1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Word of warning if you ship fedex via gunbroker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago, I shipped a rifle barrel back to the manufacturer using the fedex portal on gunbroker. It's usually a little cheaper than the rack rate I get with my fedex account. It is a benefit for gunbroker.com members.

Long story short, the item was damaged in transit. After some legwork, fedex agreed to pay the claim.

Here's the rub. Since it was shipped through gunbroker, their name is listed as the shipper. Because of this, Fedex won't cut you a check. They either cut the check to gunbroker, or you need to get gunbroker to send them a release saying its OK to pay you.

I messaged gunbroker last thursday and requested that they fax or email this release so I can get paid. Finally heard back from them this morning (after a couple more messages, a fax, and a note on their facebook page), they will accept the payment from fedex, then cut me a check. According to the lady I spoke with @ Gunbroker, as long as they know the amt, and that the claim is being paid, they'll cut me a check before the one from fedex even arrives (which at least saves me a couple days).

This really isn't the end of the world, but creates much more legwork and time lag when it comes to getting paid on your claim (if Fedex paid me directly, I would have had the funds in hand already, now I'm looking at late this week, early next). It also further complicates an already complicated processes.

This isn't really gunbrokers fault, or fedex fault, its more a fault of how the shipment is paid for and billed, but it is something that I was not aware of until it was an issue.

Just a heads up for anyone who ships fedex via gunbroker (and in reality, for anyone who's shipping through a 3rd party). I will continue to ship using the fedex portal on gunbroker, but only on items of low risk or low value, where insurance is not an issue.

BTW, my net savings by going through gunbroker was 78 cents LOL This was originally slated to go USPS, but the prepaid label wouldn't scan when I took it there, and I didn't want to drive all the way back across town and stand in line again.

On the upside, I now have a viable telephone number for gunbroker, with a couple viable extensions, in case I have any future issues...

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Gunbroker's "special" rate is higher than what I get with my FedEx account.

Jim Skeel

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Jim- If you don't mind me asking, what did it take to get a better rate with fedex?

On one of the items I just shipped, the gunbroker rate was actually quite a bit higher than the rack rate that I pay.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Ian,

Join the NRA Business Alliance program. This is what I use for my business and I get a pretty competitive rate from FedEx through this program.

5. high 2

high 2 Member

Rich, what do you have to do to get the NRA rate? I am a member of the alliance. Just contact FedEx for the discounted rate? Thank Larry

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I can't remember off the top of my head because I signed up for it a few years ago but I believe you have to contact the rep that deals with the NRA's program. There should be info on it on the NRA Business Alliance website. The rate I get from FedEx is cheaper than UPS and it doesn't change if I have a period of time where I don't use FedEx for a few weeks. UPS' rates were based on the quantity of packages shipped through them.

7. high 2

high 2 Member

Thanks for the info, Larry

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ian, I have had a FedEx account for 20+ years. I do not do much business with them today but I used to do several thousand a year with them.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.