1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood Grain Painted Stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Guy, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Member

Here's my latest project. It was done by Hydro-Dip, link below. Talk to Scott Springer.....scott@hydro-dip.com. Charged me $145 delivered. I've had the normally checked areas on the stock recessed....once masking is removed, will fill with a rubberized compound....I'll post when finished. Looks pretty decent now, don't you think?

Link: http://hydro-dip.com/all_patterns.htm

They can do other things that may not be shown on website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Don't-cha think that's cheatin? You probably see imaginary chips too... I know your type.

3. Guy

Guy Member

Yup. I'm a cheater....and most of you heroes won't know the difference.

C'mon MIA, you're already thinking about a project for this, aren't you?

It's the rubberized grip deal that will be interesting....I'm tired of burning off the checking every 6 months.

4. Guy

Guy Member

If you go to their website, the buttons at the top don't work.....use the buttons at the bottom of the page.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

So here is my question (real one). Is that painted on or an applique or vinyl type stick on?

6. Guy

Guy Member

It's paint. From what I can figure, they float the paint pattern on water in a tank....the object is then raised out of the water through the paint....that allows the paint to flow around all nooks and crannies. Some patterns take more than one dip....then a coat of clear is applied.....can be flat, matte, or gloss.

If you go to their website, you'll see how this process is used alot to make a wood grain pattern on plastic parts for auto interiors....and just about anything else.

I didn't think of it at the time, but I think I'll have the handle of my stock tool done to match.

I started out wanting a heavy stock made....so I bought a stick of Bastogne fencepost from Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas....I also wanted an alternative to the checking I seem to burn off so fast.

It's been fun so far, but the test will be in how the surface performs over time....it sure doesn't cost much to find out.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

MIA,

It's done the same way they apply the camo treatment on new guns. It's very cool process, but I have no idea how it works.

WGH,

I'd be very interested in the rubber grip insert, and how that turns out. I think that would reduce hand fatigue big time. I've considered getting a Jack West stock and fitting it with such a insert so as to have a palmswell.

ss

8. Guy

Guy Member

ss: I'm going to take this rubberized grip stuff and mix in alittle sand....this stuff bonds to itself, so repairs should be easy, and I think it could be built up to form a palmswell easy enough. I always shoot with gloves, so it should be sticky enough to keep from sliding around.

It will take me another week or so until I can get it to the point where I can take a picture to post....and I should get to try it for the first time on zz's on the 15th.

9. Guy

Guy Member

Absolutely. This stuff works on wood, plastic, or metal. I've attached pics from their website.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jhoward

jhoward Member

According to the webiste they no longer do wood stocks. Bet they could do a number on the Jack West stocks though.

11. Guy

Guy Member

I'm sure they just haven't updated their site. I'll check on it.

12. citadel

citadel Active Member

What is the rubber grip stuff that you are proposing to use for the palm area and where do you get it? Thanks,

Doug

13. Guy

Guy Member

Well boys, I sent an email to Hydro-Dip about wood stocks....here is their reply. Do any of you have an idea for sealing wood while it is dipped in the water, yet will not leave an oil on the wood, so the paint will stick? Sorry boys, I thought this was a great idea....and mine turned out OK.

Here's the reply:

Guy, ironically you are the last customer to receive dip on wood items from Hydro-Dip. The risk for cracking and swelling regardless of our efforts to seal the wood is too great. We've had 2 or 3 stocks swell and crack causing very unhappy customers. Until we can find a better solution for sealing the wood I have had to stop processing all wood--it's not safe.

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

How did Beretta solve the sealing problem? Is it easier on new wood?

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Was hoping for a 'coon tail' pattern, but no joy.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

This company no longer paints wood stocks. Just heard from them today.

17. Guy

Guy Member

I sent another email to Scott with some ideas and questions.....here is his response:

Holy cow Guy! Lots of interest from your group coming in both calls and emails. Michael Turner from Turner Customs thinks he can help me with the wood problem. I'll be speaking with him today. That's exciting news for me! I had to turn away 4 jobs yesterday because of this issue--it made me sick... Times are tough and every job makes a difference. Thank you for the exposure you are giving me, it makes a difference. The minute I solve this problem I'll let you know.

Mainly full length wood rifle stocks, especially the old ones seem to pose the biggest risk.

Thank you again,
    Scott

18. claysetc

claysetc TS Member

I just found this thread on the nice stock work and painting, then I remembered a LINK to plastic checking, if the link dosen't work look here.
    http://www.rdprecision.net/diy.html

I have nothing to do with the work on this web site, just a saver of good sites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hydro dip rifle stock wood pattern
hydro dip walnut stock
hydro dipped wood grain shotguns
hydro dipping patterns for shotguns
shot guns painted wood grain
wood grain hydro dip

wood grain hydro dip gun

wood pattern hydro dipping guns