1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wolf primers - use with any success???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sharktown, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharktown

sharktown Member

Has anybody used Wolf primers and are they good for typical trap reloads? They are cheaper than most other brands. Are they worth the expense or should I stay away from them?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sharktown

2. sixten38

sixten38 Member

I have used them for roughly 2000 loads, I have not had any (none) problems with them. I am not pushing any envelopes for speed mostly 12ga 3/4 to 1 ounce loads at 1200 fps. Wolf has given no published loading data which is scary, I have used Win209 recipes. Good luck.

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Do a search rather than ask.....LOT'S of info available! ;-)

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wolf makes good stuff. They took over PMC primers. HMB

5. missemucho

missemucho Member

I just bought 10,000 of them from Recob; at the price I was willing to try them. So far no problems--I use middle loads of Clays and International. From my limited unscientific observation I would say they are a little hotter than the Cheddites I was using before. If you're interested, I'd advise stocking up on them--when something new hits it's usually cheap until everyone finds out about it, then the price goes up. Cheddites are an example; used to cost about what the Wolf primers do now. After Rem & Win went sky high the Cheddites are being priced in their old niche (around $125 for 5,000).
    John

6. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I have heard that they are more on the mild side. Hope they are like the Remingtons that I had been using.

7. sharktown

sharktown Member

Thanks for the feedback.
    I use STS primers and Clays powder in Rem hulls - would the Wolf primers be a compatible substitute for the STS primers?

Guy

8. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

I have loaded and shot 2000 of them in STS hulls with 17 grains of Clays, WA12SL wads and 1 oz. Don't know the pressure, but I am not loading anywhere close to max. If you are planning on max loads you might want to have some checked for pressure. In my loads I have had no issues.

Darrel

9. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I hope all of that red colored sealant covering the flash hole is virtually inert, and doesn't build up in the hull or bore.

10. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I called Hodgden and they said that they have not done any testing with them.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There is very limited data, if any, available for these primers. Treat them as the hottest primer listed with your components and get some tested for pressure. Stay away from any loads that are anywhere near the top. They will go bang, light the fire, send the shot downrange, and do the job for you at less cost. Are they safe and consistent? There's no data out there to tell for sure. If you save $50 per 5000, spend half the savings from one sleeve and get some tested for velocity and pressure.

12. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Used them with Green Dot, Titewad, and Clays so far, with zero issues.

Since Fiocchis have gone up I'm going to buy another 10K of the Wolfs.

Jim

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

They do not expand primer pockets. Same size as win 209 with a mic. My son and I have shot 10,000 fo them not one bad one so far. Peform better than the Fiocci's in cold weather also. Bill

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Any dealers on the east coast or new England even better Massachusetts. Wolf primers seem to be a west of the Mississippi rumor. Even the dealers here that sell wolf ammunition cant or wont get these????

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Powder Valley has Wolf 209s for $98/5000. I believe you can only ship 15,000 under 1 HazMat, as weight is the controlling factor. I use Wolf and Cheddite primers exclusively for A-A and STS type hulls, and have near perfect results with them. (Maybe 2 no-fires in over 20,000 rounds.) I still have a few Federal 209s that I use for my Gold Medal hulls, but with current primer prices, I'll stay with Wolfs. HTH AndyH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.