1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Wolf Delisting

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Wyoming Sportsmen for Fish & Wildlife

Mission Statement: To promote the protection and enhancement of wildlife habitat, the quality of wildlife management programs, and America's family heritage of hunting, fishing, and trapping.

The following is from Don Peay:

We went into D Day this week with 50 Co-sponsors of the Delist wolves from the ESA, I bet there will be more than 100 by noon today.

The BOLD and GUTSY move by Montana Governor Brian Sweitzer who told his fish and game personnel to kill packs of wolves to protect elk herds, to kill the entire pack of wolves if they kill one cow or sheep, and told Game and Fish Personnel NOT to prosecute any landowner from shooting wolves on private property has sent a SHOCK WAVE through Congress - we had already pounded them for two solid days.

So, Victory on this issue is imminent. We must stay focused and win a few more battles, and not relent until final and complete victory is achieved.

Congress must act by Friday night on a Continuing Resolution (CR) by this Friday or the Government Shuts down.

Senator Hatch and Barrasso and Congressman Rheberg, Chaffetz, Bishop, Matheson, Ross, and Congresswoman Lumis had anchored a great position, and had some strong support by Senators Crapo, Risch, Lee, McCain and Kyle.

So, stay tuned.

US Senator Orrin Hatch has been a complete STUD on this issue. Ryan Benson is still in DC working to make sure we get the exact right language in the final bill on wolf delisting, which could be signed by the President within 48 hours.

Ted Lyon, our top tier Texas Trial Attorney put together a very interesting meeting Tuesday night with one of Leader Reid and the Entire Democratic Senate's Senior advisors.

I called some friends after that meeting and told them, we won. Sweitzer's bold move, without a doubt will sealed the deal

So, it has been a long road.

Ted Lyon said it best today in DC, "This is a Roosevelt Moment"

Stay tuned.

Thanks to the tens of thousands who really dug in and helped deliver a monumental victory for Conservation.

Ryan Benson and I have been keeping some notes, we are going to write a book about this, if nothing else, It might become a Harvard case study about how to do what most say can't be done. It will be a fascinating read for all who love wild places and wild things.

In a few hours I have breakfast with Fmr Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. I spent a couple fun days in December hunting elk with him in Western Montana, it will interesting to see what he thinks about this bold move in leadership.

Don Peay

The following is from Bob Wharff:

Dear Members,

I just wanted to let you know that Matt Lumley and I were able to meet with Senator Enzi and Barrasso on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 while in Washington, D.C. attending a National Wolf Delisting Meeting. We thanked them for the efforts and support of H.R.509 and S.249. After meeting with them in the morning, we attended the National Wolf Delisting meeting hosted by U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and several other Congressmen. Representative Lummis and Senator Barrasso were also able to attend the meeting. Ryan Benson reports that a tidal-wave is building for support of this effort, with 50 Congressmen signed on to sponsor these bills. Don Peay told Matt that he is optimistic that we will see something happening very soon. With today's developments in Montana,( >http://billingsgaze tte.com/news/ state-andregiona l/montana/ article_990c41b4 -3a20-11e0- 8b81-001cc4c0328 6.html ) it is starting to appear as though others are starting to understand that something needs to happen and happen soon.

Tomorrow morning, Matt and I will be meeting with Representative Lummis. We are hopeful that we can get some names of potential Congressmen that Rep. Lummis may be able to talk with about joining our efforts from states which are currently absent but whom Matt believes we can swing.

Matt was also able, through some of his connections, to get a Fox News crew to interview many of the key speakers and representatives from several diverse conservation groups united behind Congressional Action to remedy the wolf debacle. Hopefully, we can get some high level exposure as well as some video clips that we can use to get our message out more broadly and in a positive manner.

An interesting statement from David Allen of the RMEF. He stated that the RMEF will not allow Wyoming to be thrown under the bus. The elk foundation has definitely made some significant movements and I would suggest that those individuals which desire to contact the RMEF and express appreciation for their efforts in this effort.

Thanks again for all of your efforts and support. I truly believe we are going to deliver on this when many have given up. I hope that you can express my appreciation to our members from your respective communities. Without all of their hard, volunteer efforts and labor, I would not be able to be here fighting this critical battle in their behalf.

Respectfully submitted,

Robert A. Wharff<br>
    Executive Director<br>
    WY SFW<br>
    National Wolf Delisting
  2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Way to go!!..its about time
  3. Brian in Oregon

I'm thinking 243 for my new wolf gun?
  4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its a great day for wildlife!!!

Why to go Montana!!

Sad to say Washington state doesn't have the backbone in Olympia to do whats right!!
  5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The entire wolf thing is a look into the black hole mind of the leftist. Only an animal rights whack job could look at what wolves do to wildlife, and the bloody way they do it, and call it a good thing.

The darkened mind of the leftist is often revealed by their being on both sides of an issue at the same time. In this case they are FOR animal protection rights while being FOR the right of one bloody, violent species to not merely prey, as a raptor preys for food, but to decimate major species. The fact that the wolf does major damage to both ranchers and hunters is merely a coincidence I'm sure.
  6. smsnyder

smsnyder Active Member

One leftist suggest birth control for wolves. A rancher said son there not having sex with our sheep there eating our sheep.
  7. EE

EE Moderator Staff Member

Great news. Now if we could just get hawks delisted.

BTW, Brian, I'd go with a .260 Remington.
  8. Brian in Oregon

It's not a lack of common sense. It's adjusting their scientific studies to arrive at a predetermined outcome.
  9. dward

dward TS Member

I live and hunt in Minnesota and go hunting to Idaho every fall to hunt elk, so I know well what wolves have done. What everyone needs to realize is that the wolves are the most effective tool the anti's have to eliminate hunting. Once the wolves wipe out herds, tags/hunting opportunities are reduced and when game numbers fall to low enough numbers, seasons will eventually be closed.

I just wish our midwest tree hugging politicians would grow the cajones their western counterparts are demonstrating.

SSS - Dan
  10. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Hopefully this will end the legal fee gravy train that the animal rights industy's lawyers were milking for millions of our tax dollars under the so-called Equal Access to Justice Act. Like whales and seals, the Rocky Mountain wolves are nothing but a cash cow to be milked for every cent possible.

As an aside, a few years ago (2009) an aquaintance was telling me about an elk hunting trip he had taken to Idaho. One thing he said that was made clear by all the locals was if he saw a wolf he was to shoot it, protection be damned. He told me that while he never saw one the impact on the elk herd was obvious.
  11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

12. Donm

Donm Member

Rpeerless. You hit it on the head. Comon sense and government should never be used in the same sentence. When was the last time you heard anyone accuse a government official of using common sense.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.