1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood choice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Nutso, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutso

Nutso Member

I will be having a new stock made in the very near future, and was wondering about wood choice. I'm leaning toward Claro, or American Black Walnut.

Advice?

2. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

I like a high quality walnut, regardless of the species. I also, for many years appreciated darker woods for most blued guns. But just about six months ago I decided to change directions and had a stock made from Myrtlewood. Very, very nice results...

It's a light colored wood but has all the features of a good hardwood for making stocks. Add this to a stainless gun and it's something special. However it also looks good with blue or Teflon surfaced receivers and barrels. If you want something a bit different, but with all the qualities of a nice hardwood, take a look at Myrtlewood. Check Google for dealers on the Internet. BTW, it's an American wood that grows in our Pacific Northwest. Good stuff.....

3. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

i have a friend who has Claro on his Ljutic. Replaced the Claro with English. When we took the Claro stock off, we found it to be considerably lighter than the English. You might want to keep this in mind. Hope this helps, Roy

4. Nutso

Nutso Member

Thanks, diffintley don't want to take away weight. I want strong, heavy and crotch feather figure. Grade wise I will select medium or full fancy.

5. high 2

high 2 Member

Ray's is right about Claro. It tends to be very porous and open grained. You can find some very stunning pieces and a good price, but would be one of my last choices for a gun stock. That's not to say there aren't solid Claro blanks out there, just not many. You can find some nice black walnut for far less than English or Turkish I've got a few pieces of black walnut if you are interested. Larry

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Gordon Smith from Old Tree Gun Blanks used to post regularly here, and offered special deals to TS.com members. I bought a couple of nice blanks from him for a very good price, and am anxiously awaiting delivery on my Ruger #1 that I had restocked from one of the blanks. When it arrives, I will post pictures.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've got high grade English wood on my Ljutic, which replaced a nice piece of fiddleback Claro. I didn't notice a huge difference in weight. I'd stock a trap gun in Hawaiian Koa if I could get a piece as nice as what's on one of my rifles...but the really good stuff is getting very hard to get.

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

English or Turkish from the crotch of a 5 thousand year old tree would be my first choice if the powerball gods look favorable in my direction.

9. ljutic73

I with ya Old One Eye!

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I can't recommend Mike Mann highly enough. I gave him some basic parameters along with a price I wanted to hit. He sent me a fantastic blank of Bastogne Walnut. It was turned into this by Doug Carpenter:

FullRightSidesmall.jpg

I've since bought another blank from Mike only this time in Myrtle wood. Doug is working on it right now, but here is the blank: MyrtleStockBlank.jpg

Seriously, just call Mike. Tell him what you want and he will hook you up.

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Anything but some yellow/orange wood... gawd, the stuff looks like it's jaundiced!

Keller

12. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I just can't warm up to Myrtle wood or Maple....walnut is for gunstocks especially English.

13. ljutic73

This is what Exhibition Hawaiian Koa looks like...I happen to like it and like working with it...
    ljutic73_2008_030339.jpg

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My one of one Infinity is pin oak-drop dead beautiful---but real dense , therefore real heavy.

Phil Berkowitz

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

red elm baby!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.