1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Withdrawing sale after buyer says I'll take it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Jul 19, 2013.

1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If I recall, an advertisement for an item is an invitation to make an offer. Unless the seller accepts the prospective purchaser's offer, there is no meeting of the minds...

Jay

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Looks like the initial post was withdrawn before we could discuss it. Is that the same thing? Mark

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I recently tried to buy something on Ebay. Ebay sent me a message saying that the item had already been sold, so I bought something else on Ebay. The seller thinks it's my fault. I told him to pound sand as he got nasty. Tough crap, I sez. All deals are not a deal. Bear.

5. RayReys

RayReys Member

Lol sorry - was trying to edit while in semi stopped traffic on an iphone (I know, I shouldn't have) so ended up deleting after fudging my editing...thought I saw no posts, so thought no views (so I thought!) and figured, eh I'll post up later...now home with a beer:

So in both cases, I was the prospective buyer.

First one was several months ago. I had seen an ad on one of the local forums for a Browning Broadway. I made an offer and said I'd take it if he accepted, which he did. We then made arrangements to meet after work a couple of days later. That day, I got cash and grabbed an empty case, and spent the whole day elated that I'd finally own the first over/under I had ever shot. I get a private message saying that the gun actually belonged to a friend he was helping out, and that said friend had sold the Broadway to a coworker a few days before, WITHOUT telling the seller. I was bummed, but I understood and let it go. He did try to make amends, which was cool of him. Chalked it up to a "wasn't meant to be" conclusion :)

So last night, I'm browsing said local forum and spot an ad for a Model 12 in 12g. I PM the seller and ask if there were pics, info such as barrel length, configuration, serial number. He then posted some pics and sent me the serial number. I made an offer, a proposal to meet at a local range, and if it checked out - I would take it. He said he'd accept the offer, but wanted a definite 'yes'. I made a definite "I'll take it" and asked when to meet. He said he was out of town but would coordinate with me upon his return. I checked my mail and whatnot while on a quick work break towards the end of the day today, and got:

"I just wanted to let you know my son changed his mind and decided not to sell the shotty. Hope there was no inconvenience, Thank You, ***"

There was no mention that the gun belonged to his son. Bummed again after saying yes and confirming that a meet was on, sure am.

I probably shouldn't be so excited until money and item have exchanged hands lol.

I've read others' posts on here speaking of similar situations, so figured I'd share and vent to some folks :)

I'm not even going to bring up the time I got stood up for a meet at the local FFL for a Beretta AL2... :/

PS. my transactions on TS - WAY better than the three experiences I've had from local folk.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It happened couple times, buyer got all the details, and confirmed he'll take it, payment will be sent after he got off work the next day. Then I got a short email next day saying: "I can not buy it. Thank you for your time."

So now, I'll hold an item for a buyer if he confirms payment was sent, or he will send it tomorrow, until then, it's still an open deal.

7. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

I've had a seller let me sit at a meeting point for over an hour before I finally gave up and went home. Took three days and calling from a different phone number to finally get a "I changed my mind" response from the seller.
    I've also had the opposite happen where the buyer never showed after waiting at a meeting spot. This is why I don't hold items for buyers and don't offer to meet more than a couple miles from my house.