1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wood dents

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grunt, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is there a way to raise wood dents without damaging the finish?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Depends on the finnish. You need to use steam to raise the dent. The least amount of damage would be with an oil finnish stock. A high gloss poly finnish would be at the other end of the scale. HMB

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Need pics but I may be able to help. There are many ways to repair a dent some are easy and cheep others may cost some but most can be addressed for less than the cost of a complete refinish.

4. Habib

Habib Member

As hmb says, "You need to use steam to raise the dent." But the steam can't get to the wood unless the finish is removed. The finish is a barrier. That is it's purpose.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm anxious to see "Gun Fitter" answer. I do steam when the surface coat has been cracked. But you need to be so careful because just a bit too much steam can put a "fog" in the finish.

So get your pics up or I will for you. Email attached pics to me.

Jack

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Jack heres a bit more detailed answer. Not all finishes can be repaired by steaming. Some ned to be removed first. Many of the shinny types can be filled to level and polished with Cyanoacrylate. Some need the finish removed and steamed.

Last one you might have to iron them out. I don't mean a steam iron but a round metal dowel and pressure; then coat afected area with oil finish.

Been working with wood for 40 years! You need to see the damage to determine the type of finish in place and to see what extent the damage has affected the origional finish.

Joe

7. grunt

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

As your mother said when you got that first pimple:

"Leave it alone, you'll only make it worse."

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

A dent in an oil finished stock can be steamed up. I will usually use a wet towel and an iron. Polymer finishes the steam can not get to the wood. If the finish is totally removed you can wet the stock and dry it over a heat source. This will also raise the "whisker" which can be sanded down with a high grit paper (+400) to enhance the grain.

10. grunt

Your right about pimples, My mom said the same thing. Thanks all for the tips. Dave

11. Habib

Habib Member

John, what kind of oil finish are you referring to? What happens after the steam passes through the finish, raises the dent and then condenses back to water? Don't you now have water under the finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.