1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by I WON, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I WON

I WON TS Member

What is the most sought after to have a stock made of ?

2. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

Turkish walnut is, to my knowledge, some of the rarest and nicest to have a stock made out of.

J.D.

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

English Walnut. Turkish origin often has beautiful colors and grain but English is English. Jake

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Jakearoo - unless I am badly mistaken, Turkish, English, French, Carpasian...all the same species of tree with the only difference being the impact of the area in which they grew. I doubt anybody is finding much Juglans Regia actually grown in England anymore.

Cheers

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Judging by the number of Mossbergs and Remingtons sold with this wood, I'd have to say Poplar.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You didn't what type of gun. So, I would say Plastic has become the most popular in the gun industry.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Ljutic is stocked in California "English" walnut...and a very nice stick, if I do say so myself....bought the wood from Ernie Paulsen from Chinook, Mt. back in the early 90's...he's retired now but was a dealer of fine gunwood that gave the best value for the dollar of anybody back then, bar none. He sold "Juglans Regia" (royal walnut) from California and New Zealand. The "kiwi" stuff was unique in that it had a grey color with black streaks and figure, unlike that from anywhere else. Never got around to buying any of that from him. And all the walnut called English, French, Circassian, etc. came from nuts brought by the crusaders from Turkey and Persia (now Iran). The real turkish wood is spectacular. The Spanish monks brought it to California abd it also showed up in Utah and New Zealand. Every region it grows in imparts it's own unique color, and if you're a wood nut like me, you can never own enough of it!!

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

When it comes to gunstock wood, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. I once spent over an hour deciding between two new KS-5 Specials with factory wood and that was after narrowing the choices down to those two from the dozen in the shipping crate! And what looks good to one person does nothing for another.

When I bought my Wenig stock for the KX-5 I now shoot, my son made the selection process easy for me. While I was being fitted, he rooted and rummaged through the piles of blanks Wenig had at the Grand and picked an English Walnut blank. Fred Wenig then put the forend blank for that stock blank back and went the box of pre-inletted KX-5 forend blanks, returning with an even nicer piece that matches even better than the one cut from the same piece of wood.

I'm glad my son chose English as I have always liked the warm color it usually has.

Ed

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

post some pics when it's done...Myrtle can be verrry nice...

10. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Average Ed is correct about beauty and the beholder. Dennis DeVault made me a stock from Cream Myrtle and it's the most beautiful wood I've ever had. It's featured on Dennis web page under custom wood -- it's the TM1 Special.

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Baron, You are absolutely correct. English is English. Where it grows, how old, how much water, etc. will have an impact on the color and grain. But, Juglans Regia is Juglans Regia. It is considered the best gunstock wood by most stockmakers for its workability, beauty, durability and weight. Jake

12. Guy

Guy Member

Paste this to see some Turkish: http://www.walnut-gunstockblanks.com/index.html