1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Women's Olympic Trap Selection Match RESULTS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff P, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Ok, i'm not trying to steal Kerrville's thunder. Really.

But I just got off the phone with them and Corey Cogdell from Eagle River, Alaska is the winner of the women's matches. I haven't heard the final scores or the margin of victory...I just called down the to the range from Anchorage about 10 minutes ago and was told that she had "just" won.

There's a bunch of really happy and proud Alaskans right about now...

I don't know any other scores or results - nothing for the men's side - I only know that a gal I have personally shot with is going to Bejing.

I'm not sure it can get much better than that.

2. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Jeff, like yourself..I can also say I shot with a future Olympian. I'll be rooting for Corey all summer long!

Rick Brohmer

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Way to go, Corey!!!!! Bring home those medals! Everyone is proud of you.

The people that helped support her during her training are truly wonderful.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The results for men's an dwomen's trap singles are up on the USA Shooting website.

Kelsey Zauhar who posts here on trapshooters.com occasionally, finished 4th in women's. That's some excellent shooting Kelsey!

Derrick Mein of Kansas State University finished 7th in men's. Way to go Derrick!

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Yes... I was there. Cory ran away with it. Second was Joetta Dement of the Army team.

In the Mens... Bret Erickson ran away with it as well. The second spot was a fight between Dominic Grazoli of the Air Force and John Mullins. It was tied till Mullins missed the last bird to give the position to Dom. Our trap team will be Erickson, Grazioli and Cory. The Skeet and Double Trap selections begin Tomorrow.

TOM

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Tom,

Why do they choose two men's competitors but only one women's?

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

The ISSF the world wide governing body for all shooting are only given a finite number of quota slots for competitors. I recall its something like 390 athletes. The ISSF then divides them up between the various disciplines. Generally there are two men and one women per discipline although there are some men only events and some women only ones. For a country to send any athlete to shoot the Olympics they must win a quota slot which means winning a Gold medal in a World Cup at some point since the last Olympics.

This may not be the answer you are looking for but its the basic facts of the situation. The short ansewer is because its the rules...

Tom

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answer Tom

Nevertheless, it seems gender-biased.

Tim

9. kolar kda

kolar kda TS Member

i used to shoot alot with kelsey and corey, back when i was shooting, and i went to lindenwood with derrick for awhile. congrats to all three of the thats good shooting!

Kyle Atherton

10. tachyon

tachyon Member

Tim, until 1992 olympic skeet and trap did not have separate events for men and women.

Then in 1992, the unthinkable happened. A woman, Zhang Shan, from China won the gold in skeet. The first woman to win a gold in mixed competition at the games. Of course, the only response was to eliminate women from the competition and a "men only" rule was instituted for the olympic shotgun shooting competitions.

For the 1996 games women were only allowed to compete in a separate double trap event. The traditional trap and skeet events were men only. Kim Rhode from the United States won this initial women's double trap event.

Susan Nattras led the charge to get traditional olympic trap and skeet added to the women's venue for the 2000 olympics and she was successful. Of course to keep any possible score comparisons from complicating the issue the women's events were set at 75 targets while the men shoot 125. Sexism is alive and well in the IOC.

In 2000, the women competed in trap skeet and double trap. In 2004, Kim Rhode won the double trap gold again. 2004 was the last year for women to compete in double trap. For 2008 there will only be trap and skeet shotgun events for women. Kim holds the distinction of winning both the first and the last gold medal in this event.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation Bruce.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

tacyon is not entirely correct. The change from mixed events to separate ones was made prior to
    the 1992 Games. The outright win by the Chinese girl had nothing to do with the change. I do feel that the ISSF are a bunch of MCP's and if they had their way all shooting would be men
    only.

Tom

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

tacyon is not entirely correct. The change from mixed events to separate ones was made prior to
    the 1992 Games. The outright win by the Chinese girl had nothing to do with the change. I do feel that the ISSF are a bunch of MCP's and if they had their way all shooting would be men
    only.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.