1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

With due respect, you don't know what "sick" is...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by crusha, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

With due respect, you don't know what

(stomp - stomp)

2. turmite

turmite Member

I don't know about sick, but I know this one is unblievable,,,,well, at least really good! lol

Mike

3. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Very good. If you like this, then I would refer you to Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of the same guitar boogie. I don't think either of these white boys did it first, but they both did it darn good.

I live in Maryland and there is a fella with a garage that sometime closes the place and has little music shows (with some coolers of beer and water melon in the summer). Brings in what I would call Americana music...Appalachian folk, hard to classify stuff...not blue grass exactly...but Americana is the best I can describe. About three years ago there was this fella who won, what is apparently the National Flat Picking Contest. Him on guitar and fella on Mandolin who was unbelievable. I love seeing and listening to this kind of stuff.

Thanks for posting. Good all around.

Stephen Meyers

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

If you want to see the some music closer to the roots of this, this is Matt "Guitar" Murphy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q23LimQkvc

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Buzz: Thank you. I listened to several selections. Also I had never heard the sounds come out of a Ukelele like the young man Shimabukora made. Great you made my morning start something else.

Don

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

And I apparently don't either...I've watched him queue up and burn with other musicians I regard as fantastic in their genres...sitting there with purpose-built jazz guitars and such, and he almost sort of blows them off the stage with his little Maton box, in a good-natured manner, of course.

How in the fu-schnickens do you manage a thumb pick like that? I've used one ever since I started playing, and I've still never figured how how these guys like Tommy, Richard Smith, Jerry Donahue etc. can rip off those single-line runs like they're playing with a flat pick...and then just go right back into Travis picking like flipping a switch.

Sick I tell you.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Whoooeee! Great stuff.

Now tell me who was the guy that put it out in the late 50's and made the Charts? I'm trying but can't remember. I know the ventures did it but there was another before that. Let's see how many old guys know this one.

HM

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Buzz, my post was a different type of playing, i.e. bass. Compare apples to apples, would ya?

Musical is talent shows in technique, and your guy has talent.

But I think that musical talent is even greater when it is innovative.

Andy Mckee (turmite's post) is awesome. He uses slap techniques to combine percussion into the lead guitar. This is innovative. A similar technique using the thumb to slap the guitar strings was employed in jazz and funk bass back in the 70s to create a whole different sound.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Yeah, curvy...heck, even well before the 70's...Wes Montgomery. I've spent hours trying to perfect his octave technique.

But you've been here long enough to know, not to take stuff like this personally. I used your thread as an excuse to throw something else up, give people some enjoyment like you did. Lighten up, we're all friends here (well, with a few exceptions, but they're mostly gone now since the Blago thing broke...)

But back onto the family argument...no, I'm not buying your last post. I don't like to get into the "my player is better than your player" discussions, as I believe every musician brings their own special and valuable angle to music, regardless of their technical chops. I must point out some historical accuracies where slap-n-tap guitar is concerned, though. Andy McKee is good, but he didn't invent those techniques, or even further them. If you listen to some Michael Hedges (rest his soul) or Preston Reed, you'll see that Andy McKee is only a pup in a musical category invented by someone else. Hopefully he will use his recent "internet" success as a launching pad to further that area of guitar music beyond its present boundaries...but so far, he's just the latest traveler where others have already been. Although his popularity on the internet is well-deserved, and I've enjoyed watching his stuff myself, I do suspect that a lot of people who are "discovering" him are newcomers, who have never even heard of people like Michael Hedges and don't have that historical perspective.

I like and honor anyone who popularizes an art and brings it to a wider audience...but it would be nice if that audience would get interested enough to realize the wheel wasn't invented last week, and seek out and appreciate those who came before.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

One of my favorite guitarist, John Petrucci. Lead for Dream Theater.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t25AOSxZZkI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t25AOSxZZkI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jerbear

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

In 1967 while living in England I went with a lot of guys from my unit to the London theatre to see an artist who I think was named Chet Atkins. A little know fellow that opened for him was Tom Jones and then a fella by the name of Roy Clark came on stage and did things with a guitar that no one dreamed could be done. I think he was the best that I have ever seen in person and he could play any style of music. He could play the bass well too. I got to see him and BB King play together and that was a real treat. Roy came to my wife's family reunion one year with Shot Jackson(a relative of my wife's) and they played some for the family. Jackie B.

12. turmite

turmite Member

Personally I love about any kind of good guitar, but anything kinda new (to me) always gets my attention. Any of you know what a Chapman stick is? I would love to learn to play one of these, but old hands with arthur, sure makes for a bad dream!

Mike

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a7kIclA4yq4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a7kIclA4yq4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

I kind of like these kids, pretty much all their stuff.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SGvBteFZiGE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SGvBteFZiGE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

...and that Rushad Eggleston plays a mean Cello...

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Buzz Gun...who said I took anything personally? I just made a comment on the thread. Gee...

Wes Montgomery used is thumb to STRUM, not to slap. I know who Wes Montgomery is...I love jazz.

And I agree with you about Michael Hedges. He was in a class all of his own. I don't think anyone really touches him. He used a lot of innovative techniques. Hedges was a musician who definitely *felt* the music. You could see that in his performances. I never saw him play a bass, but I have no doubt that he could play it better than just about anybody.

I didn't know who Preston Reed was, so I looked him up on Wikipedia. From reading it, it sound like he was a lot like Hedges, but with a wider variety of musical genres. I'll have to make it a point to listen to some of his music.

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

Now come on, Denny.

If we had a 25-song repertoire, and murdered it over and over on acoustic instruments, you'd call us "Bluegrass." Give a brother a break, we just use more chords than you do.

(Lol, I'm reminded of the the old joke about playing 3 chords for 1,000 people, vs. 1,000 chords for 3 people).

17. crusha

crusha TS Member

Now that's no way to talk about The Duke, Denny. But for him, a lot of simian brutes out there wouldn't know what the black keys on a piano are for.

The dictionary is full of perfectly good nouns, adjectives, and adverbs that people in West Va have never heard of. Similarly, there's a whole world to be discovered in all those flats and sharps just above "the spot where the words begin."

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

"Hey Caleb..."

"What Claude?"

"Did you ev'r hear of some musissian what named hisself after a vegetable?"

"No Claude...who is he, one of these here I-talians?"

"No, some cacaphonous Kraut named Beet-something or other...s'posed to be big shit. Clarence's ol' lady done some a his stuff after church the other day, and it ain't real songs, just a buncha stuff he prob'ly made up hisself..."

"Made up hisself? Well, he's just all puffed up about hisself..."

"Yah, kinda like, 'member that Joplin guy come a-tearin' through here a few years back. Ever'body was makin' a big fuss about him, an' I sez, well, if'n he wuz any good, then why don't he play somethin' we know, so a body can tell if he's any good or not?"

"Like I sez, they's jus all puffed up about them selves..."

19. crusha

crusha TS Member

Denny, you been holdin' out on me...I didn't know you wuz famous...

20. crusha

crusha TS Member

Actually, Denny...I kinda like playing with guys who don't think "flat keys" are something you stick in a doorknob.

But regarding your reference to my "Nine Pound Hammer?" Well, let's just say, some of those barefoot mountain girls are fine-lookin', and without the occasional "infusion" from us well-hung jazz types, to keep the gene pool mixed up...you might just get what you see in that video clip. And it ain't pretty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.