1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Women's trap Olympic gold medal, $182,400

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

Italian Jessica Rossi broke the world record in winning the women's trap Olympic shooting gold medal

---------

CNBC's Senior International Correspondent, Michelle Caruso-Cabrera

---------

With many countries in the world facing financial difficulties, there is greater focus on how much money governments are spending on Olympic athletes or Olympic-related events.

Raising eyebrows, Italy is paying $182,400 to any Italian who wins a gold medal. That's the highest payout in the world.

In second place is Russia, paying nearly $135,000. Third is France paying $ 65,200.

China reportedly offers $31,400 to gold medal winners, while Japan rewards them with $35,900, Canada gives $20,000, and Germany, just less than that, at $19,500 for a gold.

In the U.S., gold medal winners get $25,000, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze. This is not government money, it's paid by the U.S. Olympic Committee.
  2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

How much does it cost Winchester for Kim Rhode who shoots 500-1000 rounds practice per day?
  3. GunDr

GunDr Active Member

And, only in the USA does a medal winner need to pay income tax.
  4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Singapore was willing to pay 800K for a Gold Medal.

Phil Berkowitz
  5. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Member

Gentlemen,

For what it's worth, the figures that the Italians are now paying are greatly reduced from prior years. Dating back to the 1990's and into the new century, the Italians used to pay $1,000,000 for a Gold, $750,000 for a Silver and $400,000 for a Bronze in Men's Trap. Italian Silver Medalist Massimo Fabrizzi will have a nice pay day for his well deserved and valiant efforts. These people are extremely hard working and have lived like monks for many years, so don't begrudge them their reward, but rather applaud their commitment and sacrifice to attain this goal and a modest pay day.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb - President - Chubb International Shooting Sports, Inc.
  6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

And Obama wants to tax Olympic Winners a substantial amount approx 20% of the winnings,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

What Allen said.

We both spent time at the U.S. Olympic Training Center last winter. The lodging does remind one of a monastery.

I was the only Coach I saw that actually used the world-class gym.

The food, however, was GREAT. We had to hoof it to the Walgreen's down the street to get junk food. LOL
  8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Should be tax free since it was earned outside the US.....
  9. pufftarget

pufftarget Member

I don't think Corey wastes the resources at the training center and some of the younger shooters coming along make good use of the facility and recognize the necessity if they are to be competetive. When Josh Lakatos was at the center he trained with the cyclists to be in shape to withstand the grind and the adreneline spikes which occur in a world level competition. We do, though, need to develop a cadry of coaches able to bring our athletes to a world level. I know of only a couple at this point who have been responsible for champions at a world level.

Chuck
  10. Donm

Donm Member

I have read recently that one of our US Senator's was pushing to make the money earned by medal winners tax free. As it should be.

As for money earned oversea's. I know when I was in the Air Force I had to pay income taxes even though I was over seas. That was forty years ago so that may have changed. I didn't have to pay state but I did federal.
  11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

...in the sun & breeze of Copper Bank, Belize
    <blockquote><I>"Singapore was willing to pay 800K for a Gold Medal."</i></blockquote>Actually, Singapore will pay $1 million for a gold medal, $500K for a silver and $125K for a bronze: <I>Singapore National Olympic Council</I>

Keller
  12. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Interesting read on the cost of doing business. I'm sure the shooting sports cost even more. It's a rich DAD's game.
  13. DB Bill

DB Bill Member

The women's soccer team each get $25,ooo from the government PLUS the US Soccer Assn is giving them $1,500,000 to split between the player's, the alternates, the coach, asst coaches and the trainers. I understand the player's will decide on how it's split but doubt if it will be announced.
  14. mkstephen

mkstephen Member

Shorter URL above works.
  15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Imagine how much it would cost someone to pursue an Olympic dream for clay target shooting and compete on their own dime with no outside sponsorship or independent wealth.

Figure 50 rounds/week bare minimum to be competitive. Figure on about $7/round for targets, and another $7/round for ammo. $700/week, or $36400/year just for ammo and targets. Over 4 years (time b/w Olympics), $145600. The $25k they receive for a Gold is a pittance.

I would guess that the clay target sports are probably among the most, if not the most expensive sports to compete in at the world level.
  16. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I see the article about the training costs mention a $300 table tennis paddle and I laughed. The shooting sports are as you said the most expensive to train for.

You would literally need a full time job just to offset the cost of training.
  17. perazziuser

perazziuser Member

Heard somewhere that equestrian is the only Olympic event more expensive than shooting. I guess it could depend on how often your shotgun eats.....

Jeff Holguin
  18. Wesleyloh

Wesleyloh TS Member

Women

""Singapore was willing to pay 800K for a Gold Medal."

Actually, Singapore will pay $1 million for a gold medal, $500K for a silver and $125K for a bronze: Singapore National Olympic Council"

Hi there, it's actually S$1 million (~USD800k) for a gold minus a percentage cut (think it's about 20%) for the relevant sports association.

Wes
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.