON DIRT, I hope they return to the TMS dirt track some day, a fantastic fast track to watch OUTLAWS!!!!

We sure miss the shows that they would put on in central Texas.

R Newberry

20. gcessna

gcessna Member

AveragEd I was told once that if I had the time to go to Eldora during the week before a big race and watch Earl prepare the track. They said that is a show in its self.

Gary Cessna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kenny jacobs sprint car driver

late model race car mud plugs

world of outlaws 410