1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wolf Primer Comparative

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by loophole, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

What would you use as comparable for a wolf primer in setting up a reload?

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

none. No data available for these primers.

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I loaded up 25 and mixed them with Cheddite loads of same everything else. I didn't look at the primer until after I shot it and I felt the Wolf was just a tad hotter, not enough for me to change my load.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

My pressure readings showed Wolf and Cheddites to be very close on mid-pressure loads. Slightly warmer than Win or Rem, but not as hot as Feds. Stay with mid-pressure loads 8~9K psi and use 'em. Never had a problem with Wolfs.

AndyH

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

320090T

You can determine pressure by feel and appearance of a shotshell primer? If you really believe that, then you are a fool. It's exactly that kind of misinformation that can be the basis of a catastophe.

6. 320090T

A 2¾ dram same shell loaded with any available 209 primer is not going to create a "catastrophe", however a 3¾ 1½ load would be a different story.

7. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

20 grs. GreenDot, Fed GM hull, Fed 209, DRF3 wad, average 1200FPS
    Same load but Wolf primers, as low as 1030 FPS, average less than 1100 FPS.

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

320090T said:

"You can determine pressure by feel and appearance of a shotshell primer? If you really believe that, then you are a fool. It's exactly that kind of misinformation that can be the basis of a catastophe."

Jon asked:

"Has anyone crono'd the Wolf primer against the same load using a Win or Rem primer.

If it's hotter you should see a measurable difference don't you think?"

As I said in my first post, my READINGS (Oehler Mod 43) showed little difference in mid-pressure loads. Feds will be hotter than Wolfs and Cheddites, and Win or Rems a bit less. I do NOT know about high-pressure loadings as I don't go there, and would NOT advise them!

Now, did I clear that up for you?

9. 320090T

Yes, I could "feel" a bit more recoil, not much, but some, and I am not a fool.

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Sorry 320090T, it was a Quack Shot quote, not yours.

Flattened primers almost always signify high pressure, but not HOW high. If you have them, then you ought to re-think your load recipe or back off. HTH - AndyH

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

My secret is to do a vulcan mind meld with a box of shells and I can tell you the pressure and velocity without firing a shot! My built in recoilometer will tell me everything upon firing the shells. Little voices tell me that you can just load whatever components you want, without worrying about pressure, as long as your recoilometer is working! We used to get recoilometers in Cracker Jack boxes. If that doesn't work, you can use the smell of the fired shell as a guide? :) Any more questions? SHEEEEESSH!

I'll stand by my original statement. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

12. 320090T

Give me a recipe for a 2¾ dram load with a WW primer that I can put a CCI in that will end up with catastrophic results.

13. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Wait!!! What's that smell? Must be coming from a vulcan mind meld! :)

14. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Wolf primers gave 15 fps velocity gain over Nobel's, and 25 fps gain over Rio's in my chronographing with the other components identical ..

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I think Quack Quack has snapped like a dry twig on an autumn day. HMB

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

320090T

Why are you asking for data on a CCI primer when the question was about Wolf primers, for which there is little or no published data? Does THAT make sense? Check back with me when you understand the nature of firearms failures due to overpressure loads.

MIA

You'd think that PB should have a better smell, considering the cost! PB is missing a touch of Nitro for my preferences.

hmb

You are exactly right. Snapped just like a dedicated Obabmabot. I think it's really stupid to be cautious when working with unknown pressures, don't you?

Andy44

Wow, you'd think a little sarcasm would have been recognized for what it was?

Guys, there are some people that are just too stupid to live, yet they still survive. Take a look at what HP White labs has published about firearms failures and get back to me when you understand it. Then spend a little time talking to a few of their engineers and lab personnel about it. I'm sure you might have a different outlook afterwords, otherwise, my first statement would probably be more true.

http://www.hpwhite.com/index.html

http://www.hpwhite.com/download.htm

http://www.hpwhite.com/100-00.pdf

http://www.hpwhite.com/101-00.pdf

http://www.hpwhite.com/103-00.pdf

17. highrib

highrib Member

Who are some suppliers for these primers and what are you currently paying?

Billy Wood

18. highrib

highrib Member

Who are some suppliers for these primers and what are you currently paying?

Billy Wood

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

gmag

Been there. They have no data to offer. They said to just substitute them for another "Brand Name" primer. I asked what they based that on, if there was no data available. No good answer.

20. oletymer

oletymer Member

I have to go with Quack on this one. If you believe you can chrono or feel the pressure difference you are very foolish. The feel and chrono readings don't tell you squat about peak pressures. If a component supplier is too cheap to suppy data and the powder suppliers don't test then you should stay away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.