1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wolfs states

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by copper, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

I recieved email photo of a pack of 24 MT and was told story of bird dogs killed in other states ware they have been reintoduced anyone seeing them or signs . I think I would be carfull about taking my bird dogs to thick woods ware this is happening . What is going to control the number 24 wolfs need lot of food per day

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Through yesterday (December 13) Idaho reports 162 wolves killed this season, 157 by firearms, 5 by trapping.

When riding into camp for an elk hunt in October, we saw fresh wolf tracks in the snow. As a consequence the elk were much less vocal than the year before and were mostly staying in the thick timber. So far this fall that area has had 18 wolves taken out of the quota of 25. Hopefully the elk hunting next fall will be improved as a result.

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Washington state is becoming the NEXT battle ground for reintroduction of these pest.

The hippies, greenies think they are cool and that is why they want the taxpayers to foot the bill. I thought the federal government was out of money!

If you have wolves in your hunting area, it won't get better until their numbers are "gone"

A open season on wolves is the only rational solution to the problem created by ill educated individuals.

We've had cougar confrontations(cross country skiers) here where they want them reintroduced, wait until they(skiers)try to poke off a pack of wolves!! AIN'T going to happen!! Yum Yum skier for dinner!!

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The words "shoot, shovel and shut up" are appropriate when it comes to wolves, coyotes, mountain lions and other preditors that the nuts think are so cute.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am perplexed by Pocatello's statement that the Elk are heredin up in thick cover. Here in Idaho they usually go to the low open valleys so they can see and hear the wolves before being surprised. The reports I am getting right now is just that and also of very large wolf prints

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

The wolf problem in the Great Lakes Region is out of control. The UP of Michigan met it's quota 5 years ago. There are areas that are completly devoid of deer. In 5 more years there may not be a huntable population left. In my area the deer count [overall numbers] were down for the third year in a row. But the UP western deer manager would like you to beleive the herd was up the last two years 42% and 16% respectively. He is so clueless is not even funny anymore. No matter what the winter holds in the UP we will have less deer at the start of next years season.

GS

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'm hunting in the White Cloud mountains SW of Challis. The elevations range from 6500' to 11600' with the elk mainly between 7000' to 10000'. Cover ranges from alpine to sage, with forests mainly Douglas fir on the damper north slopes, some aspen, some lodgepole, and some Whitebark pine. Animals on open slopes can be spotted from several miles away. In fact that is mainly the way we hunt there - glassing for animals and moving in to get a shot when they come out to feed in the evenings. Years ago, before the wolf reintroduction, elk herds ranged from a few dozen to nearly one hundred, especially as winter approached. They could often be seen on open slopes morning and evening, and would be quite vocal, especially in the fall. The elk have adapted to wolves by staying in smaller groups, staying closer to cover or to civilization in the winter, and vocalizing less. The first wolf hunt in the area was in 2009, and between that and those wolves killed for livestock depredation, the population was knocked back quite a bit for 2010. We saw quite a few elk that fall, very little wolf sign, and heard a lot of bugling. I shot a nice 6x6 bull the first afternoon of the hunt. The wolf season was cancelled in 2010 by legal action, and there was a lot more wolf sign in the area this fall, including several sets of fresh tracks in the snow. What elk we did see were hanging close to timber pockets, only showed early morning and late evening, and we only heard one bugle all week. I shot a raghorn bull after five days of hunting.

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I agree with MR. GALT!!! SHHHHHHH

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I bird hunt every week. I carry slugs and buckshot to protect me and my dog.

10. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Yes they can balance on the next ranch or out in a watermelon field. Just not on mine...

11. copper

copper Member

Well the bird dog and hound issue I was told by a bird hunter that three guy were out and they knew a wolf was coming after there bird dog and 30 feet from them it rush in ripped the dogs throat out and was gone before they could raise there guns. Now I had read some thing simular and was wondering if there was any truth then was told this. I don,t know if I would go in wolf era now hunting birds with dogs. Dave

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago I saw three young coyotes running through my neighborhood in Southern Ill. They were damned near as big as wolves. I live adjacent to a state university, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsvillle ( the school has acres and acres of protected woods and fields ), where the deer population has gotten out of control.

Sooner or later the wild dogs will take a pet.

13. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Shoot shovel, shut up, seems appropriate for 2 legged predators also? just a defensive question?

14. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Rick,

The Wolf population is just fine. Why do you think the Canadians sold them to US.

They seen a cash cow and took advantage of it!!

They won't go extinction, as long as there is game and man walking on this planet.

The wolves that are destroying the deer hunting I enjoy are just coming across the Canadian border(no game fence,Bush's fault ha ha). The place they want to reintroduce them into is farther south and at the foot of the Cascade Mt. range.

Only in the good ole US is there a problem, in Canada you can shoot them all you want to, except out of airplanes.

15. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

Wolves are devastating the elk herds here in SW montana and fish & game dept. says the elk are doing ok which is BS. we had 800 left over non reident tags this year for the first time.I was archery elk hunting last year and saw a pack of 7 black wolves up close and that was a cool experience but they need to be thined out big time.

16. copper

copper Member

The picture I was sent 24 wolfs in a pack thats a lot of meat needed

17. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

We have Wolf Haven in Western Washington. Look at the site for wolf stats.

I suppose the Grizly bear will be next.

18. ROGER A.

ROGER A. TS Member

Mr. Rick Barker

If you live out West then i'm sorry but you are on the wrong side of the fence,
    but if you do not live in idaho, Montana, Wyoming, East OR. or North & East Washington..........you have no clue what the wolves have done and are doing
    to Elk, Deer, sheep and cattle. (Griz are not much better)

see'em shoot'em and move on

Roger in S.E. Idaho

19. jwells

jwells Member

i hunted in the western up this fall. didnt see any wolves but did see tracks. locals claim it has the largest population in the state. didnt see many deer either

20. copper

copper Member

I think the big difference now is there were trappers for fur that real was the control factor that is all but gone as with Coyotes same now we are seeing these in towns and populated era,s there is nothing that preys on them what will control there numbers things are not as they were you can,t re introduce to some thing that now missing a control factor. They at some point will starve or get sick or move in and eat pets all of the above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.