1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wooden targets for setting trap angles and flight?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

LOL. Sounds like some of my many ideas(mostly while downing more than my share of alcoholic beverages) that just did not pan out.

Matt

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

When I was a trap setter in my youth, I heard, on occasion, that a wooden or metal target actually would get thrown. I was told.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Barry- wink

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I heard......ow......there's something in my eye........ouch.

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Too bad there's not a cheap way to manufacture clay targets with those "tea bags" of fluorescent powder attached to the bottoms like they used in Beijing for the 2008 Olympics. It was sure fun to watch the targets getting hit and seeing the big pink puffs drifting downwind. I'm sure it made it more interesting for the other spectators as well. Night-shooting targets like that under lights must be nothing short of spectacular! .....Rick

6. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

Hello all you claybusters:

Well there is a way to make the "tea-bag" targets. One of our club members will take a target and fill the "dome" with printer toner of vcarious colors and then seals the top with a very thin piece of cardboard secured with either super glue or garilla glue. When struck there is spectacular puff of "colored smoke" The targets stack on the machines without any problems and fly just like any other target. However it is a bit messy to assemble if you are not careful and is a bit labor intensive.

Billy P

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Too bad there's not a cheap way to manufacture clay targets with those "tea bags" of fluorescent powder

You can hand make flash targets, assembly line fashion, using Chalk Line powder for special shoots. Helps if you have teenagers to do the work.

A sporting clays range owner this past summer made up a case for a video he wanted me to shoot for posting on his website.

A sample...

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BxabaGe9P8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BxabaGe9P8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Barry.... I have heard, (only heard, mind you) that a wrap of electrical tape around the black rim of the target will also cause some very curious looks from the shooters that try to break them and don't..... It definately didn't pay to piss off the trap setters in those days, you know what I mean??? Dan Thome (Trap2) Ex-trapsetter for many years...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.