1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WOLF PRIMERS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by j2jake, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Anyone using these primers? If so are they equal to Cheddite? Thanks, Jake

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have been trying for months to get info, wolf emailed me back with no data for shotshell primers???? Have not heard from hodgdon yet???

3. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

From what I can gather the wolf is exactly the same primer as the not currently imported PMC with both being russian in manufactor. I have ran through 10-15K of the PMC`s and liked them enough to buy 40K more. I have had one FTF. They chrono in line with winchesters in FPS and seem as consistant to me as winchesters. I`d rate them just a touch cooler than winchesters from my chrono readings on 410`s. Somewhere a lab did some testing and found the PMC to be slightly more consistant than the WW and as I mentioned just a touch cooler. I think I`m going to get 15-20K more next time I order. To me they`re better than fiocchi`s because they still have a copper center and are easier on firing pins. They also have NO problems being swirched around in different hulls and do not enlarge the primer holes. Hope this helps.

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

An interesting bit of info from the Wikipedia:

"Wolf Ammunition is a Russian clearinghouse company that sells ammunition produced in former state-owned (USSR) factories. The company is known for providing decent quality ammunition at extremely low prices."

Being a clearinghouse for a variety of producers rather than a manufacturer may explain the lack of data. If the product is inconsistent in performance or if the specifications change regularly it's impractical to try to publish data about it.

Morgan

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

How much are the wolf primers per 5000?

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

$97.50 per 5000 at Powder Valley. Jake

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Are you sure they are not the same as RIO's?

Dr.longshot

8. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I would bet Wolf primers are Rio's. But the one poster said they won't enlarge the pocket.

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Rios are Spanish. Wolf sells Russian.

Morgan

10. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Wolf is Russian correct. But... they use a Cheddite hull that is not Russian, they use the same wad too.

I don't think wolf has their own machinery to make primers, they buy them and use them under their own name.

My guess.

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"I don't think wolf has their own machinery to make primers, they buy them and use them under their own name.

My guess.

See above. They are a marketer of Russian ammunition production for a number of factories that produced ammunition for their military previously.

Morgan

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rio shells are manufactured in Spain by a company that produces several other brands of ammunition. The manufacturer assembles components purchased from many different sources. Some Wolf components could easily show up in these shells.

Pat Ireland

13. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Bought a bunch (40,000) of these for $700 a while back, and have had very good results. Only one FTF and one "fluffer". Not sure what caused the fluffer. Measure the same as Cheddites, so they don't enlarge primer holes. With my 20.5 Green Dot loads, I do notice a bit more of a crisper report, but recoil feels the same. Overall I'd say I'm happy with them as they are a great value!
    AndyH

14. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Andy44
    Where did you purchase the primers for that price? I would buy 50,000 if I could find a source. I bought 50,000 F616 primers but they are all gone and I can't find RIO primers any longer either. FD

15. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

If yor are looking for wolf primers Wideners.com carries wolf primers thay say thay have a 100 sleves on hand and are $98.00 a sleve.

16. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

FarmerD-

Got them at a "special" price last summer from a CA distributor. Their price is $21.39/1000 now. I picked them up to avoid the HazMat.

AndyH

17. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Thanks Andy. FD

18. DocJim

DocJim Member

19. GunCSI

GunCSI TS Member

I tried a couple hundred each of small pistol, large pistol and the 209's and have had no problems at all. I shot the 209's in one of my Benelli's and the depth of the indentation on the primer was not as deep as on a Rem. primer so I got the impression they might be a bit harder but I had no reliability issues. The pistol primers run through the Dillon loader with no issues and if you open a box and look at them, they look to have better quality than the current Winchesters I've been using. I plan to keep using them.

20. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

If you look closely at the WW and Wolf/PMC notice the wolf is somewhat flat where a WW had a bubble type design giving it a slight advantage as to making contact with the fiting pin. I`ve had no problems with the pmc/wolf except when I had a K80 and its tubes got very loose which allowed them to sink to far into the barrel. I do have to admit the WW`s would still fire though. I`ve since returned it to briley had it tightened up and have had NO problems at all. I`d consider this more of a gun issue than primer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.