1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood Splitter... What to Buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ammo222, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Ammo222

Ammo222 Member

Moved to a rural area and am cutting trees on property. I will have hard maple
    up to 16"-18" in diameter which I want to split and dry for firewood. I need a
    wood splitter big enough to handle 20-30 cords or more each year. Any
    suggestions of what to buy and how big much power does the splitter need to
    split wood this large would be appreciated. Also should I let it dry 6-12
    months before trying to split it ? Thx GDR

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Northern Tool and Tractor Supply has a bunch of them, my buddy had one that I think is a 22 ton and he has split many cords of wood with it

3. APrice

APrice Active Member

I've had both and I would highly recommend the vertical variety rather than the horizontal.

Of course, you CAN have it both ways now:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326288_200326288?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Logging-_-Log%20Splitters-_-1108&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1108&gclid=COvYrY2tqLkCFRGg4Aodf3gAhw

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That looks like the one Bruce has, we can split a cord of wood faster than they can bring it and take it away

5. digdug13

digdug13 Member

buy a monster maul it will help your trap scores.

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

GDX, Split your chunks when they are green. They will dry (season) faster. Do you mean 30 cords or 30 face cords? Look for a demonstration on splitters or wood processors in your area. My splitter is simple but slow. I bought it 20 years ago at Central Tractor. I'm going to be very busy myself in the woods as we just had over 100 acres logged and there's lots of tops, culls and butt ends. Larry

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I agree , split it green if you can.

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Look at the ratio of tons to HP.

Divide the ton rating of the ram by the horse power of the engine - the smaller that number the longer the unit should last.

Obviously a stronger (bigger) ram is better, but if it is underpowered the engine will wear rather quickly. Thus a 25 ton ram with an 8 HP engine (ratio 3.13) MAY be better than a 30 ton ram with a 9 HP engine (ratio 3.33).

Look also for steel cylinder and engine brand (of late Honda is rated the highest, then Briggs and on down from there).

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rent one at Home Depot. If you like it you can buy one. HMB

10. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

When considering a log splitter think about the ugliest log section you have ever seen and ask what it takes to split it. Example, the fork of an American Elm tree where the main trunk is 16 inches and each leg is 12 inches. A section of Cedar from right at the base. How would you split that and how much power will it take? If you are just going to take straight sections and no knotty sections then get a 22 or so ton splitter. If you are going to split every stick of wood you come across get the 35 + ton splitter. Cut wood when the sap is down, like early spring and late fall, then split it as soon as you can get on it. Stack it under cover and let it season a full year before you burn it and your chimney and your house will thank you. Most of the high capacity splitters are multi-position so that for a little bit of splitting of small stock you can leave the ram/splitter horizontal and split and git. They also un-pin and fold down so that the ram is vertical and the big heavy logs don't have to be horsed up off the ground to split. An example is at the link above to Tractor Supply.

Don T.

11. Ammo222

Ammo222 Member

Thank you gents for all the information. Hope your future has many 100 straights in it. GDR

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

flashmax, I didn't know you could split Elm? LOL I've got one down on some property I own. I can't split it. I only have a big maul, and I couldn't split it when it was green, a year old or now 5 years later. It has that "twist", and it is hard on chain saws too.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a MTD log Splitter. It works well for me at time splitting 21 cords a year.

When looking for a log splitter get one that is splitting waist high. You don't want to be bending over splitting wood. Your back will give out. One that can stand up straight so to quarter the big pieces of wood that you can't lift up to the splitter.

Get a splitter that has a HONDA engine. That is a must.

The log splitter that I will buy one day is a good one. www.timberwolf.com This log splitter will do what you want plus. It has a lift arm to bring your wood up to you. You roll the log to the arm and it lifts it up to be split. It will lift a 500 pound log. You can also get a 4 or 6 way splitter. In other words when you push a log though the splitter you get either 4 or 6 pieces of wood from one log with one split. It also does alot more.

If you don't buy a splitter that has a lift arm it is a good idea to have a table on the other side of the splitter. The reason is I use a table to hold the wood to be split and to catch the far side split wood. That way your not walking around the the spitter and picking up the other half and then splitting it. The table holds it for you to split. I'm on my third table. Each one I make better then the other.

14. Auctioneer

Here are some pic's of the wood shed and the table that I use for the splitter. As you can also see its alot of wood and scrap. Hope this helps.
    auctioneer_2009_050725.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050726.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050727.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050728.jpg

15. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I have a Troy Built 25 ton with a Honda motor. It's never met a piece of Oak it won't split. Plus it starts on the first pull. It'll split both horizontal and vertical. Came with tail lights for towing. 1 7/8" ball.
    Mike C.
    Groveland, CA

16. Auctioneer

I learned the hard way. I got tired of picking that heavy damn wood up AGAIN. LOL. My first table was a card table. It lasted long enough to say its worth building a table. I then built my second table out of plywood and 2x4's. It lasted 3 to 4 years. The next one I built out of 2 1/2" tube metal. The top is 5/8th plywood treated. With removeable legs for traveling. Works great.

I was thinking of hinging, welding or something a table to the frame like you did TinMan88. I just didn't want to take the temper out of the frame. That is why I went with the moveable table.

17. jwells

jwells Member

if you have a tractor get one that will run off the hydraulics of the tractor, its just eliminates another engine to service. I just let it sit on the ground and roll up the logs and split. the less you lift the more you will split.

18. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Try and find one of these, used onr for years!

Split anything I put under it.

19. Ammo222

Ammo222 Member

Thank you friends . All good information. I'm new to this and appreciate your help. Auctioneer... good information and appreciate the pictures. Several people have mentioned Honda engines.... Are they considered superior to others? I'm in Canada and some companies mentioned here are not available here. I'm looking at a Toro splitter this week. Anyone know anything about them ?
    Thx gdr

20. Auctioneer

I just looked at the Toro pic's on Google but I will look at YouTube also. One thing came up in the pic. Make sure you don't dance around the tire to split wood. At some point if you do you will want to saw off that damn tire. You want to stand in one place and split wood with out anything hitting your leg or dancing around something.

Search tags for this page
how big of log splitter do i need to split 6 ways
log splitter with lifting arm

veermeer ls200