1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wobble trap woes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

My recreation club offers free trap shoots a few times a summer for members(its the only time we ever get to use our almost new trap machine) the problem is they only shoot wobble.

I cannot seem to hit a bird, I was never amazing at trap usually scoring 19-22, but now im averaging 12-13, and even had a few single digit rounds.

Any pointers? Different holds? I need to redeem myself. thanks, Rich

2. dfm

dfm Member

I think the flatter, more oblique angles throw a lot of guys at first. Stay with the gun and make sure to follow through. Also, hold into the house a good amount. It'll help you pick up the low screamers sooner.

3. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I just hold lower so I see the those low flyers. At first I thought wobble was gonna be hard because I shoot a high POI gun. Well you know how a trapshooters mind can go. It's really just like shooting singles with a bad trap machine or some wind added. Todd

4. webley

webley TS Member

Rich,

I’m not sure if the prescribed target distances & angles are exactly the same in the USA for ‘wobble trap’ as they are in the UK for our ABT (which is what wobble trap is called here). Our targets should in theory fly about 81 yards (75 metres) & vary by 45 degrees either side of the trap centreline (plus elevation changes). From what I’ve read elsewhere it seems that some (many?) wobble trap layouts in the US throw slower targets. I assume your trap is also correctly set in a short bunker with the roof at ground level?

As Todd wrote - the variations in angles & elevations can be similar to badly set ATA layout on a very windy day. The target speed though is not like ATA ‘singles’ (or shouldn’t be!).

From what I’ve seen over here the two main problems people encounter when trying ABT after slower ‘singles’ are firstly not picking the targets up due to holding or looking in the wrong place & secondly trying to consciously give ‘lead’.

You can hit some or even most of the targets using all sorts of methods & styles but life is easier with a good basic technique.

As Todd & DFM mentioned - hold fairly low on the middle of the trap house, the lip of the bunker roof or a few inches above is ok for a start. As you progress you’ll find the best point to look for yourself but again as just a starter – look a bit higher than the muzzles of your gun (your centre of vision will be 10 or so yards beyond the house).

Your stance should be set to allow you to swing faster & through a greater angle than required for ATA singles.

I don’t know if you try to consciously give & see visible lead on your normal singles targets but you shouldn’t try to do so on correctly set wobble trap targets. As soon as you see the target & the line it’s taking – move the gun to it as quickly as you can (try not a snatch or jerk the gun though) & pull the trigger as the muzzles reach the clay - keeping the swing going & head down. The momentum of the rapidly moving gun should give you the lead you require.

It should be a fast & instinctive technique.

Regards

Russell

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Russel...at the clubs that i shoot at, we shoot wobble from 19 yards and crank up the speed to almost shattering the birds.

We allow 2 shots and award 2 points if broken with the 1st shot, 1 point if broken with the 2nd shot.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

It is humbling aint it ...

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

do NOT move the gun before you see the bird. you would be amazed how many people cheat and move their gun before the bird launches. in trap you might be able to get away with it but in wobbles it will lead to a lost bird.
    take your time when you mount the gun, quiet your eyes, then call for the bird and attack it.
    at our tiny little club in el dorado we shoot a lot of wobbles, we hold registered wobbles shoots and they are only 1 shot per bird, not 2. we also shoot a 3/4 variation which is shot from the 12 yard line, very difficult as the angles are much deeper. wobbles is wonderful training for trap as evidenced by how many trophies our club took home from the recent PITA state shoot.
    persevere with learning wobbles, you'll soon pick it up and your trap scores will take off too.

8. richrob

richrob TS Member

Our club shoots out of a standard trap house, from the 16 yard line. Im not 100% sure but it seems that the birds do leave the house faster.

The basics Im getting are hold the gun a little lower and follow the bird a little longer.

Im hoping that this will help me to pick up the bird quicker for standard trap, but will waiting a little longer to shoot hurt?

Thanks for all the tips, Rich

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

will waiting a little longer to shoot the target hurt?

Yes.

Learning to acquire the target and making a quick, controlled move to shoot it while it is still rising is the way to go. Waiting achieves nothing. Let your brain do its job, it really is an amazing computer and is very efficient and letting you know when to shoot.

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

be aggressive.

11. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

is wobble the same as continental?

12. Bass

Bass TS Member

I estimate that 90% of targets at my club are shot from the wobble setting on our Pattrap, including 16, handicap, protectioon and SKAT.

Although it is not ATA trap, we believe that wobble, with its various target presentations, makes us better shooters overall. Hold your gun lower than for ATA, don'tanticipate the target (use "soft focus"} and look for the bird.

I think it is much more challenging than standard trap-and that is what we seek at my club.

We play lots of games , almost always using the wobble setting.

13. Bass

Bass TS Member

I estimate that 90% of targets at my club are shot from the wobble setting on our Pattrap, including 16, handicap, protectioon and SKAT.

Although it is not ATA trap, we believe that wobble, with its various target presentations, makes us better shooters overall. Hold your gun lower than for ATA, don'tanticipate the target (use "soft focus"} and look for the bird.

I think it is much more challenging than standard trap-and that is what we seek at my club.

We play lots of games , almost always using the wobble setting.