1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Women get different yardage?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yakimaman, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I joined ATA early this year and my son joined in mid-summer - ATA assigned us both 20yd hcp. My daughter-in-law joined a few weeks ago and she is assigned a hcp of 18. None of us had shot registered targets anywhere. Does ATA do this deliberately or did someone err?

Rich

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Rich,

You should really get you a current rules book from the ATA. They give them out for free. All sorts of neat stuff in there.

3. wlc

wlc Member

It's intentional.

4. grntitan

C. HANDICAP YARDAGE ASSIGNMENT

A shooter will be handicapped between 18 and 27 yards and at the highest yardage punched on his/her Average Card, unless he/she is required to shoot penalty yardage.

1. New lady shooter - new lady shooters will be assigned a handicap of 19.0 yards.

2. New sub-junior shooter - a new male shooter who has not reached his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 19.0 yards. A male shooter upon reaching his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 20.0 yards unless he has previously earned or been assigned greater yardage. (Note: If a male sub-junior has been reduced to the 18.0 yard line by the review process, upon reaching his 15th birthday he will remain at the 18.0 yard line until additional yardage is earned)

3. New male shooter - a new male shooter, 15 years of age or older, will be assigned a handicap of 20.0 yards.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

You can download the rules from the ATA site.

Don Verna

6. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

You're (I'm sorry, "your") missing Rich's point. In this era of presumed equality, why are there different yardages for the genders?

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

yakimaman:

Every year the ATA provides multiple copies of the rule book to clubs that throw registered birds. They are provided for distribution to shooters and are free for the asking. It comes in the form of a handy little pamphlet that will fit in your pocket or shooting bag. You should be able to get a copy from any such club you frequent. If not, you can request a copy from the ATA.

In the meantime, you can access the rules via the ATA website. From the ATA's home page, click on "About the ATA" then mash the rules/bylaw link. It's a pdf format.

As a new registered shooter, it's important to have a basic understanding of the rules. You don't need to be an authority on every single item. The 80/20 rule applies. About 80% of what you should know on a day to day basis is covered by about 20% of the book.

Shoot well and good luck.

sissy

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

No Indy, he answered Rich's specific question quite accurately.

You, on the other hand, offered your own spin on it.

9. grntitan

And BigM, it's William.

10. yakimaman

I will look it up from now on. Now, I'm going to duck out of grntitan's way.

11. grntitan

Sorry Yak. I should really watch out for bystanders when i start slinging bullets carelessly.

12. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Playing with form instead of substance doesn't excuse the issue, Perazzi.

13. running bear

running bear Member

Indy, Has to comment on every post with his own spin. He knows everything about the ATA.

Buck

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you think this rule implies that the ATA thinks women are inferior to men when it comes to handicap trap shooting? HMB

15. yakimaman

How does iT NOT make that implication?

RBM

16. grntitan

Guess none of you play golf where as the womens tee's are closer. Geez do you guys have to try and change everything?

Yak,

If your daughter'n'law wants to shoot back with you, they will gladly place her back there.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Most women can't hit a golf ball as far as a man can. That is why the tees are closer to the green. How does that relate to shooting a trap gun? HMB

18. yakimaman

One yard difference...... don't get it....sounds really archaic to me. She finally got her adjustable comb, worked at it a bit and if the way she was shooting today is any indication of things to come, my son and I are the ones who need the distance advantage. Smokin' em with her 90T.

RBM

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Most women don't have the same physical strength as a man either yet you seem to think they should be able to point and handle one the same. Thats how it relates to trapshooting

Is there anything hmb you don't complain about. Or maybe you like your women of the macho man variety...LOL

Bob Lawless

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Chivalry........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.