1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood blanks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BudsterXT, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

My job is in the wood recycling business. I have access to different woods all the time.

Walnut, birch, osage orange, maples, oaks, etc. How can I collect good samples and what do I need to look at before I just toss a trunk, stump, Y branch at the grinder to be ground into chips. I have seen alot of good wood go to waste and would like to jump start my own blank furnishing enterprise.

I also need to know what to do to make a good blank.

Thanks, Kenny Uhlbeck

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

I'm no expert, but since no one else has offered anything, here goes. Maple is curly to the bark, if it's curly at all. Quilted and other oddities, I don't know.
    The feather in walnut is in the crotch, but not all of them. The stump is sometimes pretty with odd grain. Whack a side off with a chain saw and see what it looks like. Not many like oak, because it is open grained and heavy. Bodarc makes good bows. Not sure about gun stocks.

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Bois D Arc Is way hard if it's heart wood and is real orange in color. I would really hate to try machining it.

Bob

4. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Talk to Dennis DeVault and see if he's interested, he does a ton of stocks and he could probably give you some good advice...

5. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I just happen to be involved in land clearings. I have access to stuff that people do not see a future for. Stumps, Y branches, walnut logs, you name it I have seen it

I am just hoping that i can put 2+2 together and do something with it.

Thanks for any help.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well, heck i can help 2+2=4. Does that help any? Just kid'n of course. Good luck with your venture.

7. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Bud,

Give me a contact number at the email above and I'd be happy to talk with you. Been messing with wood for 40 years and maybe I could share something that would shorten your journey. Let me know where in the U. S. you are in the email. Assuming midwest by the Osage Orange comment.

I'll be cutting Yew Wood early tomorrow and could maybe talk later in the day.

Mike Mann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.