1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wolf/Coyote Drives??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I remember, many years ago, when mid-western states would have these organized drives. Every farmer in the area would bring their guns and head out. Is this still going on?

B Blue

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in Kansas. We had them quite often during the winter months. Called them round-ups. All would surround a section and walk towards the center. Shot coyotes and jackrabbits. Sold the rabbits to a mink farm and at that time there was a bounty on the coyotes'ears. Fun, but it's a wonder somebody didn't get shot. Only shotguns allowed, but that buckshot sure did whine coming off of the frozen ground. Haven't heard of any around for quite some time.Most hunting now done with radios and PU's. Steve

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

There aren't any going on in central KS anymore. I get together with some ole farm boys and we run them some in the winter but not the ole style drives. AATrap is correct in they were extremely dangerous when getting the circle closed. I also as he, never knew of someone getting hurt.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

They were fun. Surround two sections in the morning. Then a local farm Church would serve lunch as a fund raiser. In the afternoon we would do two 4 section drives. We had about 200 people by then. Nobody was hurt with the exception of around 200 Coyotes. When the circle got really close, the Coyotes had all run out and the shooting stopped. Safe gun handling was common is SE Kansas in 1962.

Pat Ireland

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Hi, Martin, How you been? Ready for some nice weather so we can do some shooting? I did make one trip out to Rexford and shot a few birds. Sure was a lot more cover around there this yr. Will see you at a shoot somewhere.

Pat, what the heck were you doing in SE KS in 1962? That's about one of the last times I was on a round-up in north central KS. Steve

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

My dad had a cousin that used to live out on the salt flats. He bred two types of dogs. One was Greyhounds. The other was a pit bull and aerdale mix. He two dog boxes on the front of his truck...one for each kind of dog. The boxes were controlled electronically. When they were driving and saw a coyote he would turn loose the greyhounds which would run the coyotes down. Then he would drive up on the catch and let loose the aerdale/pit bulls which would kill the coyotes. I think there are psycho groups that are against this now...what a bunch of retards.

Forrest

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Forrest, that kind of hunting still goes on and a friend of mine does alot of it. The drives that we, Pat, AAtrap, Booger and myself are explained above. They didn't involve any dogs that I can remember.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Steve- In 1962, I finally graduated from Pittsburg High School (SE Kansas). I left Kansas then and went to Oklahoma. Grass was thinner in Oklahoma but land was cheaper. I found a College in OK that would let me in. Next came Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia and finally Virginia.

Pat Ireland

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Used to go pheasant and quail hunting in Barnard, Kansas every year. Would see coyotes frequently. Sometimes we would chase them in a jeep at nights after a few too many.

10. 1oz

1oz Member

Hunting with the greyhounds still take place can be exciting running 50 60 mph cross open land trying to catch up

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

Up here in Alaska they are hunted from a SuperCub with one person flying and the other shooting a shotgun with 00 buck.

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Pat, that's interesting. We do have one thing in common. We both graduated from a H.S. in KS in 1962.

You must have missed that one goeography class where they talked about the shortest route from KS to VA.lol

I have been through Pittsburg several times. Always wanted to fish some of the strip pits in the area for bass, but was always headed for Grand Lake O'the Cherokees' to fish a bass tournament.

If you ever make it back to KS to shoot, let me know. Or to NE.

Good shooting and have a Happy Easter

Steve Elliott

13. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I, too, spent some years in Pittsburg (off and on) during my lifetime. One thing I remember well was, when I was very young, watching the Browns play baseball. Another good memory is the time I spent visiting Chicken Annie's.

B Blue

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

otnot, Kiner claims 2's are better out of a plane. Have you tried them? I always liked 4 buck.

AAtrap, doing well, just tired of the cold :)

15. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Kansas, Class of 62, great times.

Chicken Anne's was good but we had the Brookville Hotel, nothing better. GOOD LUCK

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Shady Creek, where did you graduate from?

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What if a feral cat would get corralled into this round up?? You would let it go, right??

Tron

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tron, actually feral cats are caught in live traps the prior weeks before the roundup and staked out in the sections the day prior to so as to bring the doggies in. Amazing how far away a whinning kitty will bring em!

19. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

High School in Salina. Still have family there. GOOD LUCK

20. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Martin, I just read your post to Kitty and he got very upset. I tried to explain to him that it's just the way that you back-woods hillbillies joke around, but I don't think he's cool with that. Maybe you should apologize to him??? I think so.

Tron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.