1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

woolly snap caps

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tj303, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tj303

tj303 Member

Looking for new woolly snap caps. Any recommendations? Thanks TJ

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Buy some from Krieghoff. They are cool looking. I believe the lanolin has been left in the wool for rust protection?

3. Toddy

Toddy Member

TJ,

If you go to this website you will see snap caps under 1 of the categories.Under gun accessories.

http://www.battenfieldsportinggoods.com/

Reg. Todd

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Using any snap cap, wooly or not, is inheritably dangerous.

5. Toddy

Toddy Member

I also disagree,

Only the idiots that use so called spent shells or test their reloads to see if they fit think that snap caps are dangerous......

If everyone used the proper brass wooly snap caps then there wouldn't be these "stupid" accidents.

RT

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"All guns are always loaded". Ergo, always take out and inspect what's in the chamber before pulling the trigger. Always, always.

7. Toddy

Toddy Member

Chango2, I agree.

This thread was started by TJ303 trying to find a place to buy wooly, snap caps and I provided that but I must also add that the 4 sets I have are no longer available through Motor doctor because the gentleman that made these perfect brass snap caps died and I know I will miss being able to buy these from him but the ones at battenfields are the closest I've seen to the ones I have.

Not only do they do the job I want but they also make great gifts for trapshooting friends and relatives.

RT

8. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I keep the 12 gauge only in stock for my customers. I find they really help on the Brownings. Omaha

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Skeetster...

That's "inherently", but I have to disagree - indian v. arrow.

Back to the subject at hand...

The "best" wooly snap caps I've found, are those with a removeable mop. I got some from Tron, but others from Shotgun Sports magazine, shooting accessories.

All are nice brass, with HD springs and the mops can easily be replaced, once fully soiled.

$20/pair +/-

Jay

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Wooly snap caps are as safe as they can get. It would take a complete idiot to mistake a wooly snap cap for the real thing. I cannot say that for other snap caps.

11. tj303

tj303 Member

Thanks for the recommendations. TJ

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I have them and have used them, but no longer for long term storage. In a properly cleaned Browning 525 Sporting, stored barrel down, there was a "spot" the size of a BB, just inside the chamber, where some corrosion was starting, and it looked nasty; although easily cleaned, with a corresponding spot on the brass snap cap. I use G-96 and had sprayed a light covering on the wool part. Obviously, the brass part was touched with my fingers upon insertion, and suppose that was the source of the contamination. For long term storage, ~month or so, I'd advise against using them, and store, barrel down, with the chambers clean & empty. If you feel compelled to drop the hammers, then just do it on empty chambers. ....mike

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Do we not have idiots at the club clubs? Are not we all idiots from time to time? It only takes a second under the idiot wand.

14. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Pro-Shot makes some solid ones, just picked up a pair at the new Scheels in Reno.

Jim

15. Toddy

Toddy Member

Jerry,

Well put.

RT

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

FlaLagrato - "I'm putting it away in the case for the trip home."

Why not just wait until you are home to drop the hammers? Why be dropping them at the club?

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think the general irritation on this subject comes from the finger pointing at the snapcap, which in an of itself is a completely save, non-incendiary device... not the knuckleheads who somehow mistake a snapcap with a shell.

If we take the side of the shmuck who can inadvertently misidentify a loaded, colored plastic hull from a cheapo plastic snap cap sans wooly end - can we excuse the Bozo who somehow confuses that same loaded shell with heavy weight brass/chrome bodied cap with a 3" fiber extension on its end?

I've seen a lot of ammo, this thread was on wooly caps and I can't see a possibility of how anyone can inadvertently mistake a loaded shell for a wooly snap cap.

Now all that said... I was guilty of leaving a loaded shell in a gun ONCE - which is why I USE wooly snap caps and have been doing so for years!

So this shmuck, speaks from some experience!

regards to all,

Jay

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

www.kevinscatalog.com

Been using them for years on my 686, work great.

19. dzeh

dzeh Member

I bought some from Joe Rossman (onholdguy@ameritech.net) who had a post on here quite some time ago. The ones he was selling were great and at a good price. Not sure if the address is still good.

20. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I got mine from http://www.gamaliel.com I think they cost about $20.00 for 2 they are blue on the bottom not removeable though. I usually put some WD40 on them as I've been told that it can remove moisture .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to make woolly snap caps

krieghoff wooly snap caps