1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wood stock w/ 3/4" offset @ comb-possible?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

wood stock w/ 3/4

am curious as to whether or not a stock w/ so much offset would be achievable in wood. I have my pfs setup w/ about that much offset with a comb I made similar to the ultimate fit comb, and always wondered if I ever wanted to go back to pretty wood if i'd even be able to replicate the dimensions in wood. My stock is about 1.5"x1.5"x2.5", w/ about 30* cant on the butt plate, maybe 1/4" offset of the buttplate from center, and about 5/8"-3/4" offset @ the comb (applicable dimensions being left hand). I'm sure some of the stockmakers on here can enlighten me.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

wood stock w/ 3/4

andy- thanks for the info. If I were to get away from the pfs for another recoil reducer, it would probably be for the g-squared, doesn't add alot of weight, adjustable, and the comb moves w/ the pad. Soft touch is good too, but heavy.

Curious on the wenig, did you order it that way w/ the 5/8" offset dimension, or did it just happen to come that way? I was thinking about getting a matched pair of wenig stocks (one for the kolar and one for the 1100), but would want to be able to just tell them what dimensions I want w/ out having to go through a complete fitting process since i have a pretty good handle on what I need.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

wood stock w/ 3/4

Having only a "pretty good handle" on the cast dimension seems inadequate when you consider the price you will pay for wood.

There is considerably more to combs than the cast and drop dimensions, for example their taper from the thickness of the stock to the top of the comb and how that taper is shaped. There also various ways to fashon the cast. The stock can be straight cast, offset or twisted.

Some combs are rather pointed while others are broader a quarter-inch below their top surfaces, both with the same cast and drop dimensions.

There is also the comb thickness taper from front to back to consider.

Some of the dimensions would be virtually impossible for you to describe or measure. Wenig would need this information to make satisfactory stocks for you at a price probably exceeding $300 for plain wood because of the custom dimensions.

With the complexity of the stocks you want, I strongly suggest a fitting. It is the only way you can be assured of getting the stocks the way you want them.

Rollin

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

wood stock w/ 3/4

stock duplication come to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.