1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wisconsin time for a home!! "Hodag"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by midalake, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

WTA Forget a home grounds....Too expensive and too much risk!!

Partner now with the Hodag club to move Wisconsin into the next century!!!!

Great site, great place...the time is NOW!!!!

GS

P.S> If you have not received a copy of the Hodag proposal in the mail call them for a copy!!!!

2. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Wisconsin time for a home!!

midalake, The vote was taken and Hodag was not the winner (link above). The BOD will move carfully on.The meeting tomorrow will make the move.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

We were lied to in the voting proposal.

Rome $1700/ acre. It is going to be a lot more than that.
    Rhi. free.

Taking out of timber;
    Rome $800/ acre.
    Rhi. $200/ acre.

Getting electrical;
    Rome is a long way away. Call for a price per foot and hang on to something.
    Rhi. it is already there.

We were told we had a million more in the bank than we really have.

Should I go on. Take off the rose colored glasses. This is reality. If Rome is so good lets get the bulldozers on the ground, but you better have the money in your pocket.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

How about Boxhorns?

5. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Lets forget the home grounds period! The way the enconomy is we are better off waiting. Rheinlander is not the answer either with gas at $4 and going up.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The Bazooka is right. With how frugal the shooters are in se Wisconsin, and gas continually rising, how many of them will spend the money to travel up north when they originally had the state shoot in their back yard?
    Steve Balistreri

7. SCL

SCL Member

Isn't there something around the Dells that would centrally locate you all?

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

ChampXXX. You need to get out more. Waukesha is not a dump.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Rhinelander is a "fur piece" for those of us in northern Illinois.
    I hope the state shoot doesn't stray too far from Milwaukee.
    Do people actually live in the Dells?

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I thought Ray Moser would only donate the money if it was located in Rome, Wisconsin.

11. Straight99

Straight99 Member

If the WTA buys Rome and goes bankrupt, the banks takes over and sells it off for hunting land. All Gone.

If the WTA goes to Rhi. and goes bankrupt, Rhi. will take over and still have the State Shoot.

If Rhi. goes bankrupt. WTA gets all the property and still has the State Shoot.

Think long term here.

12. Straight99

Straight99 Member

to dickgtax In the summer there are more Ill. licence plates in Rhinelander than Wi. If all of those people from Ill. can find the place, I do not think there will be a problem. I go to Madison at least 4 times a year and Milwaukee at least twice. After the sticker shock price on the gas dies down or the price goes down, people well be back to normal. Again think long term

13. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

Get Over It !!! Do you need a little cheese with you wine ? I thank the WTA for going forward.....

14. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

Anywhere but Waukesha!!!!

Since Gerbensky took over the club, it has gone down hill like a rock .... I live near by, but hate to give that club any of my money.

15. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler TS Member

It sounds to me like the membership has been given a couple "package" deals, showing the pros and cons of each site, but no costs or liabilities. I think it's great that the membership gets to have input on where they would like to see the homegrounds located, but worry that $$$ were never discussed before the ballots went out. Now I know some of you will say "You have no idea what things will cost until we pick a site, there are to many variables" Wrong answer...this is called a financial plan. Successful businesses assess the risk and know costs before they make decisions and take on such a venture, especially one that will nearly bankrupt them if it fails (WTA). The issue of not wanting to invest much time to figure costs for ALL sites PRIOR to the membership voting holds no water. These are the numbers you need to know!

You can not "assume" that anything will be given to you, and everything must come from a WTA bank account. Having contractors bid the work and getting a real feel for what things will cost at each site would benefit the membership BEFORE a letter giving you the opportunity to vote on a site without knowing the financial details. One thing to look closer at is, are there contingencies and timelines that need to be met with certain donated funds from a very generous resident, and if so, can you afford for these funds to fall through? What steps is the WTA taking to secure funds and utilize the 501(c)3 status before hand, and how will this affect the bottomline? This is a bundle of money! Now, there is no doubt in my mind that donations will come in, but unless you have written contracts with guaranteed funding (for anything), you must dismiss these donations....Period.

Do you think you made an educated decision, or one that just felt right. These are two very different things. Can your feelings support the sport of trapshooting in Wisconsin and fund it for the future? No doubt, Central Wisconsin is the PERFECT place to put such a facility. In my eyes, this is what the WTA should have sent to the membership before telling you that the background was consistant. Do you buy a house based on the pro's and Con's, or do the financials carry more weight? This is no different...hence the forclosure crisis.

I would caution the membership to look closer at the financials. If the WTA has a financial plan in place, and can afford such a venture, I am confident the membership will have a positive outcome. If not, and the WTA fails, it would nearly, if not completely, bankrupt itself leaving the membership with nothing. I applaud the effort being put forth in the state, and hope that sound decisions are made by those who hold power. Not an easy decision...

16. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

See if you can book a room near Rome for the days of the state shoot.

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have no particular dog in this race. With that being said, I am sure there are numerous people who have worked very hard trying to find a suitable site. Since the first time that I initially heard about a new home grounds, it must be at least 20 plus years ago.

By the time all the bickering and talk is done, people willing to donate money will most likely be long gone. It is admirable to open discussion up to obtain every ones opinion in this matter, but after 20 plus years of hashing and rehashing this same subject, the people in charge need to take the bull by the horns and get this deal done and finally make a decision, before we are all to old to participate in our sport.

It would be interesting to find out how long it has taken other states to find a new home grounds. Something is wrong here, and I will be the first to admit that I do not know the first thing about finding a suitable site. But 20 plus years seems to be way to long for any project of this type.
    Steve Balistreri

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A home grounds in the north end of Wisconsin will not be successful. It takes more than one event a year to make a facility financially viable. I hardly think 4 dollar a gallon gas will encourage the Southern shooters to go that far for weekend shoots other than the State shoot.

I'm halfway there, in Green Bay, and find the cost prohibitive.

I think the tourism industry is going to take a big hit this year also. We just went over 4 dollars here yesterday. I'm going out in the garage to pump up the tires on my bike.

HM.

19. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Mr. Spackler:

That was a very profound and well written piece. To the general knowledge of WTA members, none of what you have brought up has been done. We were asked to vote for a site with no information as to what financial impact any of the sites chosen would have. We've pretty much been treated like mushrooms; kept in the dark and fed B.S.

20. brad patterson

brad patterson Active Member

It never ceases to amaze me. No one will bring this discussion to the WTA website, then you have to use your real name. In the next week to ten days (approx.) you will see ouir recent minutes posted once they are approved by the BOD's. I think you'll see based on the minutes and the attachments that some pretty exciting things are starting to take place.

It also amazes me that so many think that their BOD's are a bunch of stupid morons. Why would anyone think that the BOD's wants this project to fail. Do you think maybe the process has taken awhile is because we want to make sure we get it right. Funny how for years, many have wanted a homegrounds. First we complain it's not happening or nothing is developing, now we complain things are happening and developing.

As for the Hodag. That site was not the first choice of the shooters, as the survey will show it was not even the first choice of the shooters in the zone it is from. It also does not mean it won't be the future site. That is still to be determined.

As for the WGC. The WTA and the WGC have a great relationship and that has happened due to a good working relationship over the past several years. The club has made lots of improvements to it's infrastructure and equipment over the past couple of years. They have upgraded all of the shooting venues and have shown economic growth in the shooting venues. About all they haven't done is rebuild all the west end traphouses or put in more power. With no long term contract in place, that does not make sound financial sense.

I take every call I receive as do my other fellow directors. If you have questions, contact your director. Or come to the BOD's meetings. You might then have a better knowledge base of the issues.

Brad Patterson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.