1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wobble Pat Trap and ATA Registered Shoots ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgun, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgun

shotgun TS Member

Would Like to know if anybody is using Wobble Pat Traps in their registered ATA programs. Our club refuses to shoot registered ATA trap targets off of our Wobble Pat trap. The word is it throws a different target ? I know put it in manual. Anybody have a problem with shooting ATA registered trap target off a wobble Pat Trap when the targets are properly set to ATA standards? Thanks for the input. Jerry

2. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

I don't think it would be a problem at all. National Shooting Complex in San Antonio, host of the Southwestern Grand, and in the Texas State Shoot rotation has all Wobble Pats on the top line. They did this so they could host the Junior Olympic shotgun sports as they allow the wobble traps for an approximation of bunker. I don't believe the target is any different at all when the height is set to manual as you say. I also know of several other clubs that have thrown registered birds off their Wobble Pats set to Manual.

James Allen

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The only other change you'd have to make is in your setting of the stops for the angles. Should not be a problem. As many of us know, if you can tell a story long enough and loud enough, soon it becomes reality. Good luck, Bob

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Oh mercy! What a crock. How silly of an excuse can you get for missing a target????? And I thought I'd heard every excuse imaginable. The best excuse I'd heard about the Pat-Trap before this one was when single targets (Not Doubles)were being thrown much faster to the right than to the left......and the guy was absolutely serious!

The Machines are absolutely identical except a hydraulic cylinder is substituted for the elevation cog up front.

If the Pat-Trap with wobble throws a different target than the one without, then there is something else wrong.

Mark

5. BYRDSHOOTER1

BYRDSHOOTER1 TS Member

I agree, we have two Pat-Trap Wobble's we use them year round. We thrown MILLIONS of targets off them. Only had one problem during a Reg. shoot, the cylinder was leaking witch caused the machine to drop in height. It was noticed right away and was taken care of. But throwing a different target, impossible.

Pat

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I belong to a very nice club with three regular Pats and one wobble trap. All four machines are set carefully for registered shoots, and there's no way to tell which trap has the wobbler.

7. shotgun

shotgun TS Member

Thanks Shooters for confirming what I thought. Hope to get some more input on this matter. Thanks All Jerry

8. Bob Hawkes

Jerry, LOL, I hope you don't go running off with all the information gleaned from the experts on TS.com and get your fanny handed to you. Seriously, it's a shame such foolishness gets started. Best of luck to you and your club, Bob

9. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hi All,
    At Mother Lode Gun Club in Jamestown, CA., our #1 trap is a

Pat Trap Wobbler. Most all non-members and a lot of members don't

realize it! When all 4 Traps are set to ATA Singles, guess which Trap

everyone thinks throws the best birds? If you guessed #1 you get the

whole Lewis Purse!!!!!

The other 3 are standard Pat Traps. So go figure! All 4 Traps throw

ATA legal birds, height and distance set, clocked for speed.

Might just want to take a quick look to see no hydraulic oil

is leaking.

Mike C.

Groveland, CA

ATA Vet

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

A whole LOT'a clubs are throwing ATA registered targets off Pat Wobble Traps. You just set the switch on "manual" and set the height with the "up/down" buttons. Only problem we've noticed is; (as pointed out above) if you've got a little leak in the system it might slowly creep up or down over time so you might have to re-set the height occasionally. I'm sure if it got bad enuf' you could fix it by replacing an "O" ring or something?

John C. Saubak

11. shotgun

shotgun TS Member

Bob that's funny: Just looking for some honest info. Does anybody know why we should not shoot registered ATA targets off a properly set Wobble pat trap, providing the targets are set to ATA standards?? Thanks Jerry

12. Bob Hawkes

Hi Jerry, Funny but all too true. The direct/correct answer to your question is absolutely not. We need all the good targets in the air possible, no matter what machine they are thrown from. Good luck, Bob

13. codybob

codybob TS Member

We have four PAT wobble traps and have had no problems setting them for legal ATA targets here in Cody, WY. Though when the wind comes up some shooters swear the machines are set on wobble.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Good Lord. I wish I was there when someone said that, so I could ask the reason why such a thing happens.

If anyone says the wobble trap throws a different bird, just say "Why so?"

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.