1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wooden rib pattern

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TD1958, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Looking for someone that might have a wooden rib fabed up to raise point of impact prior to having the real deal made. I am in need of one to fit a 34 in. BT99 barrel for a fellow shooter who is constantly shooting under targets and doesn't like to idea of shooting with the com jacked up to raise the POI. I thought maybe it would save me a few steps in getting him breaking more targets. Thanks, Tim

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Tim, you put a higher rib on you are going to lower POI and end up raising the comb anyhow.There are some other things involved here he is going to have to consider.

Steve

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Raising the rib without a corresponding raise of the comb will result in lowering the POI, not in raising it. To raise the POI, you must either lower the front sight (rib/bead) or raise the rear sight (comb/eye). Just to maintain the current POI, you would have to raise the comb by whatever height was added to the existing rib.

4. TD1958

TD1958 Member

What i had planned was making the wood pattern tapered with the beads installed. This way i can play with the taper until the POI is where it needs to be. I know other shooters have used this method, just thought if someone had one laying around it would give me astarting point. Tim

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

You can do one of two things, make a mock up out of balsa or someother light material spray it black and tape it to the existing rib. If you want the poi higher the add-on rib must be higher at the rear sloping downward towards to front. The more slope the higher the poi. You can use small cut short colored push pin for a front beadand a straight pin for the mid bead. Another way is to use a bump. A bump is nothing more than a piece material that raises the mid bead which can be taped to the rib, use a cut off straight pin for a mid bead. Depending on thickness(Height) will determine how high the poi.

Regardless which way you go to raise the poi, you will have raise the comb to
    to keep the eye (rear sight) above the rib.

Surfer

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Tim, Fabric shops and hobbie shops have strips of balsa wood you can use. Put the taper you want from back to front, spray paint flat black and use 3m 2 sided tape. Works good I used it on a SxS for about 6 months. I used a pin with a white plastic end on it for a bead. Bill

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I used a strip of oak on the one I made for my KS-5 Special. Painted it black and used the hobby stick pins for front and mid beads. The ones I bought came in several different sizes and colors.I still have it around, but it was made for a 32 in. bbl.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.