1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wobble Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by I WON, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I WON

I WON TS Member

Should Wobble Trap become a registered event ?

2. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

3. I WON

I WON TS Member

Thanks for responding Ralph1100.

I agree with you.

Maybe have a whole event dedicated to just Wobble Trap from the 16 to the 27 and have Wobble Doubles as well. This would ignite Trap Shooting in my opinion.

Need more input................

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Back in the late 1970s/early 1980s the Grand included 100 wobble targets. More recently the ATA tried to initiate handicap doubles. Both events died a quiet death due to lack of shooter interest.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy shooting wobble a lot, and would love a chance to shoot bunker, but if you think wobble will "ignite" registered shooting, long experience has shown you are wrong.

5. I WON

I WON TS Member

You might be right Pocatella.

I could see where Dbl. Hdcp. would not be interesting.

Wobble single 16's, Wobble single Hdcp. and Wobble Dbls. from the 16 yd. line, all 3 are challenging and very fun. I know the old saying " You Can't Teach Old Dog's New Tricks" is almost true. This would revitalize some Old Dog's(no pun intended) but more importantly the New Dog's. This would appeal to the younger shooter and I don't mean teenager's. It would also offer another option for the shooter and for the Club as well.

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

It is a registered event but not with the ATA (Wimpy's Wobbles).

It might be interesting to see how trapshooters would fair shooting wobbles with single shot.

7. I WON

I WON TS Member

The thread "What is Wrong with Our Handicap System?" in "my" opinion hits the nail on the head. The enthusiasm is goooone. I believe Wobble will increase the difficulty and make it challenging, again.

8. I WON

I WON TS Member

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Most shooters want good scores. They care little for target difficulty.

As one of nine original NSCA Certified Target Setters, I was taught to set targets soft. My old home club had outrageous targets set by a Natl' Champion. The targets were HARD and DIFFICULT. The club lost so much money on the sporting course they considered closing it.

We started setting the course soft, and SAFE. We soon set all time records for casual targets thrown. Average shooters were getting good scores, and coming back! The Master class shooters left in a huff. NOBODY MISSED THEM. They did NOT support the club. Joe Average Shooter supports the club. You know him, he is the guy that likes lollipops. He also brings friends that like lollipops. These folks spend a lot of money on lollipops, which keeps the club open. ANY QUESTIONS?

My favorite game is Intl' Bunker. It is harder than ATA will ever be. We do not have many shooters. Is that a hint?

Throw targets that will keep your members happy and coming back. PERIOD.

10. I WON

I WON TS Member

I think you summed it up....and that is why ATA will not change, is this a Hint?
    Bunker is much harder, I really enjoy it and wish I could shoot it more often. The availabilty of a bunker is not as easy to come by as ATA trap, it would give an option to shooters that didn't have the opportunity to a bunker more of a challenge by having Wobble as an option than the ATA game. It is not mandatory at an ATA shoot to shoot every event so if, Wobble was an event and one didn't want to shoot don't. I believe it would be a money maker for the ATA if it becomes an option at a registered event.

Thank you very much for your input Coach.

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

My wife and I go to a small, private club and shoot on Thanksgiving day while the turkey is roasting. It has become an annual tradition for us. This year we shot wobble trap from the 16 yard line, "protection" style. My honey absolutely loved it! She tends to have a short attention span, so ATA type trap bores her a little. I think any game that attracts novice shooters is a good thing; and wobble trap is nothing but fun. I wish more clubs threw wobble targets.

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Ditto on the difficulty rating of bunker vs. ALL other clay games.

My teen son shoots the bunker and we're very fortunate to have an excellent facility within a reasonable driving distance.

Wobbles makes for a fun variation but it is no substitute for the bunker - the kids that shot at the National Junior Olympics this year are testament to that - great ATA shooters, excellent wobbles shooters, didn't do so good when it came to the bunker. The bunker targets are just so much faster and harder angled - if you don't have a great move you're done - LOST.

Trap shooters a bunch of babies when it comes to target setting, can you imagine the fit they would throw trying to get the bunker settings to where they like 'em. Oh man, that would be hilarious.

13. I WON

I WON TS Member

ffwildcat

I agree Wobble is no comparision to Bunker, Bunker is best described as clays with afterburners. I asked a gentleman that has been an ATA shooter all his life to join me in a round of Bunker, and he agreed. I thought at first he just wanted to get a good look at the targets when I realized he never saw them. He could not pick the target up. 0 out of 25 targets.
    I would like to have Wobble Trap a registered event. This would in my opinion attract so many more to our game. Unfortunatley, the ones making the decisions at ATA are seniors and (my opinion again) can not relate to the younger shooter.

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

By the way...when my wife missed, I picked up her target, then mine. Some of mine were waaay out there; I was using 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads with an improved modified choke, and when I was on, I crushed them. Add me to the 7/8 oz. fan club!

15. I WON

I WON TS Member

If you are going that far keep going to 24 grams. What seperates the Men from the Boy's besides the price of our toys is "PELLETS"....

16. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Shooting Coach said;

"Throw targets that will keep your members happy and coming back. PERIOD."

Very nice post Coach,,all of it,,and I will add 'legal' as well.

17. I WON

I WON TS Member

That's very good but that is just his opinion, Period.

18. I WON

I WON TS Member

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It nice that you believe in something, wobble and bunker. But to come on here and ridicule, berate other shooters for not choosing you sport is ridiculous. Your sport lacks one thing and that is SHOOTERS. I know several clubs who have wobble traps and they set idle most of the time, nobody WANTS to shoot on them. They are for fun days only. You bunker shooters start thumping your chests on how hard bunker is, maybe if there were more facilities available you would have more shooters. Who wants to drive 300, 400 or more miles to get to a facility. If you have facilities available to you, great. You make fun of the ATA for not promoting your sports, why should they?? You are a minority of all shooters, you are the salvation of none, accept it and move on. Build a bunker and put in wobble traps at every trap club in America and maybe you to can reach the popularity of Amrican Trap. Ask the tooth fairy for the money to do this because the shooters won't give it.

By the way all shooting sports are good, some are just more popular.

Don

20. I WON

I WON TS Member

Do Do Don, you have just PROVED the point that ata shooters do not, will not shoot a difficult game. I just made this clear for YOU again, SHI_ FOR BRAINS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.