1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood finnishing question...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rookie tim, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rookie tim

rookie tim TS Member

I just have one question, do I put my Birchwood Casey filler sealer on before or after I put the B.C. walnut stain on? Make that two questions, do I put more than one coat of the filler sealer on? If so about how many? I know that makes three questions. I did my last sanding with 1000 grit paper.

I finnished my first stock a couple weeks ago and it turned out really nice. It was an old Rem mod. 34 .22 rifle of my dads. When I brought it back to him he couldn't believe it was the same gun. I didn't use any filler sealer before applying True oil. I just want to see if the B.C. filler sealer helps do an even better job.

2. rookie tim

rookie tim TS Member

3. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but I have always put the wood filler-sealer on first...Bill

4. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Generally, if the wood is sealed before a stain is applied, the stain won't penetrate and color as it should. When finishing furniture, I've always stained first (except on very soft woods which get a wash coat of diluted shellac to seal the softest areas just a bit), then sealed so the finish covers the hard and soft areas of the grain uniformly, then finished.

If the wood is to be left natural, seal first, then apply the finish.

Mike

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Normally, a sealer is used to reinforce the grain structure and to slow the infiltration of moisture and oil into the wood. The purpose of a filler, on the other hand, is to fill the tiny voids in the grain to provide a perfectly flat surface with the final finish.

I have not used a two-in-one product. As was said above, stain (alcohol based is best) is put on raw wood after the stock is dewhiskered. Dewhiskering (or whiskering, if you prefer) raises the grain with dampening it, after which it is removed using sandpaper or steel wool. This procedure avoids the grain rising din humid conditions, which can ruin the finish on a stock, especially if it is an oil.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.