1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WOLF PRIMERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GRR, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRR

GRR TS Member

I have read on this site about Wolf primers with good results. Now having problems finding Winchester or Federal primers I decided to try Wolf.

I bought 10,000 and loaded 5000, but to my surprise I had 7 failures in the first 1000 shot. The first was low noise with the wad just clearing the barrel. I thought it was low powder but when examining the barrel it was full of unburnt powder. This happened 3 more time and each time it was LOST TARGET. Oh by the way twice was scored 99 with a dud. That meant lost lewis and purse money. The next 2 were dented primer and no bang. The last one was a click as the hammer hit the firing pin and a half second later it went puff and pushed the wad out and the barrel full of powder. That delay was very scary, so you must not open the action for at least 30 seconds. Years ago in marksmanship school they told us to wait 1 full minute for a hang fire.

I have learned a very expensive lesson on cheap primers, at least WOLF. I will stay with Winchester or Federal, shot over 200,000 with not one malfunction.

G. Reynolds

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Try cheddite primers. Load them just like winchesters. I have shot over 15,000 and not one misfire. Good primers.

3. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Hey Guys

How do CCI primers compare as to quality and reliability to the Winchester and Federal primers.

thanks
    lee

4. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I have no problems with the Wolf primers other than trying to find more.

Matt Krizinski

5. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I had a few "issues" with Wolf primers. It was a chilly day and I used PB powder. A few went off kinda lite. I have had no problem so far with nice days and 700X powder. I still like them.

Mike

6. johnpe

johnpe Member

I have read a number of threads of good result with Cheddite primers. With that assurance, I bought a bunch and have been trying to load them up to get rid of them as fast as I can. I have had problems loading any hull with them that has a steel head. The Cheddite primers I have are definitely larger just ahead of the flange by 0.002 inches than the Remingtons and Winchesters I have on hand. This has caused a few primers to not quite fully seat even with tool adjustments. Tools are MEC Grabbers in subgauges and an RCBS Grand in 12 gauge. The high primers cushion the firing pin blow and I get a dud with a small dimple where the firing pin struck. The second try usually fires the shell. Hulls with true brass heads like Winchester AA and Remington STS/Nitro 27 load and fire just fine with the Cheddite primers. Obviously, I'm loading steel headed hulls like the Remington field hulls with the Winchester/Remington primers and the target grade hulls with Cheddites to minimize the misfires.

Johnpe

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

GRR,

The main mistake was loading shells for competition with unknown variables like a different primer. I test what I intend to shoot when the money is on the line. I'll even put them in the freezer and run them over a chronograph to see how they would perform in colder weather. For some really odd reason I keep going back to the name brand primers like Winchester, Remington, and Federal AND I adjust the loads accordingly. I'll use CCI as well, especially the 209M. Cheddites have never done that poorly either. The Fiocchis were dismal in colder weather with many loads, so I don't bother with them.

I don't use Wolf primers, since they don't seem to have ANY data to go by. Not even a hint at how they might compare with pressures. I've heard a lot of negatives for performance, but it seems the vast majority of people are happy enough with them.

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I know not about shotgun primers but when there are no small rifle primers and there are plenty of wolfe you have to figure they are junk. I have shot a few pistol rounds and won't do it again.

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I will take ALL your Wolf 209s! I'll give you $125/5000 shipped to 93614.

AndyH ;-)

10. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Have shot around 10K wolfs(PMC). 1 misfire. Have 40K and looking for more. I shoot them in registered with NO problems.

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I too have used Wolf in about 8000 round, have approx. 22K left. I've experienced only one or two misfires and those went off on the second try. I've had more than that with new Gun Clubs and Top Guns. I prefer Fiocchi but will use Wolf when I can find them.

12. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I've loaded 10,000 Wolf 209s with only one misfire. Hell I can't blame the primer, I think the base of the shell was actually bent (concave) and the pin did not ignite the primer. It did on the second shot.

Just bought a brick of Winchesters since I couldn't get Wolfs. I sure would like to have the extra $50 bucks in my pocket.

I will stock-up if I find them again.

SW

13. missemucho

missemucho Member

I've loaded about 15k of them so far with no problems attributable to the primers
    (My shooting is a different story)! This includes winter months with temps in the 20's & 30's.
    John

14. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

We have at least 10 individuals at our club reloading all gauges using Wolf primers. If the reloader is functioning properly, and the firing pins are striking the primers crisply, there have been NO fail-to-fire incidents. There have been a couple of occasions when the upper barrel did not fire, but this has been attributed to weak firing pins. These primers are definitely much harder than Winchester or Remington primers, but I don't think it's fair to place the blame entirely on the Wolf product when one's equipment may part of the problem. If your gun's firing pin doesn't always hit the primer crisply, you're probably better off going to a softer primer. As mentioned by some of the posts here, I would buy as many of these primers as I could, if only they were available. That goes for the rest of the shooters at my club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.