1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wobble Trap and Regular Trap?Does it hurt or help?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Luckyman, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Does shooting Wobble Trap help or hurt your regular Trap shooting? I find that after I shoot Wobble Trap regular trap seems easier....

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm from the thinkers who believe any time you find a way to pull (or release) the trigger at a clay bird it's got to help your basic skills. Wobble (Continental Trap) especially can't hurt your experience with regular trap and will help you concentrate on the targets as you should - well, it may have you trying to shoot twice at a bird I reckon.<;-).....Bob Dodd

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Wobble trap (and Bunker) force you to use a low hold point. If that's not you're regular technique you're practicing something different than your normal style.

I personally don't like wobble, and I think it's really not that difficult. You hold for the low target, and just take extra time to get to the very high target. It's not the challenge of the subtle changes from the wind in target height and angle that you get in regular shooting.

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

For my experience since we just had a GMV wobble added to our club , it makes you slow down a little and stay into the gun . 4th round shooting it, on a different day I got a 25 but now we don`t shoot it regularly so every next time is always new . Very good sport and we will be trying the wobble doubles soon . I hope to be the first with a straight in that too ??????????????????

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try wobble scrap with an unsingle. Guaranteed to make you invent new cuss words.

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I know alot of guys won't want to hear it because all they ever shot was trap. Go try your hand at Skeet, 5-Stand and Sporting Clays. It may wind up being a humbling experience the first time or so but, you'll leave there knowing what it is to swing a gun. You'll probably get somewhat addicted.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Along with shooting the wobble at our club from time to time we also started a modified sporting set up about half way from the trap house to position 3 and set the other stations up in a semi circle left and right farther spread than a normal 5 station . We then shoot a single and 2 pair fom each station - dropped stock as sporting should be, with a delayed pull from the scorer . Yes that is more humbling . We will have the same type of set-up using station 1-3-5 plus a left and right stations set-up left of 1 and right of 5 so that all distances are equal . Great for hunters to get ready and trapshooters to have a big laugh when your done . You can do either with standard 16 yd targets , wobble or wobble doubles .

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I find it difficult to believe that any game that reinforces keeping your face in the stock and keep the gun moving can be bad for ANY shooting game.

As far as Dicktrax' point, above, quite a few people in bunker and wobble are shooting 'high gun' and use a 'horseshoe' move to get to the grass-cutters. A 'horseshoe' move is pretty handy to have in benchrest trap, too, yanno.

There is no doubt a flat(ter) shooting gun is better for wobble, especially if they are throwing international distances and angles, rather than not-to-exceed 10ยบ beachballs.

Bob

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

At our club we shoot chinese wobble ( wobble from the skeet positions) it really keeps the gun swinging and your head down on the stock.

10. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

How many times does it happen that you fail to get up to a target that climbs a little or slip over the top of a flat one? For me, and your mileage may vary, wobble reminds me to stay in the gun and shoot where the target is, not where it is supposed to be. I think this is what separates the great for the good...the great ALWAYS give EVERY target their FULL attention. Kind Regards-Graham.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Luckyman...

I'm also a believer in that more shooting and shooting more displines makes one a better overall shooter. That said, I suppose if the goal is to become the next "Leo" or "Harlan", maybe Wobble Trap wont help get you there... but if the goal is to become a better shot in general - keep pulling them wobblers, and I would agree that skeet and sporting add to the flavor!

regards all,

Jay

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I find that shooting skeet and wobble helps my trap game. If I just shoot trap I start to take the smoke for granted. The wobble helps my focus and skeet helps with my follow thru.

13. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

adjust a wobble machine to max spring tension & max throwing adjustments. let the fun begin. shoot a couple of rounds, then head back to the 16 yd line.. targets will look like watermellons to shoot at.

14. Dickgshot

What I don't like about Wobble is not that it's too hard - it's that it's too easy. I shoot a lot of Sporting Clays and 5-stand - disciplines that are more challenging and test your ability to hit a target. Set a Wobble like Hatshooter suggests - I'm all for that. I'd just like something different than Singles with a couple low targets and a couple high ones.

As far as bunker shooters using a high hold, well, I've watched a lot of bunker and I've never seen even one shooter from any country shooting a high gun.

15. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

dickie-g

best to keep your mouth closed and have people assume you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

:)

maybe that's a little harsh but your last statement is just plain untrue. the high hold is now commonplace.

as for other games hurting/helping. i've seen no evidence of it hurting. i personally think there is something to be learned from each game that you can bring to whatever clay target sport you pursue including trap to the other games.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Doesn't hurt. Might help.

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Wobble and International Trap Set Up is a challenge and keeps you sharp, and the 2nd shot requires you to stay in the gun.

Good for shooting Doves, and Ducks, Teal, Woodcock and the lot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. Dickgshot

ffwildcat: "I've watched a lot of bunker and I've never seen even one shooter from any country shooting a high gun."

Anything there other than my saying what I personally have seen?

I don't claim to be an expert. I shot a lot with Derek Partridge in Las Vegas. We talked about bunker technique (he talked, I listened). Steve Carmichael, Adam Curtis and his dad built a bunker there. I shot with Guy Avedisian back in Illinois. I've shot at Prado, Triple B and Coon Creek. Watched every ISSF_TV video I could. So, I think at least I'm entitled to an opinon.

This is a discussion forum. I don't insult anybody, and I don't think you need to either.

19. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I'm not sure it helps directly, but you might think it does, so that will make you shoot better. Amazing how powerful the mind is. Some people say that wobble is good training for wind, but I think that's a load of crap because the birds don't come out at different heights, the wind catches them and they bounce/dive/whatever. I don't shoot it to get better, I just shoot it because it's fun.
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
trap wobblers vs regular
wobble trap instructions hold point

wobble trap vs trap