1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WOMAN SHOOTS SELF

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by foghorn220, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

REBEL

Fill us in when you find out the rest of the story of course it don't matter where it was for the anti gunners to have their say on it but it does look like there should had been some safety rules told from the way it sounds but maybe it was a freak accident.

fog

2. Harold

Harold TS Member

Woman accidentally wounded

Originally published April 8, 2007

An 18-year-old Marriottsville woman who was shooting clay pigeons accidentally wounded herself yesterday afternoon when she dropped a shotgun and it discharged, state police said.

Kelsey Marlee Allen was wounded in the lower right abdomen by the .410-gauge shotgun. She was flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center and underwent emergency surgery, police said.

She was listed last night in serious but stable condition.

Allen, who was shooting clay pigeons with friends at a farm in Carroll County, was hurt about 5 p.m., police said.

3. trap-pr

trap-pr Member

Harold,

Thanks for posting the information from the article. Are you, by chance, a barber?

4. Harold

Harold TS Member

Trap-pr

You're welcome, No, not a barber.

5. K-80 Jim

K-80 Jim TS Member

I also wish her a full and speedy recovery. maclellan1911 makes great point. How many clubs have emergency procedures in place and if so have they walked through them or practiced them? How many of you know the street address of you club? Cell phone are great and very handy but they won't tell the 911 operator where you are and most clubs aren't in the phone listings. How many know how to treat a person in shock or to control bleeding? Every club should have a trained Safety Officer no matter how small.

Here's a thought for you:

True or false?

Accidents are caused by conditions or behavior.

Every accident can be prevented.

Shoot well & safely,

Jim

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

On a PD hunt in SD I ran into a gentleman from Crown Point, Indiana who showed me a wound in his butt from a trapline accident years ago.

Another incident I believe involved an Illinois Senator on a skeet field, and an accidental discharge hitting a relative.

This is over a period of many years, I know they are not the only ones. But the point is that SUPERVISED shooting at real shooting ranges is one of the safest sports around.

Too bad the media can't use the word "unsupervised" when reporting these unfortunate happenings.

HM

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Which brings up another safety point. See the April 2007 Trap & Field magazine, page 78, "Quick Rules Fact"

"The practice of resting the muzzle of your shotgun on your toe, while not against the rules, can be inherently unsafe and is discouraged by the rules."

Don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot.

8. Jack Burch

Jack Burch TS Member

We made all our Peace Officers and Firefighters/EMTs life members of our club and they came out and trained our staff on emergency procedures and first aid. We have an automatic difibrulator and an emergency plan in place.

9. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I was watching some videos at youtube where some of them were shooting off from the back of trucks, a kid seen cocking a hand release trap while holding a shotgun on the other hand, pointing the gun real close to their feet, turning back to chat with their friends who were making the video. You watch these videos and notice a considerable number of these people are very careless in their gun handling, just watch the kid in the video and you will see what I mean.

Berettaman7

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Well one thing for sure, there will always be people who take offense if you call them n a saftey issue. It has happened to me a few times. If it "offends" them well tuff stuff! I'd rather they be offended(which shouldn't happen if they have good sense anyway), than somebody wind up injured or killed.

11. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

......must be empty closed or not when changing post. and when not on the line.

The only time a break upen gun should be closed is on the line waiting to shoot or in a gunrack. In the case of an auto or pump, open all the time unless you're getting ready to shoot and you are on the line. Unfortunately even with that said, a number of years ago a shooter closed his gun and racked it. As he racked it the gun went off as he accidently put a round in it rather than an empty hull. Fortunately it only blew a swath throught the tree branches above. And this was a very experienced trap shooter.

Safety is everyones job. If the person you advise on a safety issue takes offense, don't shoot with him/her and advise that range's safety officer. That's another point. Every range should have a designated safety officer.

