1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Woo Hoo ! It works !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I almost always used 7/8 oz of #8 for trap. 17.2 of red or Promo and AA/STS hulls. Fiocchi primers

I am usually a 23-24 shooter from the 16 yd line and have shot 50 straight with that load.

Today was high and gusty winds. I watched our high average shooters crash one after the next and decided to do something different.

I went to a modified choke and 1 1/8 oz #8 factory loads to fill in the pattern

Well it sure worked well; I had a 23 and a 24 and quite a few breaks were astounding. How many people shoot mod choke on a regular basis?

Someone else said they shoot with a cylinder and IC. Does that make sense?

Maybe they're a lot faster than I am.

thanks

2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

How should I know? I'm in Birmingham with no wind and a dixie-babe on each knee. Now, if those knees would only quit hurting......... I'd show 'em something........
    Mike

3. oz

oz Active Member

you didn't say what choke you use for 7/8 oz. I would use i/c oz

4. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I use an improved mod for 16's and capps (24 yd) 1oz 16's and 11/8 for capps with promo powder. Great set up for me.

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Prior to this test, 7/8 oz and everything else was IM or full

I wasnt going to use 9's although they work, and mod choke with 7 1/2 might have been too thin? Don't know

I had always thought of Trap a tight choke game. Maybe it is not?

regards

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

don't draw any conclusions off a single outing, time tested and proven is the way to go and what works for you.

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting trap since 2004, and I went to a Modified choke in 2005 and have been using it ever since.

The breaks are absolutely impressive. Most of the time (if I'm right in the center of the target) the target just disappears. No chips, nothing! Especially if I'm using 1 1/8 ounce load.

I shoot from the 16 with a modified and also from the 27. No difference noted in breaks. If I miss it's me, not the choke.

Kevin

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Careful boys...youse fellers that use and swear by them thar mod-e-fied chokes will be cursed at and called heretics by those trapshooting semi-god's that do nothing but hangout on this site.

Curt

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Now that's funny!

ss

10. shelly

shelly TS Member

47 out of 50 wouldn't seem to prove much to most people one way or the other. While I don't know what an "astounding break" is, it's no secret that the center of any pattern will be denser than the outer fringes. Heck, a cylinder choke will break quite a few targets from the 27 yard line but that doesn't prove that it's a good choice.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

A less talented shooter is better off with a more open choke. That has been proven if you will read the book by Dr. Jones. It is the shooter who is capable of 100's who benefits from a tighter choke.

One size DOES NOT fit all, and that is why many of us on this forum disagree. D and C shooters have different "needs" than the AA shooter.

In EVERY case, more shot will yield an advantage if the shooter can handle the recoil. This is so obvious it should not be disputed.

I agree with Twinbirds. 50 shots tell you squat about the right choke for your skill level.

Don Verna

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Lord, forgive me for using a choke in my gun that the trapshooting gurus on this website dissapprove of. I know it's just a temptation to open my choke up and enjoy the smoked target, but I can't help myself.

Please help me to control myself Lord, as I just can't bring myself to be as talented as others are. I feel so tiny and sinful, and need to confess that I'm having too much fun to care about it.

Thanks for the advice Curt.

13. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

When I was helping kids we always practiced with full if the had tubes then shot the shoots with mod of IM. personal opinion is that that will get you a couple targets when the going gets tough.

14. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I'll probably start an argument here, but what the heck. How many of you have done any patterning? How many know what you were looking at?

1) An *EFFECTIVE* 30" pattern is mythical. Sure, you can shoot paper and draw a 30" circle, but it will have numerous holes around the perimeter that wouldn't hit a bird. That knocks off a few inches. More of it will be thin, and if you've ever examined unbroken birds out at the range with two, even three holes in them, you know that ain't good enough. You'll be lucky to get a 22" effective pattern in trapshooting.

2) Pattern your chokes at trapshooting distances. There won't be much difference in coverage (apart from flyers), but the looser chokes will have a thinner pattern. The core will still be plenty hot enough to smoke targets.

3) What the choke is marked as often has little relation to actual results. When I had my 682, I had a MOD choke that shot a true full choke with my reloads.

4) Light hits are no help if you're trying to improve your pointing.

5) Oh, and one round or one day when you're *ON* means almost nothing.

15. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Some chokes marked modified will shoot patterns that are actually improved modified or full choke patterns. I have seen "modified" chokes with constrictions anywhere from .012 to .024, quite a range.

16. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

My point was I changed tactics under adverse conditions and took high score for the league that day.

Maybe I lost 3 birds to the choke, not the wind, but I'd bet anything that doing nothing would have left me in the dirt with everyone else that day

thanks for the humor and the help

17. shelly

shelly TS Member

Since you can't prove a negative, you really have no way of knowing what would or would not have happened if you had shot with a different choke, but no matter what choke you used adding 1/4 oz of shot to your pattern is significant. Since you changed 2 different things, how do you know it was the choke that made the difference? My bet would be on the 29% increase in shot with the choke change being a very minor factor. JMHO

Then again, you might have just had a good day. It happens.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I shoot mod rem 11oo from 16 yrd line most of the time. What kind of name is Bruce EM?

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

at the 16yd line theres not a enough difference in the smoke factor between a MOD and IMOD to even worry about letting it get your panties in a bunch over...especially when you are using quality aftermarket extended tubes in your gun like most do..even with 7/8oz'ers...screw a good IMOD in and Fahgetaboutit

20. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Like in Auntie EM

because...

"Were not in Kansas anymore"

I don't usually use my full name on public forums

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

woohoo nopanties