1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Women Trapshooters Please Read

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by calilori, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

Hey Ladies, I'm writing an expository piece on being a female athlete in a male dominated sport and I need your help. I'm still really new in this sport, so I can write about being taken seriously and the reaction of both men and women, but I need more. If you have any stories, antecdotes, impressions, thoughts, or feelings on the subject, please email me ASAP. I'd like to get it all together by Friday morning at the very latest. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Lori

2. trapshooter1981682

trapshooter1981682 TS Member

Lori, i know this is for the women, but i want to give you my point of view from a male prospective. Go out there and give it your all. There are a lot of negative people in here, go out and make the best of it. I have all the respect for women shooters, it is a male dominated sport, but it always makes me smile to see a woman go out there and win. I have been shooting for a few years and i can say i have my bad days as well, just dont give up. Go out there to the line, relax, and have fun. A idea i always use to help myself is if i drop a target, i make myself laugh, dont get mad about it, cause that can hurt your scores even more. Go out there, and have fun.

3. lightfoot

lightfoot TS Member

Lori,

I don't have any personal information to share, but there was an Andy Griffith show episode that dealt with this very subject. Andy was unknowingly dating a lady that not only could shoot, but was a champion. Before Andy found out, they went crow shooting, and Andy would yell, “cover your ears”. :)

Talking about this episode would be a great introduction at the beginning of your article. If you can’t find any info on the episode, just post back and I’ll see what I can remember.

4. jennylin

jennylin Member

Lori,

I sent you an email.

Jen

5. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

Hi Lori:

I'm going to write a post separate from yours that you may feel free to copy and use. :) I'm doing that to enlighten some readers who may not open this thread. :)

Good luck!

Kim

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Kim ... Yeah I know ... I got male plumbing but I just couldn't help but opening and reading this thread just like every other male will do. I will almost guarantee that most every male will open and read this thread because it is asking for women to read it, we are just nosy that way ...

7. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

LOL....note to guys: Be Afraid! Be Very Afraid! (this post COULD have been about feminine protection products....)

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Well lumper is probably right!!

Lady KX-5, wouldn't be scared!LOL

Lori, since I'm now undergoing first_hand_experience, I think its great for women to excell in any sport and I_for_one definetly don't have any problem with it...

9. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Lori,

Prior to getting myself in deep Doo-Doo with all the women on this site, I’ll start by saying I love to have my wife and other women come out to shoot with us. In fact the best thing that ever happened to most of us is that our wives took up the sport. Prior to that trap shooting expenditures were looked at as frivolous. Although there are some drawbacks, I have to take care of and clean more guns. I have to load twice as many shells. I have to carry extra stuff when heading for the trap. I also have to keep two average cards. But all in all it’s worth it. But with that said I hate to burst your bubble but you referred to trap as a male dominated sport. I hope this is not a news flash, but unless you’re talking about figure skating all sports are male dominated. Sorry, it must be a testosterone thing.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Another male responding. From my perspective, when it comes to trapshooting, there are no women, juniors, chair shooters, vets, or any other group I am shooting against. We are just trapshooters. I realize that all of us have differences. Some are older than I am. Most are younger. Some shoot #8 shot and some use a release trigger. None of these things, including gender, make any difference to me.

Away from a trap club I will treat women as Ladies. At the club, they are shooters.

Pat Ireland

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Go out as one poster said and do your best .I will add to that post to go out and do your best and then go out the next day and do better. If you met or should I say when you met the guy who thinks that all women should be at home shoot his pants off him and let him know that you did. I like to have the women on the line. There is nothing wrong with it. I know some guys who will not shoot with women on the line. Others and I will always give them a hard time about it. Whats wrong afraid they will beat you HA HA HA HA. Wimp and so on. There is a pin out there that reads "BEAT BY A GIRL" you should find some and hand some out to those who need them. LOL

12. calilori

calilori TS Member

Thanks guys I'm getting a lot of good stuff in the email and even over the phone. I knew I could count on you!!! Lightfoot will you email me information on the Andy Griffeth episode. OneATatime I never considered the Annie Oakley thing, maybe I can work with that. Thanks guys. Please keep the suggestions and stories coming!

13. calilori

calilori TS Member

Away from a trap club I will treat women as Ladies. At the club, they are shooters.

Pat, Can I quote this line? I love absolutely love it!

14. trap4u2

trap4u2 Member

I have to agree with Mr. Ireland, it doesn't make a difference who you are, or what you are, we are all trap shooters, and play by the same rules, almost. I'm going to start something here, but I must preface something first. I think it is absolutely fantastic that women participate in this great sport. The more the merrier. I'm absolutely ecstatic when my wife shoots better than I do. But now the however, since this sport is not dominated by physical ability, but by mental ability, why do women get to start one yard closer in caps than men?. It should be the other way around since women tend to be smarter than men. JMHO. Joe B.

15. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Lori,

Again from the male perspective, SHOOT LIKE A GIRL, IF YOU CAN!!!!!!

We are blessed to have many ladies shoot at our club and it is a great addition to the sport. The largest growth in shooting sports are ladies and the young ones lead the pack. What great news for the sport.

My opinion only!! The kids and the ladies will be the savior of shooting so the more the better and the hairy legs might want to get on board and be happy for it.

Jack Burch
    HCSSC
    Kerrville, Texas

16. calilori

calilori TS Member

ttt....I want to have everything together by tomorrow morning.

17. ctb154

ctb154 TS Member

On the other hand, have we gone too far to get more women in this sport?? Every year Prince Georges County Trap and Skeet there is a tournament for women only. The only way a man can participate is if he is a part of a female-male team. Have the best of intentions inadvertently discriminated against males??? Face it, we seem not to have a problem with women only events, clubs and organization but would complain of discrimination if the men did the same. How can women expect to be seen as equals in this sport if they are given special privileges??? The targets don't care if its a woman or a man. So why should we?

For the record, I am an African American Male.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.