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Mac Said
    "cover your ass by covering everyone elses. I have a quick one. i was shooting at a multi club shoot. singles. im on 4 man on 5. 5 shooter was placing 2 rounds in his gun O/U. after 2 shot told him that was not a good idear. i got the look, after his last shot he turned and went to post 1 with a loaded gun. now this shoot was useing guide lines ATA rules. I had told him that what he did is not safe against the rules and just stupid. the rules say there shall be nothing in the chamber live or not when changing post. This turned into a issue because who the hell am i im not even a member crap. thank god. well on the handicap leg of comp, some one else saw this hapening and he was removed from the line....not happy but think it was right. Im glad it was a fellow member that removed him. im not really sure of the rules or penalty for this is. but it just shouldnt happen regardless"
    What Mac SHOULD have done was raise holy hell, calmly,... force the squad to stop, call shoot management and get that ASShole that was endangering EVERYONES life off the line and out of the club if necessary. NEVER EVER be afraid to speak up if what you see being done is dangerous, there is a difference between annoying, as in poor ettiquette and just plain dangerous, poor ettiquette is fidgeting, talking etc. When a gun is loaded and is being handled in a way that can KILL someone, desparate measures should be taken. In this case, you could have simply asked the scorer to shut off the Trap, and ask the shooter to unload, then either discuss with him and the squad, or if he was not willing to discuss, then call for management and walk off the line. Do not let the line continue to shoot. You just might save someones life or legs! Maybe your own!

13. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Good point Frank C, if anybody argues when safety issues are pointed out that person should be scorted out of the club´s property.

As the kid replied to me, "just that damn good!, hope he is not sorry and one day may say something like "I was just too damn stupid"!

Berettaman7

14. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Very good point Frank. There are some who just don't know, and are happy to stop whatever they're doing unsafe when told. And then there are assholes like you mention. And yes the best thing you can do is stop shooting until the situation is corrected. And if the asshole has asshole friends that are fellow club members, that come and show you what assholes they are, then leave. Well that's what I do anyway.

=)

cls

15. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

The young girl is very lucky to be alive. Even a lowly .410 with birdshot is potentially lethal.

I read on some other boards, certain idiots over who think that birdshot will only make a shallow skin wound and is totally non lethal.

Does anyone remember the serial killers in Arizona last year? The ones who were driving up and shooting people at random? ......... Many of their killings were with a .410 shotgun.

I think safety training should be MANDATORY before owning any firearm.

16. smartass

smartass TS Member

"I think safety training should be MANDATORY before owning any firearm."

You betcha, that's just what we need- more damn gun laws. Nobody even knows what happened, but now more laws are needed. Bullshit.

17. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Safety training. Period. Competent gun handling. Every right has its RESPONSIBILITY.

Today, I still see idiots, who have been shooting the "wrong" way for years
    (because they come out to shoot once or twice a year then go hunting) Walk up
    to trap lines with loaded guns, mags full, wrong ammo (large shot sizes); waving muzzles around all over the place, changing stations with loaded guns, etc.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Some of the worst safety offenders I've seen are old Fudds. That they've gotten away for decades with their sloppy gun handling is remarkable. And it instills a false sense of security in them because they've "never had an accident". So they argue with you that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I would like to see some of them go in and take the final exam in a hunters safety class without taking the class first. I am fully confident that most of them would fail miserably.

19. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

The problem with that Ron is that an unloaded gun isn't of much use. One of the top three gun safety rules covers this for us though, allowing us to put "a shell in the chamber". That is to never point a gun in an unsafe direction. cls

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As one of the range officers for my home facility, I agree with much of what has been said above, but a bigger problem I see is the reticence of fellow shooters to correct "seen" bad behavior. Everyone wants to tell me their story, but when I ask what they did about it, the responses I get are typically - Hey! that's not my job...

As was said earlier, safety is every shooters job and if handled in a gentlemanly way, no one should take offense, but each shooter on the line should be encouraged and empowered to correct bad habits we encounter on the line, we'll all be safer for it.

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.