1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wizard Outboard

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if anybody here can give me some info on this old Western Auto Wizard Outboard. It is a 2 stroke and runs like a top. It has a halfass paint job on the cowling/fuel tank but the rest is pretty original i believe. Its a 3.5HP and as i said, it purrs like a kitten. Couldn't pass it up for $20. Did i get hurt paying that for it? Any and all info welcome. Thanks--Matt
    grntitan_2009_250392.jpg

grntitan_2009_250394.jpg

grntitan_2009_250395.jpg

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

of course you've already did the google search??

Mercury engines, sort of...

3. grntitan

Actually Jim i did do a Google but came up real short on info. Just curious on history and worth. I know the Evinrude 2 Stroke i had didn't start near as easy as this one. So i guess Mercury parts from back then will work on the Wizards?

Any idea of age of this one?

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

For some reason the brand West Bend sticks in my mind as the maker of the Western Auto Motors

TB

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

MORE INFO>>>

History becomes the Future – 2/1/2005
    The evolution of United States Motor Power started back in 1946 with the West Bend Company producing outboard engines primarily under private label brands. The West Bend Company really got things going in 1951 with an offspring of a 1 1/4 horsepower, air cooled outboard power head. The first use of these engines was for brush cutters and chainsaws. In the mid 1950’s McCulloch came out with a twin, side by side rotary lawn mower power by the West Bend engine. The machine was not engineered well and fell apart, but the engines ran great leaving over 30,000 for the surplus market. In 1956 Art Ingels developed the world’s first go-kart using one of the surplus West Bend engines.
    In the late 50’s and early 60’s karting boomed and production of the kart engines actually surpassed the production of outboards. In 1965 Chrysler took over and continued on into the 70’s and early 80’s. Through this time the industrial engine now known as the Chrysler Power Bee really took off. The industrial engine was being used in a wide variety of applications such as: tampers, pumps, rescue tools, recreational vehicles, ground augers, and others.
    In the 80’s Chrysler sold the small engine line and outboards to Brunswick, who also owns Mercury Marine. Brunswick then changed the name from Chrysler to US Marine. In 1991 Brunswick sold the US Marine Industrial Power Bee line to Wisconsin Oven Corporation who renamed the current company United States Motor Power. U.S. Motor Power moved from Hartford, WI and can now be found in East Troy, WI and on the Internet!!

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm just going by what the article say's..

"
    From the end of World War II until the late '50s, Mercury made outboards which were sold by Western Auto stores under the "Wizard " name. These were usually specially -built versions and not just re-labled standard Mercury models. This advertisement from 1950."

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Oliver had the contract for Wizards for a while, Carl Kiekhafer got it later after he got Mercury6 going from the old Cedarburg Mfg. Co in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.

There is some Oliver stuff on the net, and the Wizard name is confusing since they were made by at least 2 companies, maybe more.

Yours looks like the old Power Products motors we played with in the 50's.

Vintage ouutboard forums can help.

HM

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Go price a new one any make. If it runs you got a good deal,I like the gas
    see-thru filter on it. As long as it is running you will can get your money back easy. I would use it and enjoy it. Ken U

9. burtona

burtona Member

My dad and I used a Mercury built Wizzard 6 HP back in the mid 50's and I used it after he died until the late 60's. As I remember I bought any needed parts from the Mercury dealer. It had an integral tank and it caught fire one time after I spilled a little gas under the cowl while fueling. it went out quickly after some frantic splashing and I tried to be a little more careful after that incident.

10. grntitan

Hey thanks guys.

Its already paid for itself in my eyes. My 17yr old and i splashed around on a little local lake with it for hours yesterday. It moves our little two man boat pretty well. I've blown $20 before and got alot less for my money.

11. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Your Wizard was made by Chrysler Marine (West Bend) it is a 3.5hp 1967, The Mercury (Kiekhaefer) made Wizards from 1941 to 1957. These motors were about a year or two behind the Mercurys of the same year. Mash the link!

12. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

My dad has pretty much the same outboard with Sears (Ted Williams) badging on it. It's always done it's job. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it's a pain in the butt to turn it around to go in reverse. I'd much rather have a reversible lower unit, but for $20 you got a steal.

--Dan

13. grntitan

twoatlow8--Thanks for the info and the link.

Actually thank you to everyone for the replies.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I had one exactly like it when I was a kid. Direct drive, air cooled and to go in reverse you simply spun it around. The glass carb float bowl is easy to see if there's any crap in it and you can remove it without any tools.

If you're just putzing around a small pond it may be OK, but if you're planning on taking it out for any amount of time on bigger water, I would highly suggest not doing so.

15. grntitan

Tron--Its just a little two man boat. Forget the motor, i wouldn't take that dang boat out on any bigger water. I don't care much for the size of the boat much to start with. It was a bargain my son bought. They sit up too high for such a short narrow boat. I don't mind going swimming but not when i'm trying to fish. LOL

Of course i have had my Grumman Canoe on the Mississippi River with my small Evinrude outboard. It was a butt tight ride for me anyway. I don't trust that big river.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

antique wizard outboard motor

vintage oliver outboard forums

vintage wizard outboard motor

vintage wizard outboard motor 6 horsepower current prives

who made wizard outboard motors

wizard outboard

wizard outboard motor cedarburg wi

wizard outboard sign western auto