1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood from 1912 Fox CE trap gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by yooper59, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yooper59

yooper59 TS Member

I learned about this site in a conversation with a trap shooter yesterday at thanksgiving. I was telling him about my best gun and the extra wood for it that I have, and he suggested I post here for suggestions.

I have a 1912 AH Fox CE grade that started life as a trap gun (full and extra full chokes with a high trap stock) that I inherited from my father. Still have the original hang tags. He had the metal restored by Turnbull, opened the chokes to skeet1 and skeet 2, and had a new field/skeet stock made for it. It's a beautiful gun and I really enjoy shooting it at the skeet range and for pheasants (won't take it into the grouse woods). I still have the original stock and forend. It seems a waste for them to sit in a box in my basement until they get lost, forgotten, or ruined. Would there be a need for these by folks doing restorations? Is there a place where I might notify appropriate people of their availability? How much might these be worth? Thanks for any help.
    Brent Graves
    Negaunee, MI

2. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

I think I'd put the original stocks in a safe place and keep it. If you ever want to restore your gun to original that wood is irreplaceable.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

3. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

HI Brent - keeping the stock may be a very good idea for sentimental reasons...I will not try to talk anyone out of family hierlooms, however, if you do want to sell the wood, I am interested. Please remove the xxx from the e-mail address below;

s.l.meyersXXX@comcast.net

As for value, not really sure, you may want to check with the Double Guns Journal BBS, these guys are expert on all things SxS;

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I would hope, however, that you give me a shot at this stock set before you sell elsewhere. My intention is to take a Fox Sterlingworth and do an upgrade to it and I like high comb stocks (they fit me), so your wood will go to good purpose if you do decide to sell it.

Thanks

Stephen Meyers

4. yooper59

yooper59 TS Member

I understand the importance of keeping vintage guns original, and so the value of keeping the original wood. But this gun has had the metal completely restored (engraving and reblue) and the chokes have been opened from full and extra full to skeet and IC. So it is never going to be a trap gun again, and it is never going to be original again. I won't remove the current field/skeet stock which is very nice wood and nicely made by Fajen (from Arkansas I believe) and Dave Wolf of Waco. So chances are the original stock would just sit in a box in my basement until I'm gone, then someday someone would find it, not know what it is, and throw it away. I'd rather see someone use it to restore a gun. Thanks for the tip about doublegunshop.com. I am waiting to have my registration on that site validated to get some advice about value. Thanks for the input and tips.
    Brent

5. yooper59

yooper59 TS Member

Can anyone give me an idea of what a fair price for this trap stock and beavertail forend would be? I have tried to register to doublegunshop.com, but have not yet been verified. Maybe the moderator is on Thanksgiving holiday. Any help will be appreciated.
    Brent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.