1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wives and Trapshooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

My wife is a professional/career type. She doesn't spend all day at home starved for adult contact. She has a circle of friends common to her career. If she wasn't a shooter too, she would not need to come to the range with me every week just to have people to talk to. She doesn't define herself by my interests. She attends club activities as a member and not as the "women's auxiliary" (a term she finds very demeaning).

And one of the things I can easily do without are children who should be under constant supervision being ignored in a dangerous environment by their gossiping, card-playing mother while father is shooting.

Morgan

2. calilori

calilori TS Member

My wife isn't interested in coming out either! ;)

3. calilori

calilori TS Member

My wife isn't interested in coming out either! ;)

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If they are not into it, shooting or the hanging out at a trap shoot, they probably shouldnt be there.

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

otnot.......Think about it! Why do many wives send their husbands off to shoot trap?

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I also returned to trapshooting after about 20 yrs. Unfortunately many of the shooters I knew are now deceased. AS Otnot said their wives were there playing cards or whatever. Possibly the younger generation wives have other interests with kids and all. Team sports are very popular on weekends.

We need to spread the word that shooting is fun and make this a family affair again. Gerald

7. gotbass

gotbass Member

Morgan - did you get all those woman's lib buzz words at your last political correctness meeting? I'm sorry but you spread a lot of bovine nightsoil (bullshit) Your redeeming grace is that you and your wife are shooters. Not a flame as everyone has a right to their opinion. Yours in sport. Mike PS. If you chose to not have kids you are the only loser.

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Morgan - did you get all those woman's lib buzz words at your last political correctness meeting? I'm sorry but you spread a lot of bovine nightsoil (bullshit) Your redeeming grace is that you and your wife are shooters. Not a flame as everyone has a right to their opinion. Yours in sport. Mike PS. If you chose to not have kids you are the only loser."

Bass,

I'll ignore the stupidity of most of your reply but I understand. I know other men like you who are so afraid of their wives that they'll will do everything they can to keep them barefoot and pregnant to keep them from getting out of control. Just hang in there!

But I ask simply where in my post you got the idea I don't have kids; I just hate being subjected to the results of other peoples'lousy parenting.

Morgan

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Most wives prefer to shoot skeet.

10. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Shooting is too expensive already!! If she wanted to shoot I couldn't afford it also. She considers it MY hobby and that suits me just fine. When a bunch of men are together having a good time, women are just party poopers anyway (Watch your language etc.) Me and my buddys have a GREAT time shooting together, and we would like to keep it that way.

P.S. If I'm going some place with good shopping and restaurants for the weekend, she will sometimes come with me, and shop or sit by the hotel pool with a good book. Just what she would prefer, relaxation. That suits me just great too.

11. Donm

Donm Active Member

Boy Capy. I sure am glad I'm not your child.

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My wife started trap shooting about a year ago. She just got interested in it after tagging along a few times. Besides shooting she has found new friends that attend while their husbands shoot. Cards and gossip are always part of her shoot.
    She's even gotten to the point of wanting to get a camper so we can stay on the grounds at night and enjoy the fun. The extra cost of her shooting (new gun, dud's, fee's an ammo) are something I'll gladly afford just to have a partner that's will to travel and shoot with me.
    We also have the privilege of shooting with our youngest son at times, it's turned into a fun family time.
    Most of the shoots I attend are also attended by wifes and sometimes dogs and kid's. Non of which has ever bothered me.
    Even the Grand offered things for the wifes to do, more clubs should take the hint.

13. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

otnot......That is as it should be. Getting the family involved always makes for a good situation....and more enjoyable shooting.

14. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

I can see some problems here. Take Trap2 for example. He has a love affair going with his DB-81. Now what happens if his wife decides to tag along to a shoot too. Here's a toast to wives and girlfriends...may they never meet.

LL

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Keep your wife at the other end of the trap line. And between rounds you can both "Cross Stitch, or Knit" together.

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Calilori, well, if your wife won't come, how about your girlfriend, LOL...

Seriously, I'm glad to see women shooting - we only have about 3 in Alaska that shoot regularly.

OTNOT and I have been scheming to try and find a way to get more participation. Wives and kids were our first thought - and the more I think about it, the more I think it's a big problem. I grew up at the gun club. Right now there's no wives/kids hanging around the clubs - so where's our next generation of shooters going to come from? The kids aren't getting any exposure.

17. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Most of the clubs back in the 60's and 70's had activities for the wifes and kids. Not any longer. I also came back to shooting after 25 years away from it and was surprised how many shooters shoot the event and disappear. It used to be that we would hang out, have a few beers, play some cards, etc. It was like a fraternity. I miss that, but understand the fast pace that people live in now days. It's time to stop and smell the roses in my humble opinion. Richard

18. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" Boy Capy. I sure am glad I'm not your child."

I guess I should be glad too, huh?

Morgan

19. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I consider myself lucky. My wife likes to shoot a little practice once in awhile, not interested in ATA. She does love to hand quilt, so she always has a quilt or 2 ready to work on when the shooting season starts. Since the kids have left the nest, it's great that we can travel to shoots and enjoy our hobbies together. Harv Shell

20. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I'm the "wife" and I've always shot more than he has. My problem with getting him to shoot more is he'd rather go fishing, camping or he's working. Right now he's recovering from a bone graft in his jaw, so he can't shoot, even if he wanted to. That's just the way it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.