1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood forearm too skinny for big hands-solutions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bueno, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bueno

Bueno Member

I just got a new Blaser F3, and the wood forearm is way too skinny for my big hands. It is also a schnabel
    which I dislike, as I would rather have a thicker english type.
    The question is this:
    Does anyone know where I can get a self adhesive piece of rubber or other material that I can stick on without risking removing the finish on the gun? The purpose is to make the forearm thicker, and less slippery. I thought about velcro, but that is not thick enough and looks terrible. Any ideas?
    Please don't suggest buying another forearm, as that would be the duh, duh, answer.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You said velcro would look terrible but a piece of rubber on a new forearm wouldn't??

Gamaliels has some rubber pads that are stick on for a guns comb. It comes in various thickness and could be cut to fit a forearm i suppose. It is supposedly easily removed with lighter fluid without causing damage to the finish. At $9.95 its worth a try.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I knew a guy with a similar problem. He used a couple computer mouse pads in order to make the forend larger so his hands would not be burned from the heat of the barrel. He also tried a bycycle seat gel pad. You need to experiment as which one does the job for you.

He used pieces of velcro to maintain it in place. Suggest take a trip to the hardware store and look around. Another guy I knew tried the stickable rubber membrane used just below roof shingles.
    Steve Balistreri

4. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Try contacting Blaser and see if they have a non-schnabel style that they would interchange. There might be a few bucks change hands in the transaction, but it might be a quick solution.

Mike Mann

5. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

You could try Rat Grips........might not be pretty but probably no solution like this would be pretty. At least Rat Grips would be highly functional.

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

For an immediate shortcut a thick glove might work. I think Mikes solution is what I would seek for a permanent remedy.

Robert

7. Bueno

Bueno Member

Somebody else said to use the rubber that its used to replace worn ping pong paddles, and the color can blend with the wood and get a double faced stick on pad. Also wearing gloves has been helpful but is not a 100% solution.
    Thank you guys, I have some great options now.
    PS: I did call Blaser and they were not very helpful and told me to contact the dealer.

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

My guess is that anything you stick onto the wood for an extended period is going to discolor the wood, if not remove the finish. Eventually, you'll want to remove it, and then I think you've got trouble.

I agree with Mike above. Do it right the first time.

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Buy a k80. K makes an oversized forend for your problem.

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Bueno, when inquiring with a Blaser dealer about my interest in aquiring a Blaser he indicated to me that several stock options were available. It may well be a dealer function to obtain what you need. Makes me wonder if another Blaser owner would be interested in a potential trade.

Robert

11. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Why not just have a stock maker make you a bigger forend?

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I can't think of any solution that will not look really bad on your Blaser. Rat Grips is the best solution I can think of. It can be dyed or painted. However...maybe how it looks is not that important..."function over form"... is better than the alternative.

All that said, you didn't buy a Mossberg ya know...but value wise using velcro, rat grips, foam, etc. you might as well price it that way...that's what it will be worth. I know you said don't say it....Get a forearm made or live with what you got for Christ sake.

13. Bueno

Bueno Member

I found a solution that I think will work. I went to home depot and bought clear velcro strips which I placed in the bottom of the forearm. Then I ordered a ping pong paddle replacement rubber which I will cut to the dimensions when I get it, and place the other side of the velcro on it, and place in the bottom of the forearm when I am shooting.
    Later, I will get another forearm or try to trade the schnabel for a thicker english type.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You could EPOXY a 2x4 to the bottom of foream.

GB
    DLS

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

wrap it in tortillas while we're in Puebla!!

16. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Slit and fit a piece of rubber hose over the forend. It should stay on as you grip it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.